SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_710621259

7' kitchen range wall - upper cabinet dilemma

Pisces House
last month

The range wall in our new house plans is 7' long, and can't be any longer due to space considerations. We really want a 36" range, so that leaves us 24" of countertop on either side of the range. I am torn between having open shelving (which I prefer aesthetically) and having the storage that would come with upper cabinets. One idea I could go for is cabinets that go all the way to the countertop. IMO they feel more like furniture than cabinetry, which I like. I'm just wondering if a 12" wide cabinet that goes from countertop to ceiling would feel too small and weirdly proportioned? I guess I'm trying to have the best of both worlds - this photo attached is what I'd like to do, but I'm questioning whether there's room for both cabinets and open shelves, and whether they'd feel proportionally weird. Or would it be strange to have a ledge over the range, but under the hood, that extends from one cabinet to the other? Obviously I'm trying to work in some display space somewhere here. Opinions and ideas welcome! (Disregard the word "gap" in the photo, this was a screen shot from my TV)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Jewel Marie Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia