SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoria_lopez

what were your most useful cabinet upgrades?

Victoria
last year

Sooo many options with new cabinets, drawers vs doors, pull outs, spice racks, utensil holders. What were your favorite splurges and what not to bother with?

Comments (47)

• Sherry Brighton
    last year

The best was the garbage pullout and the deep drawers for pots and pans. I went with almost all drawers in my reno and never regretted it. I also love the sheet pan storage with the divides. Don't bother with the spice rack cabinet. If you can, get one that attaches to the inside of the pantry door. You can see what you have more easily.

• Helen
    last year

I am not sure they are splurges but some of my upgrades

Deep drawers

Where I had a few lower cabinets with doors instead of drawers, rollouts installed. These are in cabinets which are not opened that frequently so the two motions of opening door and pulling out the rollout aren't an issue

Installing a rollout in my sink cabinet so that everything is accessible

Cladding sink cabinet with formica for easy cleaning - I also had all of my shelves clad in formica so they could be wiped easily and have a more durable finish

Having cabinet above wall oven fitted with dividers which hold most of my pans. Since the dividers are movable, they have both narrow slots for sheet pans and wider pans which hold roaster pans

Instead of toe kick drawers, I had toe kick step stools made which enable me to reach the top shelf without bringing out a step stool. The slight elevation makes all the difference.

I had the top drawer of the cabinet next to the sink where I prep fitted with knife holder so that I don't have a knife holder on the counter. I like having the absolute minimum on counters as they look less cluttered and are easier to wipe down. Having the knife holder in the drawer is as accessible as having a more traditional knife holder.

• Related Discussions

April is behind us, what were your top 5 performers in April?

Q

Comments (23)
    Prairiemoon2, I checked my records and my Sweet Kate was planted in the spring of 2003. To my eye it appears to be slightly smaller than some of the other green Trads that I have in the back of my yard (no record of the variety of these). It definitely has finer foliage, more grass-like, and has not spread at all for me. My green ones reseed around a bit, but not heavily. I also have 3 Bowles Golden sedges (Carex) that are also clumpers. These are quite a bit taller, maybe 2 1/2 feet or so and are planted in my "wet" garden. I have never had Bowles Golden reseed at all since they were planted in 2002. I have never divided them either, so their growth while fast in the beginning is very moderate later on. These were grown from plugs in basically unimproved heavy wet clay soil. Both these are lovely gold/chartreuse plants, that don't fade out much (the Bowles a little more than SK) at all in a zone 5 mostly sunny garden. As the thicketing shrubs in the "wet" garden have grown up & thrown more shade the Bowles has become more chartreuse in summer for me than gold.
    ...See More

If your stained cabinets were built by a cabinet shop

Q

Comments (2)
    We have solid wood cabinets but they stained the bottom. However it is about 50/50, some finish and some don't. Our old house wasn't finished and they were manufactured.
    ...See More

What were your most fundamental changes?

Q

Comments (14)
    I resolved to use the space that I have instead of always worrying that I didn't have enough. I have a bizarre problem deciding what to put in drawers or on shelves because I always feel it has to MAKE SENSE - be convenient, logical, organized, and optimally use the space. So I often have empty drawers (or drawers full of dead stuff), or shelves, with floors around them piled with stuff, because I just can't see the right answer for that drawer. So what I try to do now is put the THINGS I have into the SPACE that I have, and just count on myself to learn what is where. The house is small enough that even if it is up or downstairs or in the other room when I need it, it's not far away. And so what if I now have power tools and books lined up together in the basement - I know where they are when I need them. My other change was to determine to make space for the stuff that I have, rather than abusing myself for having too much. Yes, I know I have too much, but unless it's absolutely obvious that it can go, I organize it first, THEN I sort and get rid of the excess. Or, maybe not. That leads to my third new principle, which is that I forgive myself for being who I am - I collect, I obsess, I overdo things... those are my strengths in other parts of my life, and so I can't overly abuse myself for those same qualities applied differently. I just have to manage the stuff (via my first two resolutions) so that it doesn't make for a cluttered, disorganized life. Much of what Claire de Luna said above also applies. And Frankie, I leave little messes exactly like that - my idea of happiness is when I am alone at home for the day and can start (spread out) all the tools and materials for what I want to take on that day, and then go from one project to the other as the mood and time are right). It's pretty funny, really, but I make progress in a way that I rarely can when everyone is home. One of my worst mess-makers is actually that because I do my projects in the house living area (kitchen table, for instance) rather than in a workshop, I have to clean up after every day, which paradoxically messes me up more since I always put it away as if to start again the next day, which never happens. So when I can, I also create work areas (eg, for stripping paint I have a set-up outside for the summer which stays intact between sessions). KarinL
    ...See More

What finish(satin or eggshell) do most of you use on your walls?

Q

Comments (25)
    LOL Ok depends on the house. In my alaska home I want reflective quality in the winter, so most straight painted walls and ceilings are in semi-gloss (shock and horror and yet it looks wonderful). Some walls are finished with varnish or shellac (even more shock and horror but they are the walls ya'll always compliment LOL) and others have a metallic finish. A few are finished with paste wax which when burnished is pretty glossy. Only my very deepest wall color in the basement is done in eggshell and that's because it gets too much light and was dang near glowing heh heh I'm also old fashioned so all trim is done in the highest gloss possible and I love that look. Now in the victorian, flat, matte whatever you call it for walls, though the ceilings will be in metallics most likely on the main floor. Trim paint is mostly being removed but the interim trim paint will be high gloss paint. I had a high gloss and then lacquered finish wall in one of my townhouses a few years ago. It was for art and it was stunning. The other walls in the room had to be semi so they didn't scream "different sheen" next to that long wall.
    ...See More
  • M Miller
    last year
    last modified: last year

Yes to drawers. Absolutely no to pull-out spice racks, but yes to spice rack drawer inserts from Rev-a-Shelf. Not sure what you mean by utensil holder - do you mean drawer dividers, or countertop canister or something else? I have a wide drawer that is 6" tall for utensils like spatulas, tongs, wooden spoons, etc. with no drawer dividers. I also have a drawer insert for knives, and it also holds 6 steak knives. It forces you to cull your knives to just the 5 or 6 you need, which is a good thing. For silverware holder, I bought a drawer insert at Bed Bath & Beyond that was inexpensive and cleans easily.

Soft close on drawers is nice, that is pretty standard these days not an upgrade. I am not fond of the soft close on upper cabinets because it takes too long for me. What other upgrades are you considering?

• cpartist
    last year

First is all lower drawers! And make them as wide as possible. Mine range from 24" next to cleanup sink to hold everyday dishes and silverware, to 42" for pots and pans, etc.

Second having a separate prep sink.

I have this spice rack on either side of my cooktop. This one is for most of my baking stuff and the other is for my everyday spices, etc.

Tray storage above my oven.

Garage closed to hide all the dogs food and stuff

Garage opened

Trash pullout. Also note the corner drawers closed

Corner drawer open. So much easier than opening a corner cabinet, reaching in to pull out or turn whatever is in there.

Victoria thanked cpartist
  • moosemac
    last year

Here's my list.

Yes to: Drawers, knife holder insert, utensil drawer organizers, trash/recycling pull out and a mixer lift with soft close. I went with pull outs for my pantry which gives tons of flexibility but are a challenge to reach to the back of on the higher shelves. Yes to cabinet pocket doors for ease of access. I used something like these on my pantry and love them. https://www.rockler.com/ez-pocket-door-system-pocket-door-slide?gclid=Cj0KCQjwxveXBhDDARIsAI0Q0x13mWAzNGuPU-LNtuhaLSscSPSUlpSDhg-EKGqym_x_oXsJSS1PtS4aAtg2EALw_wcB

I wished I had thought of the toe kick pull out step. I am going to see if my cabinetmaker can add this feature.

No to: Pull out spice racks. I have one on each side of my range and I had them modified to accommodate oils and taller spice containers and accessing the lower racks is still a PITA. No to cabinet pulls/handles with ends that stick out. Thanks to this forum I did not make that mistake. I am also not a fan of the pull outs I have in the lower cabinets. While I have some drawers, I went with two lower cabinets with pull outs. I have been contemplating having the cabinetmaker change those to drawers as well.

Victoria thanked moosemac
  • Sherry Brighton
    last year

I have the knife insert too and I love it. I did go with a countertop magnetic one as well. It is gorgeous handmade and doesn't take up a lot of space.

magnetic knife block

• Hope Stewart
    last year

@cpartist

I've been contemplating corner drawers as well... what are the dimensions of yours both overall as well as usable inside space? Also, what do you have in the lower ones? Just trying to imagine what kinds of things could go in them. Thanks!

• HU-380369063
    last year

@cpartist on your pretty corner drawers, do they use the full internal space? ie we have a lazy Susan cabinet that i wonder if would be any more roomier to convert to drawers like you have

• HU-380369063
    last year

@moosemac what do you mean by cabinet handles that stick out please?

• anj_p
    last year

Soft close. Drawers.

I don't think drawer inserts are worth it as there are so many after-market options that are cheaper and more flexible (so you can adjust to your needs). I bought an after-market knife block and after-market drawer dividers that work great and were $50 total.

Mixer lift - I think that depends on how often you use it. I rarely bake so that would just take up space for me. Mine lives in the pantry and gathers dust.

Spices: a few options here. I bought the rev-a-shelf drawer liners, used them for a few months, and then sold them. I realized I can get a LOT more spice storage using jars standing up (I bought 4 oz mason jars and they fit perfectly). Spice cupboards/inserts on the back of pantry doors would be my 2nd choice. NO to next-to-range spice pullouts.

I would upgrade to a push open/close trash bin so I don't have to use my hands to open it.

I would 100% absolutely do a cabinet with dividers for cutting boards and sheet pans. I don't know if I'd want them up high...personally I'd want one skinny one for cutting boards near my prep space, and another for sheet pans by the stove/oven. I have an after-market divider and it's better than nothing, but would be SO MUCH nicer to have it built in. It's on my MORE WAYS TO SPEND MONEY ON THIS HOUSE list.

I don't know if this exists, but I would want pull-out shelves for my over-fridge cabinet. That thing is so deep it's impossible to reach the stuff in the back unless I crawl up in there. Lots of storage going to waste there (we don't have stuff stored in the back due to the fact that we can't reach it).

Utensil holders (assuming you mean pull out cabinets) are a meh to me. If you really can't stand having utensils on the counter then I guess you can do that but it's a lot of $ to spend just to get the container off the counter. I have a counter utensil holder and the rest in drawers next to my range.

Victoria thanked anj_p
  • HU-380369063
    last year

@moosemac do you have a photo of pocket door - how it works for pantry ? Ive never seen this - wonder if it could be used also to hide a dreadful micro over a stove look? Thanks

• cawaps
    last year

Cabinet handles that stick out. I am of a height where I seem to always get my pockets hooked on these types of pulls (any pulls where the ends stick out past the part that attach to the cabinet).

• wannaknow2
    last year

Helen, thanks for the intriguing ideas! What company (and model, if they make several) did you choose for your movable dividers above the wall oven? Do they give you a choice of various positions or are they infinite? I’m trying to visualize how it works, practically speaking? cpartist’s photo shows slots for the dividers - is that what you meant, the ability to skip a slot and make the space largerr for a roasting pan, etc.?

Also, the toe stepstool: who makes it (do you install it after the cabinet is in?), does it pull out of the drawer or are you essentially standing a flat portion of the bottom drawer?

Would you be able to show us photos of both, please please? Thanks!

• latifolia
    last year

Definite yes to trash and recycling pullout. Also love my spice rack on the upper cabinet next to the stove. Yes to sink tip-out tray for scrubbers.

Tray/baking sheet/cutting board vertical storage.

I did some drawers but more cabinets with pullouts. Pullouts can be adjusted to accommodate different height items; drawers cannot. So if your tall tagine doesn't fit in a drawer, you're not screwed. Also pullouts hold more with my type of inset cabinets.

I like the bookself for cookbooks at the end of my peninsula. Also like having lots of 42" uppers for glasses and fine china. Drawer to accommodate two silver caddies, so it's right at hand.

Victoria thanked latifolia
  • HU-380369063
    last year

@cawaps thank you! thats what I thought and the look i thought i wanted as its so clean but didnt realize they can be hooks

• anj_p
    last year

Cabinet pullouts may or may not be adjustable. Mine are not, but even if they were I wish I had drawers instead. If you are doing custom cabinets I suggest you measure your stuff and design drawers deep enough to accommodate what you have. If your pantry is sufficiently sized, a lot of the tall things would easily be stored in the pantry. My pantry is a freaking shoe box but I still have my stand mixer, instant pot, blendtec and food processor stored in there. My slow cooker and stock pot live above the fridge (I only pull out the slow cooker 1x/month and the stock pot even less often).

• moosemac
    last year

RE: the cabinet handles, it is the ends that stick out. cawaps posted a picture. As for the pantry doors, I will take a picture and post when I get home tonight. But the link I posted shows the type of door. The inside of my pantry is has pullouts.

I also should have mentioned that for many of the add-ons I used Rev-A-Shelf which I purchased.

• Fori
    last year

If you need storage, 30" (front-to-back) lowers and 18" uppers are very nice.

• Helen
    last year

My cabinets are custom and were done by a local cabinetmaker recommended by my designer. They weren't inexpensive but my final cost was probably equivalent to a semi-custom with upgrades since upgrades drive up the base cost. Also I have a small urban kitchen so eking out every functional inch was critical and with semi custom I got exactly the configuration I wanted with no need for any fillers.

Because of the small size of the footprint of my original small galley kitchen I ran the wall of cabinets into the rear of my dining area. It looks like a standard buffet but functions as a kitchen should. One of the tall cabinets is a utility closet and

I had a side door constructed in the other tall cabinet so I can open the side door and just slide the mixer or Cuisinart out the side. This enables me to keep these appiances off the counter which means less clutter and I don't have to shlep them a distance from storage. Since the granite runs through it just operates as an extension of the counters.

I had looked into the mixer stands but based on reviews they didn't work that well and they also ate up a LOT of space which was too much for me to lose an entire 15" lower cabinet.

I use the drawers in that area for storage of items that work well in that area like the silver. Keep in mind that the distance from the triangle of my original kitchen is probably less than a regular kitchen so it isn't as if I am shlepping things long distance.

I am attaching a picture of this as the verbal description could be confusing.

I also made my counters have a bit more depth than standard - this made my counter depth refrigerator look more integrated and gave me a wee bit more counter. I also had my cabinet maker "clad" the sides of the refrigerator so that as an optical illusion it also makes it appear more integrated. I got that idea from a houzz poster.

My pullouts and drawers are completely custom in terms of depth. They are custom to the point where the sides of the pullout were my choice in terms of height as well as material used as I could have had clear plexi but opted for wood.

The color of my cabinet interiors is also not the standard white or wood tone melamine as I opted for something more fun - and I still have *fun* when I open them. The glass door cabinets have the same wood as the cabinets of course.

I do have a shallow cabinet above the refrigerator as most people do. Mine is probably shorter than average because my refrigerator is taller and because I have structural beams since I live in a high rise. However I did make it very functional by have the bottom roll out so I can access stuff at the back. ETA That my above refrigerator cabinet is also deeper than standard so I don't have the useless bit of refrigerator roof which exists to collect dirt.

Also my upper cabinets are deeper than is standard so they hold more. Lots of plates and serving pieces don't fit in the standard depth upper cabinets.

In terms of OP's questions

My toe kick step stools are probably a bit like upside down drawers. They pop out when I gently tap them. I don't know how they were made to operate but it didn't seem to be a problem for the cabinet maker since they work perfectly

Yes I have "boards" which create compartments for the cookware. How this is done structurally I don't know. My designer actually helped me move everything back into my home and organized it for me and so she set up the slot configuration. All I know is that all of my numerous pans fit beautifully. Previously I had them stacked sideways but with no dividers and so everything would fall out when I accessed anything.

Here is a picture of the cabinets in the rear of my dining area - the right tall closet is a utility closet and the left has roll outs in the bottom and top and a side door which enables me to slide the KA Mixer and Cuisnart out without heavy lifting.

This is a picture of the side door

• chicagoans
    last year
    • Deep drawers and as many as possible - loved these for pots and pans.
    • Trash pullout.
    • Custom cabinets with additional height and best fit for my space.
    • Spice racks on back of two upper doors, and a cutting board rack on the back of a door under the sink. These were all from Rev-a-Shelf.
    • Not sure if it's considered an upgrade, but cabinets over refrigerator that are the same depth as the refrigerator box (not the same depth as the other uppers.) Shallow over-fridge cabinets are a pain to try to access!
    • And not sure if these count, but I really liked my drawer microwave, warming drawer, and my butler's pantry for additional storage and food staging between kitchen and DR.
  • decoenthusiaste
    last year

Here are some ideas for areas where you have a few inches to fill with something useful.

Cookbooks left of fridge here

Hamptons Project · More Info

This idea would be great by a stack of ovens so there's space for cookie sheets etc.

A warm family kitchen with plenty of space for homework and get-togethers:) · More Info

Here's the same idea but devoted to cleaning supplies.

Diamond Vibe: Utility Organizer Cabinet · More Info

• demolition
    last year

Love my spice cabinet!

• Jenn Powers
    last year

We have two toe-kick pullouts for baking sheets which I love!

• User
    last year

Self-closing drawers! Worth their weight in gold.

Also, we have a ton of cutting boards, trays and sheet pans so we love the skinny cabinet designed for that.

I would personally love to hide a microwave into a cabinet.

I like the idea of this pop-up for a mixer, but I don't have one so I don't know how nice they are to actually use:

• demolition
    last year

Oooh - also forgot…how bout a lil coffee station nook

• Helen
    last year

@User AS I posted, i had comsidered the stand mixer but user reviews werent great and so i decided against and went with my slide out which essentially did the sake thing but better. The stand was hidden but easily accessible without shlepping it

• wiscokid
    last year

Those pop up mixer things seem like a good idea, but are a pain to clean if you get flour or splashes of cream or whatever outside of your mixer, as happens from time to time. My mixer is one of the few things that stays out on the counter. I put little felt pads on the bottom and it just slides out with ease when I need it.

I agree that you should consider a knife insert (love ours, made by Rev-a-Shelf) and a spice drawer, as well as all lower drawers as much as possible, even for corners - whether you do the corner drawers like cpartist or just regular drawers with dead space. Even regular drawers are more efficient usage than a lazy susan corner.

• wannaknow2
    last year

Anj_p, re pull out shelves above the fridge, these might be interesting:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2666216/cabinet-over-refrigerator-what-goes-in-there rollout for cereal boxes posted by cotehele :

And Full Extension Roll Outs in Cabinets Above the Fridge? (https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2695114/full-extension-roll-outs-in-cabinet-above-the-fridge) from Luv2Laf

And Jeri

• poppiepink
    last year

Hi! my favorite thing is having a working counter space with no overhead cabinet for extra tall kitchen appliances… ;)

• anj_p
    last year

@wannaknow2 Thanks! YES I would totally do that 2nd one - I'd want something strong enough to hold heavy things. Thanks!

• vinmarks
    last year

I have all drawers for my lower cabinets, trash pullout and a sheet pan pull out. I don't think any other add ons are worth it for the way we use our kitchen. I preferred to buy cheaper aftermarket add ons like drawer dividers and utensil holders.

I think the mixer lift is a waste. We use the pasta attachment, sausage attachment and the grating attachment for our mixer a lot and you need counter top when you use them. Plus the mess that would end up on the floor would be more of a pain to clean than something on the counter even when just mixing something. My mixer sits out on my counter.

Victoria thanked vinmarks
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

Some things we did for a recent client are below:

Redwood City Kitchen and Bath Remodel · More Info

In the second picture of the pullout with the stand mixer, we also put in an electrical outlet in the rear of the cabinet so the owner could use the mixer without having to move it to the counter. Also highly recommend appliance garages (also with outlets in the rear) and cutting board/sheet pan dividers in a wall cabinet or pantry.

• RoyHobbs
    last year

Someone commented above ”Yes to sink tip-out tray for scrubbers”. I am going to politely disagree, and say why I do not recommend them. Many people don’t like that the interior of the tip-out tray is one more additional cleaning chore. But to me the bigger issue is that to install them means your sink needs to be set a couple inches back from where it would be otherwise so that the tip-out tray has the clearance. By installing the sink farther away from the counter edge, it is harder on your back. You have to lean over that extra counter in front of the sink creating a mini bend to your back.

This is a way for me to segue into recommending an apron front sink - not technically an ”upgrade” that the OP asked about, more of a design choice. We have a stainless steel one, with a slim flat front which is important, and felt it was a game-changer backache-wise. It looks sharp too, and no worries about crazing or chips.

We also have a faucet with a long spout reach for the same reason (unlike the short-reach faucet in my second photo below which I got off the internet to show you the sink). Perhaps if we were under 30 we would not care, but backaches are a big deal for us.

• missb_remodeling
    last year

In a small space, I had to make decisions about what sort of accessories would be useful to add.

I chose the kidney shaped corner cabinet pull outs. Yes, they take up room and reduce the available room in the blind corners (I have two blind corners). But... when unloading stuff from my old corner cabinet, I found stuff in there I had not seen for 19 years. So having easier-to-see storage just made more sense. Space limitations negated the use of corner drawers (not giving up my dishwasher, sorry/not sorry).

I did spice pull outs, and while they aren't installed, I'm not convinced they were a good choice. I don't have any other drawer or cabinet solution in my small space to put spices, so I'll probably have them installed. The issue with mine is that I have inset cabinets, so of course the interior of the cabinet is much narrower for access.

I have a knife insert, cutlery insert and a garbage/recycle pullout. Tray/shelf divider above the fridge.

Several large drawers have a drawer within a drawer. The smaller drawer is along the top and pulls out when the main drawer is opened- it's just tall enough to fit any of the after-market organizers like the bamboo ones for ziplocs or plastic wrap/foil.

The one very useless accessory that I bought is a bread box insert. It fits into a 15" wide drawer, and is just the perfect size for what little bread we usually have - like a small loaf of sandwhich bread and a pack of english muffins (and bagels when the kids are in town). One of my huge goals with the remodeled kitchen is to have way less clutter on the counters, and having bags of various breads out just... annoys me. Small kitchen.

• wannaknow2
    last year

anj_p ,Pease let us know (pics too!) if yu doa over-the-fridge pull out. The threads mentioned above also have other commets without photos.

To miss _remodeling, or anyone else with a bread box or breadbox insert: Do you think these make bread go bad faster because they are a closed box in a closed drawer? Our kitchen faces south. Because of the light and heat, we keep the bread in a northern-facing room. Any thoughts on whether the box is really useful (and if so, what material, names of the manufacturer)? What do all of you who have southern facing kitchens do? Thanks.

• missb_remodeling
    last year

@wannaknow2 My cabinets were *just* installed, and the breadbox is one accessory that hasn't made it in the drawer yet so I can't comment on whether bread goes bad faster or not. I don't even have counters yet, lol.

We have a wraparound covered porch, so we don't get afternoon heat in the kitchen because of the overhang. Our house maintains a pretty steady 68-72 year round. I don't expect it to go bad any faster than sitting on the counter.

I'm not sure I would've made the choice if I still had two growing boys at home. They're off on their own now, so dh and I use very little bread.

Ours is part of the medallion line.

• Sammie J
    last year

All lower drawers, pull out garbage/recycling, and dividers over refrigerator for cookie sheets, etc.

Victoria thanked Sammie J
  • Victoria
    Original Author
    last year

Wow thank you all so much! Lots of great ideas!

• HU-380369063
    last year

@RoyHobbs thanks for the info for us back pain folks I have wondered if the apron fronts sratch such as from belt buckles? Can relate exactly to the bend issue You perfectly describe If an apron sink can help avoid that and a tall faucet, that's wonderful to know!

Do you have a single sink and if so is it practical?

• latifolia
    last year

@RoyHobbs The tip-out tray hasn't been an additional cleaning task - at least not for me! Maybe I've cleaned it twice in eight years. I keep the bottle brushes, a vegetable brush and scrubber there. We have a 30" sink, so it's pretty big. Otherwise all those things would be sitting on my marble counters. We don't use a sponge, just dishcloths.

I'm not sure the tip-out tray even affected the sink placement. My back doesn't bother me, but I run nearly everything through the dishwasher.

The important thing is that every kitchen needs to meet the needs of its owners. We don't have a microwave, but I have three soup tureens and many dozen soup bowls, demitasse sets and dessert services!

• RoyHobbs
    last year

“I have wondered if the apron fronts sratch such as from belt buckles?”

@HU-380369063 - no, they do not.

”Do you have a single sink and if so is it practical”

I have a single bowl sink, and wouldn’t have anything else. This single-bowl sink topic has been discussed in hundreds of threads on this forum, so do a search for those. I don’t want to digress from this thread’s topic to discuss it.

“and a tall faucet, that's wonderful to know!”

I was not talking about the faucet’s height. I said the ”reach”. Spout reach is measured from the center of the faucet base horizontally out to the center of the spout where the water comes out. In the pic below, the 8” circled in red is the spout reach.

• cpartist
    last year

I've been contemplating corner drawers as well... what are the dimensions of yours both overall as well as usable inside space?

I will have to measure tomorrow. The interior width of the drawers are 15". The interior length is standard like my other drawers. These were custom so I was able to create what I needed.

Also, what do you have in the lower ones? Just trying to imagine what kinds of things could go in them.

The middle drawer stores my pot holders, mitts and kitchen towels. The lower drawer holds small dishes such as what I put my ice cream in as well as several small vases I use for cut flowers.

@cpartist on your pretty corner drawers, do they use the full internal space? ie we have a lazy Susan cabinet that i wonder if would be any more roomier to convert to drawers like you have

No in reality, a lazy susan uses more of the interior space. However, I have tons of drawers so didn't lack for space. Plus we are getting up there in years and while I'm right now quite capable of bending down, I didn't want a cabinet I had to bend down and reach into just in case.

My pantry is a freaking shoe box

Mine is too!

but I still have my stand mixer, instant pot, blendtec and food processor stored in there

My stand mixer is in my pantry too. My ice cream machine is in the lower drawer to the left of my cooktop. My blender, hand mixer, and food processer is in the lower drawer to the right of my cooktop. And there's still room for one or two other utensils in that lower drawer.

But to me the bigger issue is that to install them means your sink needs to be set a couple inches back from where it would be otherwise so that the tip-out tray has the clearance. By installing the sink farther away from the counter edge, it is harder on your back.

I want to disagree. My prep sink is no further back than it would be without the tip out tray.

Another thought. While I love inset cabinets, it was more important to me to use every inch of space, so I went with European style cabinets with shaker style doors.

Oooh - also forgot…how bout a lil coffee station nook

Also forgot. Our coffee/tea station.

• Jennifer K
    last year

Favourite things in my kitchen:

• lazy susan recycle/trash/paper bin in the corner cabinet. Very convenient during prep and uses an otherwise awkward space to store bulky bins that I didn't want taking up better real estate
    • 15"x72", full height reach in pantry. It holds an incredible amount of stuff. And nothing gets lost in the back.
    • mostly drawers in my base cabinets. I went with 1 shallow and 2 deep for each bank of drawers.
    • pullouts for the 2 base cabinets that don't have drawers-- this was an aesthetic decision that made sense since what was being stored there isn't accessed constantly
    • cabinets to the ceiling
    • vertically divided cabinet over the fridge for tray and rack storage.

Something to be aware of: you can often get after-market cabinet upgrades that are just as good and substantially cheaper than what your cabinet maker will resell you from Richelieu or Rev-a-shelf. My cabinet maker advised me to go that route. So I bought all my bamboo drawer dividers on sale at Home Sense. My cork knife tray fits nicely in one of my shallow top drawers near the stove. It cost $12, is sturdy and works perfectly.

Victoria thanked Jennifer K
  • PRO
    MDLN
    last year

DRAWER base cabinets (not roll-out shelves behind doors).

• Karen
    last year

All or mostly drawers, pull out trash/recycle w drawer above for bags etc. I LOVE my pull up shelves (have one for food processor & one for Kitchenaid. Use both several times a week! ). Wide drawers (27-36” where possible. You lose too much space in small drawers. I prefer full overlay cabinets that don’t have a horizontal bar between drawers. When they add the horizontal support, you lose 3-4” in drawer height .

• sheepla
    last year

This is a great thread!!