SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sonya_hodson

Ocean House: Milgard Ultra Fiberglass v. Marvin Fiberglass Windows?

Sonya Hodson
last year

I'm deep into the research of windows for an investment propertty that sits on the Central Coast of California. The property's windows seem not to fail, but are clunky to open and close, are dated and detract from the look of the home.

Our local contractor (who we like) recommends using the local window person and installing Milgard Ultra fiberglass. In the neighborhood about 25% of the homes have Milgard, 25% Anderson and 50% "other" windows. I've done a general look into the fiberglass options that Pella, Anderson, Marvin, Kolbe and Loewen. Are there "others" I ought to keep exploring?

#1 Since our contractor recommended Milgard Ultra fiberglass, I have focused on learning about the various fiberglass window options. But should I also be considering vinyl? What about Aluminum clad?

#2 Comparatively, are Milgard Ultra and Marvin Essential & Marvin Elevate of equal quality? Do Marvin windows add more value to a property? Is Milgard Ultra a lower grade of window than Marvin, Pella, Anderson and Kolbe? I read somewhere that Milgard is contractor grade. I assume a contractor grade would not be considered an upgrade?

#2 What distinguishes contractor, mid range, higher end and commercial grade of windows? A builder friend in the Midwest recommends using commercial grade products when possible.

With this being an ocean front property, durability and function are as important as aesthetics.

Thank you for all the insight, opions and experience.

Comments (2)