SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lanikaicoconut

Is it possible to put a large base cabinet on wheels?

I've got a tricky area of my kitchen to work around. There's a second egress I cannot block. A contractor told me I need 36" of clearance to the exit. Due to HVAC there will be a 12 inch soffit in that area which probably would be best hidden by upper cabinets. I was trying to rack my brain around how to make this work without it looking too strange.

There's physical space for a 24" deep x 57" wide base cabinet of drawers (once I remove the frame around the door). But due to the need of having a 36" clearance, there probably would only be room for about a 24" deep x 24" wide base cabinet. Number one, that would look strange with a 57" row of upper cabinets. I could always turn the base cabinet into a 24" deep x 24" wide floor to ceiling pantry cabinet. But then the 12" soffit would look kind of gnarly.

As I have a small kitchen and cook extensively (I've already given away a paella pan, tortilla press, and ebelskiver pan due to lack of space) every I'm trying to eke out every bit of storage. I then thought about putting the 57" wide base cabinet on wheels. Would that be possible? I don't know about the intricacies and physics about cabinet design. But if it would be possible, it would solve a lot of problems. It would also give me more landing space near the stove (which I'm trying to move into the area by the glass cabinets) in order to vent out the window (I live in a 100-year-old building in Manhattan and that's the only way to do it). I would most likely be storing pots and pans in that base cabinet in case that's pertinent.

Comments (24)