SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kit2022

Design advice for new build

kit2022
last year

Hello!

I'm building a home in Florida. The floor plan is finalized, and now I need help with design decisions. It's a large home with an open floor plan, big windows and lots of natural light. I'm going for a light, clean, classic, and playful yet sophisticated look for our growing family. I would really appreciate thoughts/suggestions on my broad ideas!

-floors:

---light colored vinyl plank (cali bamboo legends dawn patrol)

-paint colors:

---white on most walls and trim

---light blues, pinks, and grays for bedrooms and accents (such as in tray ceilings)

---accent colors: navy blue/denim, black, metals (nickel and brass)

-kitchen:

---alpine white and peacock blue cabinetry by homecrest (the peacock blue is a little out of my comfort zone. Is it too bold of a color?)

---cambria quartz brittanicca countertops and backsplash

---light blue tile accents in select areas

---brushed brass hardware and lighting

---stainless steel appliances

-hardware:

---doors: matte black (I'm concerned about these showing dust, fading, and/or looking dated in the future - would I be better off with brushed nickel?)

---bathrooms: brushed nickel in most bathrooms, but perhaps brushed brass in the master bathroom

-misc:

---lighting: mix of brushed brass and matte black fixtures for kitchen pendants, dining chandelier, foyer chandelier, and wall scones

---ceiling fans: matte black

---windows: thin black frames/mullions, with somewhat-sheer white roller shades (is the black too trendy? would white shades look okay on black frames?)

Comments (38)

• elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

Too many items listed to get it all together for suggestions, however I do have an opinion...no tray ceilings in the bedrooms. Save it for the dining room and a centered chandelier.

I like these two blues with the floor.

I like the same color/finish on hardware and faucets.

Do you mean black frames and muntins?

kit2022 thanked elcieg
  • cpartist
    last year

No one can guess the actual look and colors just by your description.

What is your question? And if you want help with colors, cabinet styles, etc, you need to post pictures on this thread. We are NOT mind readers,

And what exactly does this mean: "I'm going for a light, clean, classic, and playful yet sophisticated look"

kit2022 thanked cpartist
  • Related Discussions

New build. New gardener. Need advice please.

Q

Comments (11)
    First of all, I'm not a landscaping pro or any type of expert, just a homeowner who likes maps and plans. So I'm wondering about the actual usable amount of space in your front yard. I see a distance of 24'6" (maybe 24'8"?) from the front of the lot to the corner of the window on the right. Is the front property line the location of the curb? Will there be a sidewalk along the street in front of the house? Will it be right along the street, or will there be a parking strip (grass area) between the street and sidewalk? One of the lines in the front yard is labelled "ACHD easement." That's your county's Highway Division. It's 8' from the front property line, so it's 16'6" from the front of the house. My county doesn't allow trees -- or even tallish shrubs -- in the easement, so ask before you plant. The other line -- 12' from the property line, so only 12' 6" from the corner of the window on the right -- is the utility easement. That's another area where planting large shrubs or trees might be restricted, if power lines/pipes are underground. And hopefully they won't put any unsightly boxes in front of the house. But in any case, there may be significantly less space in front of the house where you're free to landscape as you wish, than you expect. Boise's snowfall averages only 19" per year, but you might want to ask the neighbors how much of the street snow will be dumped in your yard.
    ...See More

New home design: build the woodshop or buy a prefab metal build

Q

Comments (13)
    If you google "pole buildings" or "pole barns" and "stick built" garages/shops/buildings/etc., you'll find threads on other forums on this topic. We haven't built our shop yet, but I have researched it over the last couple years. For me, I found companies that specialize in this at our local home & garden expo, via word of mouth, on craigslist under services and on my county's permit web site. My county gives all the information on what permits were applied for and what company is doing the work; it basically gave me a list of who was building the shops locally and how much they are valued at.. I've done lots of driving around to look at the work done and see if it is what I'm after.... Since we plan on finishing our shop to match our house and insulating it, a pole building vs. stick-built building is around the same price. There is no point, for us, to pursue a pole building because of it. If you don't want to insulate and don't need to match finishes (on all sides,) a pole building will likely cost much less.
    ...See More

Floor Plan Design Dilemma for New Build (Need Architect Advice)

Q

Comments (158)
    In Ontario any homeowner can submit their own drawings, however, they will be reviewed by the planning department to ensure the drawings meet code. However, a professional I,e, draftsman, designer, architectural technologist etc must complete and pass exams and thus obtain a (Building code identification no) BCIN. An architect does not require a BCIN, however, they must be licensed in the province in order to have construction drawings approved. Some further explanations http://www.andythomson.ca/2016/11/15/why-a-bcin-is-not-an-architect/
    ...See More

Crawlspace Water Advice Needed for new build

Q

Comments (6)
    Many crawl space moisture problems result from inadequate storm water management at the surface. I suggest you grade the property and construct swales and any other storm water management features shown and reassess the need for any additional control measures. E.T.A. Also, make sure your home includes gutters and downspouts or some alternative means of capturing storm water from the roof and directing it away from the foundation.
    ...See More
  • shirlpp
    last year

Yes to all of that! Since no pics.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO you are way too cart before the horse but you do not share where you are in the bulid and if this is just in th design stage STOP and wait and I agree get a designer NOW

kit2022 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • One Devoted Dame
    last year

I'm not a pro.

In general, I think your choices are so neutral that they'd be fine. Mostly white walls with blues (blue is my second-favorite neutral behind green), pinks, and grays doesn't sound crazy or bold at all.

I'd be a bit concerned with 3 different metals (black, nickel/stainless steel, and brass), but that might be just me, lol.

I really like the idea of having blue accent tiles in the kitchen. I'd personally consider expanding that idea to the bathrooms and laundry areas, if applicable.

My only true hesitation would be the mostly white walls (or really, mostly white anything, lol) with a growing family... But that depends on how many of you there are and the quality of paint you'll be using. :-D

kit2022 thanked One Devoted Dame
  • everdebz
    last year

It's ok that you ask for broad ideas - great to see what others have to say about flooring, etc...building in Florida. Tray ceiling opinion only chandelier-ed room was interesting.

kit2022 thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    last year

Not a pro - What style is the house? -- as to your window question.

"windows: thin black frames/mullions, with somewhat-sheer white roller shades (is the black too trendy? would white shades look okay on black frames?)"

kit2022 thanked everdebz
  • chispa
    last year

Do you know how to make mood boards? I used MS Publisher to make mine.

Is this a true custom home and you get to pick anything you want OR are you working with a production builder who has a design center with limited choices?

Don't you have photos of all the materials/choices you mentioned?

kit2022 thanked chispa
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I agree we need pics of all the choices but the house is in design stage way too early to choose things like backspalsh

kit2022 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Chris
    last year

Hi. We built about 3 years ago now in Florida. You sound like me. You are thinking through it all. Which I completely understand!! Thinking ahead of every possible step helped overall but I overwhelmed myself with making all the best decisions. I barely slept. I spent massive amounts of time collecting ideas on Houzz and Pinterest. Looking for inspiration as well as possible solutions to things I thought we might come up. I barely slept. I would create some boards on here and Pinterest of what you like if you haven’t already( I suspect you have😊). As you go along, I’m sure the builder will tell you what’s the next decision and you don’t want to delay things by not having that ready especially with material back ups. Sometimes they’ll just spring it on you if it they aren’t organized. A designer or project manager could help line that up too. I went through a few different designers because it was difficult for me to pay money on what I felt was spinning my wheels at the time. Hindsight shows me now how valuable they were. It helped me figure out what I didn’t like more than what I did but even that was a great help. I’d recommend hiring a designer ( that you’ve seen examples of their work that you like). Early on to go thru your plans. Ours immensely helped to fix some windows on the house and their placement, door placement, special considerations, how doors open…even door handles… you’ll definitely need a professional when it comes to the kitchen design… Cabinets, drawers Etc. The first thing I remember doing after the plans were finalized was picking appliances… and exterior windows and doors….then all the bathroom fixtures and faucets, showerheads… kitchen and bathroom cabinetry(all the cabinets in the house). Flooring was in there somewhere too…As well as interior doors and lighting and countertops. It’s a giant challenge overall! The first time I went to the lighting store, we had to leave because I burst into tears. Later on, I picked all of the lighting based on “I don’t hate that”. I would suggest getting flooring samples before you consider cabinet colors though. Maybe your builder has a master list of the order of choices you’ll need to make to keep you on track… or something online. A designer will help a ton. Hang in there. A few pictures of a couple of things you are considering that we did below. The black windows were a surprise ( didn’t have a designer with me on that trip)… thought I was getting black exterior and white interior… it worked out because we like them… but could have been a very expensive mistake. We did get white interiors on the shower windows thankfully… it looks better with the tile. A cost savings advice… get separate quotes on bathroom, sink, toilet, tubs…etc and appliances, a/c, landscaping… etc. Our builder had specific people he worked with.. but it helped get the pricing down on those to have other quotes. Oh… eventually down the line know what type of finish you want for the dry wall… one of my regrets is being lead to orange peel instead of smooth. Just know… the builder may lead you towards things that are easier for his subs. Ours said…. “You don’t want that smooth crap, do you?” Yes I did, but now I don’t have it because I figured he knew what’s best. Listen carefully to everything the builder is saying and make sure you completely understand whatever they say…

kit2022 thanked Chris
  • kit2022
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for the feedback! This is all very new for me, and I appreciate you bearing with me. I'll work on gathering some representative images of my ideas. In the meantime, my specific questions are:

1 - Regarding matte black door hardware. Will it show dust/dirt? Will the finish fade over time? Will it look dated in the future, or would you consider it a timeless choice? I'm deciding between black and brushed nickel. To make it look cohesive, I could repeat the black in some furniture (dining table legs, kitchen island bar seating), our great room ceiling fan, window frames, and picture frames.

2 - Regarding windows. I am leaning toward black window frames with white roller shades throughout the house. Would white shades look okay on black frames?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

How was the floor plan developed?

• kit2022
    Original Author
    last year

Let me also answer your questions:

@chispa - this is a truly custom build home. I started from scratch, with a pencil drawing of a floor plan, and then worked with an architect to finalize the floor plan. I can pick anything regarding the design. I'm starting with zero furniture.

@everdebz - I'm having trouble labeling the style of the house. It's a concrete block, single story, 6000sf home with an open floor plan.

@Mark Bischak, Architect - haha, point taken. I'm having trouble identifying my style. Maybe I'd label it as "transitional," but with pretty, vibrant colors instead of strictly neutrals.

@elcieg - thanks for the input! May I ask why you don't like tray ceilings in bedrooms? We have 12 foot ceilings in the kids' bedrooms, and 14 foot ceilings in the main living space and master bedroom. I am drawn to trays, because I think it would be interesting to paint the inside of the trays a fun color. And yes - black frames and muntins, thank you for the correction.

• kit2022
    Original Author
    last year

@Mark Bischak, Architect - I drew a pencil sketch and provided that to an architect who took it from there. I talked with him about my wish list, and why I drew what I drew (open living space including the kitchen, great room, dining room, and play area for the kids; big laundry/mudroom easily accessible from the front door; office/nursery off the master bedroom, etc). We've gone through several revisions back-and-forth, and it's nearly complete at this point.

• elcieg
    last year

A tray ceiling is just like an area rug on the floor. It defines the space. Bedroom furniture, for the most part, lines the walls, then the bed extends into the room. Everything looks off kilter.

Trays are great in dining rooms because the table and chairs fit right under it and then the chandelier hangs down from the center of the tray.

I think more than one or two in a home is over doing a good thing.

kit2022 thanked elcieg
  • chispa
    last year

Builders get a bit carried away with tray ceilings in FL, but even our CA Architect drew one in the master bedroom on the first draft he presented to us. I personally don't like tray ceilings, so we didn't do any. I prefer to go with the higher height across the whole ceiling. My design is Spanish inspired, so I did wood beams in several rooms.

kit2022 thanked chispa
  • Chris
    last year

A future electrical thought… I wish I’d put recessed lights in all the bedrooms. And if you ever want to put in a generator… get it pre wired( something else you may want to research the ins and out of… 🤷‍♀️). Also watch the A/c install… the crew made a kink in one of the ducts that keeps folding and blocking air… new doesn’t mean it’s all flawless. Same thing with yard sprinklers… I was so excited to have a new system and thought it would be without flaws… I should have given more input and added more.

kit2022 thanked Chris
  • kit2022
    Original Author
    last year

@Chris - thanks so much for your input. Yes, we will definitely be putting recessed lights in all the rooms, including bedrooms. I hadn't even thought about a generator. I'll have to look into that. And I'll talk with my husband about making sure to keep an eye on the various installations.

• Mrs. S
    last year

I've been reading Maria Killam's blog lately. She is certainly someone who likes color! Do you have designers you admire? One of the things I have picked up from Maria's blog and instagram account (particularly her 10 design mistakes people make on instagram, that will end up dating their house), is to go with neutrals for the hard surfaces: floors, cabinets and the like.

It's a very interesting tip, for someone like her who dresses and decorates in fabulous color! She's also very particular about neutrals and how to coordinate them. I like her how-to style, but like any designer, it's certainly not for everyone. Since you didn't post any inspiration photos, I am assuming that maybe you are trying to go forth without some. You might want to check out her instagram and blog.

kit2022 thanked Mrs. S
  • kit2022
    Original Author
    last year

@Mrs. S - thanks so much for the recommendation! Currently going down the rabbit hole reading her blog...

• cpartist
    last year

Maria Killam has her opinions. Some excellent, some not so much.

You are building a 6000 square foot house that you created with an architect. May I ask why you haven't also hired an Interior Designer to help you with all your questions? And a Kitchen Designer for the kitchen? (Hint: Architects almost always make lousy kitchen designers)

What part of FL are you building in?

• M Miller
    last year

“12 foot ceilings in the kids' bedrooms, and 14 foot ceilings in the main living space and master bedroom.”

This will not be a cozy space for kids. 12’ ceilings in a kid’s bedroom? Will they be staring up at them from bed at night wondering what is all the way up there, maybe bats? Bring those kids’ bedrooms’ ceilings down - 9’ tops.

How will you light the living room when the ceilings are 14’? You will need uplighting as well as powerful downlighting to reach the occupants in the room. If you just have floor lamps and table lamps with 14” ceilings, you too will be wondering if there are bats up there. I am being arch, but I mean it about the kids’ ceilings, and for the living room and primary bedroom you will definitely need a skilled lighting designer who should be hired as early as possible if you are firm on 14” ceilings.

• chispa
    last year

One person's cozy is another person's claustrophobic!

Ceiling height is very subjective. My guest bedrooms have 11 ft ceilings and they feel just right to me. My desk area is in a small hallway off the master bedroom. The architect dropped the ceiling to 10 ft in this area and I wish I had been more forceful about keeping the 12 ft ceilings throughout the house. All our windows are proportional to the ceiling heights. Anything below 10 ft feels claustrophobic to me, but I'm not going to push my preference on someone else who prefers lower ceilings.

• kit2022
    Original Author
    last year

@M Miller and @chispa - Thanks for your comments regarding ceiling height. We’re very excited for the high ceilings and have the lighting situation squared away. It doesn’t add much cost to raise the ceilings in our single story build, and we love the feel of high ceilings with lots of windows and natural light. I’m also looking forward to having fun with light fixtures in various rooms, such as interesting chandeliers/fans etc in the kids’ rooms, which the high ceilings accommodate.

• Chris
    last year

Hi. Watch out for some of these new fans. Their remotes can surprise you.. we chose by look and two of them have tiny remotes that go in the wall switch plate.. when the battery dies you have to remove the whole switch plate to put in new batteries. If you want to use your fan. We chose 5 others that were the same for all the bedrooms that have hand-held remotes… problem is getting them set up so their signals don’t cross and turn on or off fans in different areas of the house.

• kcooz07
    last year

Speaking of ceiling fans, I would not recommend black. It will show every speck of dust and a lighter color will blend into the ceiling better.

• cpartist
    last year

So again, why haven't you hired an interior designer?

• kit2022
    Original Author
    last year

@Chris - noted. Thanks for the tip.

@kcooz07 - I’m considering painting ceilings a deep blue to coordinate with my navy blue cabinetry, so the black may not be too bold. However I am worried about dust. Do you have personal experience with black hardware showing dust? Is it really that bad?

• kit2022
    Original Author
    last year

@cpartist - I’m having fun with the project and am not inclined to pay for someone else to take it away from me! I want our house to be my own, even if it doesn’t turn out magazine-worthy. We’re not on a timeline, so not feeling stressed (:

• chispa
    last year

@kit2022, I did it all on my own too and picked every single thing in the house. It can be done, but it helps to have lots of time for the research. We moved to the area where we were building and rented nearby. Designing the house was my "full time" job for 2 years.

When you post, just be prepared for the negative comment. Take what you want from the comment and ignore the rest! It does help to get better feedback if you provide photos and the choices you are considering.

You might want to post on the monthly building threads too.

• kit2022
    Original Author
    last year

@chispa - Thank you. I appreciate that. I’ll check out the monthly building threads. And I’m hard at work putting together a mood board of photos to share.

ps congratulations on your new home!

• cpartist
    last year

I do understand that Kit. I did my own house too but like Chispa, it was my full time job for well over 2 years.

So what general area of FL. Both Chispa and I are also in FL.

• chispa
    last year

I've seen plenty of "designers" who are terrible ... and even hired one once, which made me realize I didn't need one. Much more fun making my own decisions!

Because an individual doesn't have a business card that says "Designer" or "Decorator" doesn't mean that they don't have the ability to create a well designed space!

• Chris
    last year

I went through 4 decorators… mainly because I am a control freak, but also because I have usually researched so much that my mind was settled. And they also helped me figure out what I didn’t like more than what I did. I really never needed help picking appliances, fixtures, tile, colors, carpets…etc. But I highly recommend finding one that can help with space planning of your floor plans and exterior window balance. That part was invaluable!

kit2022 thanked Chris
  • mcarroll16
    last year

Think of a good designer as a huge time-saving short cut. A good designer can understand your style and help guide you to the best expression. They know about furniture/floor/cabinet/tile options that you won't find on your own. They can translate your family needs and priorities into concrete solutions that you have never heard of. If you're working with a good designer, you will still be doing a lot of work, and an exhausting amount of selection. But it will be so much faster than trying to learn it all on your own. And you will probably end up with a better product, because you will see better options.

The key is finding someone who is a translator, not a dictator. We chose our kitchen designer based on a presentation where she showed 4 different kitchens she designed. One was gorgeous, two were fine, one was the ugliest thing I've ever seen. And I hired her because of the ugly kitchen. She had tracked down remainders of an absolutely hideous metal tile that her clients were in love with. She designed and sourced something really unique that was specifically tailored to those clients' tastes. And those clients would not have had the time or knowledge to make all the phone calls needed to track down that tile.

kit2022 thanked mcarroll16
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Your selections should complement the design of you home & you have chosen not to post any elevations of your home. Can't help you.

• kit2022
    Original Author
    last year

@mcarroll16 - I appreciate your thoughts. I think I will look into options for designers. I don't have a clear idea regarding who is available in my area to help or how the pricing would work... and it would be smart to at least look into it before saying "no."

@Chris - Awesome advice. Your house looks great, based on the pictures you sent. I like the look of the white shades against the black window mullions.

@chispa - Thanks for the support!