Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_9833592

Too white Kitchen . Too wrong Choice : Torquay. White, white white

User
last year
last modified: last year

I moved in to a new build.

Counters were purple & black. I hated them

I worked with home depot during their countertop sale and thought I made the right choice

Torquay since I have a small open layout and you can see everything all at once in all rooms

I was afraid to do anything busy or with a major design .

Torquay looked quiet and elegant.

Now it came in disaster white, white white. To make matters worse I already have

a White sectional and Love seat feet away from the kitchen White leather barstools.

I am trying to pick a tile backsplash.

This tile was brought to me for modern "pop" as my daughter put it. I am on the fence.

The tile is gorgeous it comes in white and marble & chrome.

Grey & marble chrome accent.

I am so confused now and am frozen on my decision. with this.

Make or break the room.

THASSOS MARBLE AND STATUARIO STAINLESS STEEL DIAMOND MOSAIC

Comments (53)

• Julie R.
    last year

Nice tile. Be sure you like the marble (natural) against the quartz (engineered), and that it doesn’t somehow make you like the new countertops any less. That said, from my screen, I think you’ll have a lovely and flexible white kitchen. Just add a plant/flower - and other accents as mentioned.

User thanked Julie R.
  • demolition
    last year

Wow I love this marble backsplash… will look stunning with your kitchen

User thanked demolition
  • Related Discussions

Need a soft white to off white for cabinets..too many choices

Q

Comments (3)
    Seriously, I'm having this conversation with my DH right now. Every couple of days, I have a new "favorite" white. I think my problem is I'm afraid to commit. I never stress over the wall color. It's sooo easy to change. Cabinet color is harder to change. Here's a couple I've sampled: Benjamin Moore (BM) White Dove OC-17 - a bright, grey white. Light Reflective Value (LRV) 90 Cool undertone BM Cloud White OC-130 LRV 87.1 - not as bright as White Dove LRV 87.1 BM Feather Down OC-7 LRV 73.8 - a moodier gray off white, Cool undertone. Below is a link another gardenwebber shared with me. BuyAuraPaint. It has the LRV and some of the color undertone info. Sherwin Williams also has the LRV on the back of their cards too if you want to compare. Here's Pottery Barn's version of how to pick white: http://www.potterybarn.com/pages/getting-white-right.html BTW, my color of the week is Ancient Ivory ; ) Here is a link that might be useful: BM paint
    ...See More

Is BM White Dove going to be too white?

Q

Comments (7)
    In my experience, the paint looks significantly lighter on the cabinet than on a sample. The slight gloss to the paint makes it appear lighter, too. We used Lancaster White on our island, which, on a sample/paint chip, looks fairly yellowish and pretty dark compared to a lot of whites, but on the island certainly doesn't look dark and, to me, not very yellow. In other words, not only does it lighten, but washes out from the perception given by the little swatches. This is the best photo I have at the moment. I only show it so if, in your search of BM colors, you see a sample of the Lancaster White, you can see the difference in swatch to reality and may be able to relate it to other colors that interest you.
    ...See More

White Antique kitchen cabinets -- backsplash too white?

Q

Comments (16)
    I'm with Daisychain - just say no to 3 stones in one kitchen. Alaska White is a beautiful granite. It will be the star. Both of the backsplash tiles you pictured would be wrong. The one on the right because it is busy, and also a dated look. The one on the left cause it would be stone #3 in your kitchen, and because its veining going in different directions with each tile will not go with your granite. I recommend a quiet cream subway backsplash. Not only will go, but also is a classic. Not everything in your kitchen needs to be splashy and statement-y. Keep that in mind with all your choices.
    ...See More

Would a white kitchen table/chairs make everything TOO white?

Q

Comments (7)
    I love colorful chairs in a kitchen. My old chairs looked terrible but still strong and sturdy. Bought 4 quarts of paint in colors I liked and painted them. Decide what your accent colors would be and paint the chairs to go with a white table. Have fun.
    ...See More
  • kandrewspa
    last year

I agree with @latifolia. For the most part I like the tile and it would really perk up your all white kitchen, but I am a little leary of the silver strips in it. Do they have anything somewhat similar that has a medium or dark gray accent instead? My other reservation is that in the picture with the backsplash tile against the counter the backsplash looks like a cool white, but the counter looks like a warm white. The two whites don't look good together in that picture. Since colors are deceptive on monitors, you would be the best judge whether this is true IRL. If you are having difficulty with whites, look at tile that is more gray, or blue or green would also be a possibility. Also, good point about the floors, make sure whatever you choose isn't going to clash with the floors.

User thanked kandrewspa
  • chispa
    last year

Take the potential loss on one sheet of tile and remove it from the plastic!

Get Alcolin Quake Putty (on Amazon) and you can use it to stick the tile sheet on the wall in the correct plane, so you can see the true look and color.

User thanked chispa
  • mbfisher3
    last year

I think your kitchen looks lovely! The counters are great. The slight veining seems to work well with the solid whites elsewhere. The floor obviously has the most visual movement so you wouldn't want a pattern or stronger look on the countertops. You can definitely do a texture or color or pattern or glimmer on the backsplash, but I wouldn't do all of them, which is what that backsplash tile does for me. It's kind of way too much - in my opinion only. Glass subway tiles could give you a bit of gloss if you like that look. A hex or herringbone layout for tile would give visual interest. I would avoid the metal strip in any tile because that's an easy look to add elsewhere - light fixtures, hardware, your barstools have that great metal back - in places where it's not difficult to change if you tire of it. I've seen solid white or single color textured backsplashes in a lot of kitchens that can range from fabulously modern to vintage if you use a beveled subway tile.

User thanked mbfisher3
  • Fori
    last year

This kitchen is really nice.

The pattern and colors of the backsplash tile are really good with it

Up close the tile is kind of...er...well, I don't love it with the counter. The marble fights a little. But I love what it does for the (already nice) room overall. So I think this might not be IT but it is CLOSE.

User thanked Fori
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

Personally, I can't understand about closing in the frig with a cabinet side. It looks odd to me. It IS an appliance. Now, I hate stainless and a stainless frig have gray? sides, which is stupid. I like my frig to have the same color on the side that the door is.

User thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • KW PNW Z8
    last year

I agree with @kandrewspa about the warm of counter & cool of that tile for splash - that was my first impression looking at your pic. I also think it’s a bit busy & will limit your choices of accessories. My advice is to look for something simpler - easier on the eyes & won’t be the first thing a person sees when looking at kitchen. I like the tonal colors of my splash - my kitchen is very different than yours but similar counters. We changed from a busy granite & busier splash when we had our 2 level island cut down. I wanted this 3 toned tile splash for some ”texture”. Maybe consider something like it for your splash?

User thanked KW PNW Z8
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

No to that tile. Based on what my monitor is rendering, that tile does not look that good with the counter and cabs -- it's too gray/cool-toned. And I'm seeing a peek of a floor there, which is warm-toned.

What you need here is some COLOR. It doesn't have to be bold unless you want it to be, but that space need some jazzing up, and another shade of a white or light grey just won't do the job.

Here are some inspo pics:

User thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • HU-380369063
    last year

Your kitchen looks beautiful! Torquay is warm and i agree with those who caution on the tile looking cool. You presently have so much opportunity to style the counters with accessories, wall art, etc I’d start there then decide tile.

User thanked HU-380369063
  • User
    Original Author
    last year

I found a tile that had movement of light modern glass. Floor & Decor: #100968882 Glass Andes silver linear

These rooms are all open to my kitchen .

• Mrs Pete
    last year

Now it came in disaster white, white white.

Yeah, it's kinda hospital-white. Sterile.

Grey & marble chrome accent.

If you like marble (I don't), this is a good choice. It'll bring in some color and tone -- but without overwhelming the mostly-white decor in the rest of your house. I am not concerned about the silver bits becoming dated before the tile style -- and backsplash isn't horrendous to replace, if you decide to do so. For the house you describe, I prefer this tile to the pop-of-color ideas.

In addition, here's what I'd do:

- Add woven brown storage baskets above the cabinets. This'll add texture and a natural touch, which will feel warm and grounding.

- Add a piece of artwork (not word art) above the pantry door.

- Pick a color you'd like to incorporate and bring it in through kitchen towels, floor mats, cannisters and a few other countertop accessories. Make some of these accessories printed rather than solid.

- Replace the barstools, which look a little cold and dull, with something wood -- this will tie into the baskets and will be another natural, soft touch.

- Add a couple pendants above the island -- and bring in either some silver to tie into the appliances and the bit of silver in the backsplash tile OR bring in a color.

- You've got "a lot of the same" across this kitchen. Perhaps remove a couple doors /add in glass fronts. But if you don't use all white dishware behind that glass, it might fight with the proposed backsplash tile.

User thanked Mrs Pete
  • latifolia
    last year

The Andes silver linear is close to white, and a lot of grout lines. What is your favorite color? Blue? Green? Look for something in a 4x4 or 3x8 to reduce the number of grout lines. Both Floor & Decor and Tilebar have lots of options, depending on your budget.

User thanked latifolia
  • shirlpp
    last year

I agree that it is hospital white - right in your face. The last backsplash tile looks better than the first. I also agree about the pendants over the island. Is the faucet on yet?

User thanked shirlpp
  • kelli_ga
    last year

As much as I love color, I think it’s risky. I would look at more tile options. Here are a lot of off-whites with subtle patterns or textures that would break up the white. And you can use a darker grout. Any stone or variation of stone colors would break up the white.

If the base color of your countertop matches your cabinet color, you have more flexibility in your backsplash choice. It can repeat a bit of the pattern in the countertop, but have a different base color like pink or gold or beige or multi.

Another option is to go dark but still neutral. Maybe find a stone option that blends with the gray of the fridge, instead of covering it up. Just to see.

The tile you picked is pretty, but it definitely makes a statement. You might want something different in your kitchen, like colorful accessories or flowers or fancy dish towels, that may conflict with the tile and create too much visual clutter.

The first thing I noticed was the cabinet hardware. You might consider other options, especially on the drawers. Maybe something bigger, or handles instead of knobs, although I understand why you went with the small knobs because of the door frames. Just take a look at some other bigger options to see if there is anything else that might work. Also if you went with a dark color, it might break up the white more.

This example may not be dark enough for you, but it show how pattern can break up the white. You could probably find something like this in any neutral shade. You can also find it in herringbone, arabesque, hex or other shapes besides rectangles.

User thanked kelli_ga
  • Jennifer K
    last year

Definitely not the glass Andes tile. The first choice is much better. The pattern is elegant and adds personality to what is elsewise a very bland space. The only thing I'd be concerned about is whether the floor colour is too warm to support the combination. To test, put your splash tile on the floor. If it clashes, look for a similar patterned mosaic that is a bit warmer or mixes in some taupe or beige elements with the white and grey to bridge the gap.

In addition to backsplash tile, I'd consider reupholstering the bar stools in dark grey to add some contrast. I think part of what make the space bland is that there isn't much tonal range.

User thanked Jennifer K
  • jqueen3
    last year

Here's my two cents: I think you need to take a couple of deep breaths and relax. Your kitchen looks great. YOU DID NOT MESS IT UP!! I'n not a pro but I agree that the tile with the silver accents is almost right but not quite. I would keep looking but leave the stress out of it. You will be able to add color in so many ways to your kitchen. Good luck!

User thanked jqueen3
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

redoing,,,,

you need a bit of color and depth w/all that white.

I like your first marble choice.

however, what's missing are other elements to complete the look.

some pendant lights, diff chairs, change out the pantry door to wood, or paint it a diff color, and add countertop accessories, especially some type of wood.

I think that light blue pendant w/this pale blue herringbone tile would look great. (Encore, Bali, quick ship)

Lose the knobs and doo handles, at least on the doors. looks better.

here's a basketweave marble backsplash w/a lot of white. the wood and green/blue colors add a lot of interest

I also love this chevron mosaic tile (it's marble in 3 diff finishes. backsplash.com)

User thanked Beth H. :
  • User
    Original Author
    last year

Beth do you not like my irridecent soft aqua blues they are soft and pretty for tile? I am planning on doing undermount lighting and overhead lighting and love the choice of bar stools the wood and rope on the right is one I picked and my husband fought with me . But I love that one so much . It matches my dining room and acknowledges the warmth in my flooring.

I changed out these pillows to soft textured . much prettier . All of these rooms are in my face . From my kitchen I see everything so close to eachother as I knocked out the dining room wall to that sitting room

• User
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to critic and help . It has been super overwhelming and everyones input has helped alot. I had to put a picture of everything you see three main rooms open concept.

BLACK & PURPLE COUNTERS , ORANGE GRASS CLOTH WHITE PAINT BOXED IN ROOMS

BEFORE

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I do like the soft blue accents.

as for that tile, it just depends. who makes it?

you'll prob get this look:

I really like this irridescent white random bar splash. I've had a hard time locating this tile (it's an older picture)

Oceanside Glass and tile do make a very similar white tile in all diff shapes and size, colors, finishes.

this one is the Satin white Irridescent. you pick the color and then pick the type of mosaic or subway you want.

https://www.glasstile.com/pages/casa

heres the white again, but they have other colors and finishes.

what about mother of pearl?

or something like this?

User thanked Beth H. :
  • User
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Beth I am in Sarasota and purchased the tile https://www.flooranddecor.com/glass-decoratives/andes-silver-linear-glass-tile-100968882.html It is so soft and easy to look at. I am in a Villa the right side of my unit has no windows . I do have Large front to back living room with 3 large sliders. Southwest exposure. I did CRUSHED ICE, to help keep things light.

• User
    Original Author
    last year

It really looks so much softer in person. I really am nervous on picking grout . I do not want to darken it. They suggested: Mapei 201 Crystal moon flex color pre mixed grout?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

you already purchased this?

Ok, so I guess you've made your choice? lol .

don't copy this grout color used in the photo. use a bright white (Like Frost or avalanche)

I'd also tie in the blue w/some pendants

https://www.lumens.com/pendant-lighting/blue/?sz=96

Or, if you like the silver/white pendants, think about doing the island, (or put on a panel on the back of the island) in a soft blue

User thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I'd pick either of these (Mapei)

and then find a clear acrylic outlet cover.

User thanked Beth H. :
  • User
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Frost or Avalanche . For glass? I need KITCHEN HARDWARE . I am having trouble because I am one hole and must fill in the holes on 4 lower drawers or replace. I want chrome to match this light ????

See how dark the right side is with no lights. Villa all the light is one window in kitchen and 3 sliders overlooking water and preserve

• User
    Original Author
    last year

My husband insisted on white leather and I gave in . I feel like I have been fighting the dark in this unit from day one. I really appreciate your input so much and I now have to piece this together. I am putting color on island. DO YOU HAVE A SUGGESTION of COLOR for ISLAND?

• RedRyder
    last year

For the island Blue that works with the blue glass lamp and your artwork. Something close to navy but brighter.

User thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

For the glass tile grout, pick either of those colors in the unsanded grout. it's fine for glass. Make sure the thinset used is White, not gray. Laticrete-254 Platinum thinset mortar is good for glass tile.

chrome is chrome.

I like these

or these

https://www.forgehardwarestudio.com/products/moderna-chrome-cabinet-drawer-pulls-kitchen-drawer-handles?variant=19870989975622

https://www.forgehardwarestudio.com/collections/nickel-and-chrome-hardware/products/elite-drawer-pulls-in-polished-chrome?variant=39413045526598

https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Hills-Polished-Chrome-Cabinet/dp/B078HBHL1Q?th=1

Cosmas, polished chrome, (4389CH)

User thanked Beth H. :
  • Amanda Smith
    last year

Your home is beautiful! You have made a lot of great choices. I do love the openness of the space and the white leather sofas. I am on the other coast, near Fort Lauderdale.

User thanked Amanda Smith
  • Julie R.
    last year

If you’re now considering blue glass pendants, I have a pair of these in my white kitchen and love them (listed as “Marble Blue” seeded) https://a.co/d/gUcFkFn

User thanked Julie R.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

bad link julie. just post a pic of your lights in your home

• Julie R.
    last year

@Beth H. :I edited the link; hopefully it works for you now- but here it is in my kitchen for sense of scale (I’m not at home to take a close-up right now). The seeded glass does ”fun stuff” with light patterns on the ceiling at night.

User thanked Julie R.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Julie- those are pretty. that would be nice for OP's kitchen too.

(however, I think yours are hung a big high? maybe it's the photo. no more than 34-36" from the top of the countertop)

Cute cat!

• User
    Original Author
    last year

I fought very hard about the hood but my husband wouldnt back down for the micorwave so I opted for 10 inch

• shirlpp
    last year

More food for thought to break up the white a bit.

The back of the stool above with the pantry door that Beth shows - a bit up in the chain.

User thanked shirlpp
  • tangerinedoor
    last year

IMO a marble-y backsplash is too much marble design when placed against the marble-y counter.

I like the whites in the kitchen. I would go for classic, simple, plain: not mixed-medium, patterned, bling-y, or busy (e.g. lines, lines, lines), like some examples above. Something that will look current for years.

I like those fun-colored lights @shirlpp came up with! If you get sick of them in a few years, you can easily change them for not a lot of $$$, and your kitchen will have a whole new look.

User thanked tangerinedoor
  • chispa
    last year

Lots of good independently owned tile stores in the Sarasota area ... I would give them a try before going to the box/warehouse store.

Try these:

https://fishertile.com/ Great selection, low to high end, good pricing.

https://floridadesignworks.com/locations/sarasota/ Large selection. Good showroom. Priced higher than the other stores, so shop around.

http://sticksandstonessrq.com/ Good selection. New tile and engineered wood showroom.

http://www.tilemarket.com/ Carry mostly high end designer tile brands.

At these stores you can borrow the grouted tile sample boards to see how the tile would look when installed.

User thanked chispa
  • George
    last year

Do not do any kind of trendy tile or pencil tile . You will hate it in a year and it will look dated. Subway tile or zellige on the white spectrum. White kitchens have stood the test of time . You need to style it . Plants , cutting board etc . You can’t look at an unstyled kitchen and thinks it’s done . The one thing though is the top row of all solid doors . I’d swap out some doors with glass door. It needs to be broken up .

User thanked George
  • User
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Thank you all for all your input. I appreciate the offer of showing examples and actually taking time to give me links So helpful. I am taking slowing down to make sure I get the three things left. LIGHTS,, HANDLES & BACKSPLASH. These are so important to make sure I get them right. I wouldnt mind taking out some doors and adding glass and as offered changing out pantry door too at some point. But most important is BACKSPLASH< CABINET HARDWARE ( remember I have one hole center which means I have to drill and fill or get a small knob. I really really want Bigger handles all the way around so I have to do the worst thing you can to cabinets DRILL & FILL . * I will hire a professional to help with that and hope I have good results. That is a big concern.

• Jennifer K
    last year

Possible options for your pulls that avoid filling holes:

• replace single hole pull with large T pulls
    • get 2-hole pulls and re-use the existing hole while drilling a 2nd (this might mean your pulls are oddly positioned. It depends on the pull.
    • get 2-hole pulls with an escutcheon. The back plate covers the old hole so you don't have to worry about it.
    User thanked Jennifer K
  • User
    Original Author
    last year

Jennifer my daughter bought these beautiful handles for bottom drawers that look like modern cups but rectangular. I bet if I put those on bottom it will be like a cup handle but rectangular with a small https://www.signaturehardware.com/edvard-solid-brass-rectangular-cup-pull.html?pids=235773&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9ZGYBhCEARIsAEUXITXGzigb1ZPhAijsxybyibi8WfQxGOUAXHKH8G56Zd3Vu1nOo4khUNQaAtYLEALw_wcB

I am not saying exactly this but something modern that would be chrome and the I could pick matching 2 hole up top of course being mindful of it being oddly placed to get my larger handles that I think will make this cabinetry look beautiful. Prefferably square or should I do rounded . I am not sure

• Jennifer K
    last year

Those are pretty. My issue with cup pulls is that you can only pull them from underneath. That means you have to turn your hand over to use them. It's not a huge thing, but it's a deal-breaker for me. All that to say: in addition to considering looks, make sure you like how the pulls feel and function.

User thanked Jennifer K
  • gladdygirl
    last year

I LIKE THE FIRST TILE CHOICE

• shayvet
    last year

Beth H- can you provide the source for the barstool on the far right you pictured in your suggestions to the OP? i am looking for something similar for my kitchen. Thanks in advance!

• RedRyder
    last year

@User - have you done the backsplash? Would love to see how the kitchen looks now.

• olgarobin
    last year

In response to shayvet’s inquiry, if you are referring to the barstool pictured, it is called Arras. Just google the name and it will come up from a number of vendors. I bought mine from One Kings Lane. Just a word of warning, they are heavy.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

olga, that barstool pictured is sold by many companies. I listed at least 5 who sell them, including here on Houzz (prob cheaper than one kings lane)

Tapestry Barstool · More Info

this one is more expensive, not sure why. Diff sellers

Rope Woven Natural Beige Barstool Gray Mahogany Wood, All Weather Cushion · More Info

• shayvet
    last year

Thank you Beth and olgarobin! I searched with the information you provided and found them on sale for $640. Best price I’ve found now that I know how to define my search.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH