SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
comelyhomely

New build - ensuite bathroom walkway

comelyhomely
last year
last modified: last year

We received a ton of excellent feedback on our initial post (https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6285788/first-draft-back-from-architectural-designer-what-are-your-thoughts). We got our first set of revisions back, and now it's time to start honing in on specific areas. First up: the master suite.

This was the initial plan. We asked that the WIC be expanded north-south to allow for hanging rods on both sides and that the ensuite have a pocket door.

They fulfilled these requests, but also widened the WIC/ensuite east-west, narrowing the bedroom and flipping it 90-degrees in the process.

We'd like to remedy this by providing them with the specific interior dimensions we want.

• East-west we'd like 13' in the master bedroom, so that it can be flipped back to its previous furniture/window configuration. Based on my math that leaves 6'-7.25" inside the WIC/ensuite. The vanity would shrink to 42" but that still seems plenty spacious to us.
  • North-south is where we're struggling. Our designers said 7' is the minimum in the WIC (2' hanging space + 3' walkway + 2' hanging space). But in the ensuite they're suggesting 9' (2' vanity/toilet space + 4' walkway + 3' shower).

My thinking is that if a 3' walkway is sufficient in the WIC, a 3' walkway should be sufficient in the ensuite as well. My partner & I would get ready separately anyway, since there's only a single vanity, so it's not like a two-chef kitchen where a 4' walkway makes sense. I'm also concerned that the bedroom would start to feel too long & skinny at 13 x 16'-4.5".

My partner's thinking is he'd rather have too much space than not enough.

So, the question boils down to whether 3' is in fact "enough". And, at ~$250/sq ft, is that extra bit of wiggle room at the vanity worth a $5,000 addition to the entire master suite? Any insight would be much appreciated!

Comments (17)