SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katie_adamson1

New(ish) snake plant owner questions

Katie Adamson
last year

Hi! I got a snake plant to keep me company while I knit about a year ago and so far I think it’s doing ok. I was just wondering if it’s normal for new shoots to look different from the original plant? This one came out a lot taller and thinner and I can’t seem to find any Google results that explain it exactly. Can you tell from looking at it if I’m doing something wrong? (I’ve been keeping it opposite to a south-facing window with a curtain that lets plenty of light through. The lighting in the pictures looks weird because I waited until after dark to ask. I water it basically whenever the soil seems dry, which is usually 1.5-3 weeks, maybe pushing 4 if I’m not paying attention. I repotted it this spring with a cactus mix, not sure if I should mind the oxidizing perlite).

Second picture: I forgot to water it for about six weeks during the end of the semester this year and a new leaf at the base shriveled up and turned white. It started to go brown (still dry), so I removed it just now and noticed that there was an exposed bit that was sort of orange with two little nubs. Did the soil shift and expose roots? Can I just cover it back up?

Comments (7)