SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
trianglejohn

Raleigh Fall Swap

trianglejohn
3 months ago

The 2022 Raleigh Fall Swap will be held Saturday, September 24 at White Deer Park - Pine Shelter in Garner. The shelter is reserved from 1pm until 4pm. Swapping will begin around 2. Everything will be the same as in past swaps. We are limited to 50 participants. Everything is as it has been in the past except we are back at the Pine Shelter on the left side of the parking lot when you enter.

As in the past we have no rules, you are free to haul anything gardening related to the swap and give it away - this includes live plants, seeds and bulbs, cuttings, pottery, tools and equipment. One thing that sets our swap apart from others is that we do not require you to even bring plants in order to participate. We always have way more plants than people. If you feel guilty taking something for nothing you can always bring food for the potluck picnic.

Here is a map showing the town of Garner’s White Deer Park shelters:

https://www.garnernc.gov/departments/parks-recreation-and-cultural-resources/parks-facilities/parks/white-deer-park/shelters

An easy way to get there is to take the Beltline to exit #299 and turn South (away from downtown Raleigh). The road you are on is Hammond Road . Stay on this same road as it crosses Hwy 70, by now it has changed names to Timber Drive. Take Timber Drive all the way to Aversboro Street and turn Right (this intersection has a Wallgreens, a CVS and a Lowe’s Foods). There is a small city sign showing how to get to White Deer or Lake Benson Park. White Deer Park is on the right. There is a church on the opposite side of the street. If you see a big wooden sign for Lake Benson you have gone one short block too far. Once you enter the park take the first turn to the left and drive until you see the big parking lot. Our shelter (Pine) is on the left as you enter the parking lot and right up against the parking lot.

Comments (81)

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    2 months ago

Awesome, Citrus Guy. I have two camellias in 3-gallon pots: 'Londontowne Blush' and 'Bobby Fain' -- and 'Solomon's Best Dwarf' in a 1-gallon pot. I can dig 'Green 98-013' and 'Christmas Candy' if you like. That is in addition to the carnivorous plants.

• The Citrus Guy
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

OMG! I will DEFINITELY take the 'Londontowne Blush' and 'Bobby Fain'. I am not familiar with the 'Solomon's Best Dwarf', is that a sasanqua, japonica, retic or ????

I am looking through my nomenclature books and don't see it.

I have the other two.

I will take the three Camellias and anything else of the Carnivorous plants you want to give me. Let me know if you want or need anything else from my list above.

Update: Okay, I found the 'Solomon's Best Dwarf' on Camellia Forest's website. Yup, I LIKE IT!

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Raleigh Fall Swap 2011

Q

Comments (7)
    I was always told that the older varieties needed a pollinator and the 'Mother Vine' would certainly fit that category but I can't find any resource that answers the question. I wouldn't worry about it - there are so many wild and cultivated grapes around that there isn't much need to own your own pollinator... I think
    ...See More

WANTED: 2012 Raleigh Fall Swap

Q

Comments (8)
    I'm planning to attend the swap & looking forward to seeing everyone! Would anyone be interested in a Curry Leaf Tree (Murraya koenigii)? It's a sensitive plant, but the leaves are great for cooking. Ralph, I'd love to try Shell Ginger again! Thanks. Jeri
    ...See More

WANTED: Raleigh Fall Swap & Picnic 2013

Q

Comments (150)
    casalester, the lady fern makes a nice clump and is easy. spleenwort does make a clump but it's small- like maybe 8" when full grown, so i doubt you'll get much coverage. It is evergreen, though. your choice. lisianthuslover, my bad. i just assumed b/c you'd seen jeri's rose... i do recall digging alstromeria this spring. It was a bit frantic, though at the swap. be nice to put a face to a name. i do have some ornamental oregano, can get you some. Carla, yes, i remember now! Super cute. Sure, swing by afterwards and get a branch. but you can have a pot, too- i have several. :) by the time you move it might be to a whole 2'! LOL yes, dogridge, i have plenty of pawpaws. Your name is on one! :)
    ...See More

wanted: wanted: raleigh fall swap & picnic 2013 (part 2)

Q

Comments (6)
    Hey everybody! Hate to hijack on old thread but for some reason I can't start a new post and I can only sometimes respond to other people's posts. Not sure what I did to piss somebody off.... Anyway, the Spring 2014 Raleigh Swap is in the same location as always on Saturday, April 19th (Easter Weekend) from 2 to 4. All the other weekends were booked and more than likely the shelter will be booked before our swap so come prepared. Hopefully winter will be OVER by then. Can't wait to see everyone.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Screenwriter
    2 months ago

All four of the carnivorus plants are for you, Citrus Guy, and the three camellias. Can I add the aloe vera to the list?

• The Citrus Guy
    2 months ago

ABSOLUTELY!

How many Aloe do you want?

THANK YOU!!

• Ralph Whisnant
    2 months ago

I am looking forward to seeing many of you again. I am going to be very limited in what I will have to bring but will post a list soon.. I have lost a lot of my coleus collection so I would be interested in coleus cuttings that I can root and overwinter.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    2 months ago

Citrus Guy, one aloe would be great. Looking forward to meeting you.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    2 months ago

Hi Ralph, I hope all is well. I will collect a lot of different varieties for you.

• karen__w z7 NC
    2 months ago

Ralph, most of my Coleus are looking a little leggy right now, but I'll have a few cuttings for you.

Vlad, I have some ... stuff for you. I hope you like it.

• Vlad Pambucol
    2 months ago

Oh yeah Karen. I am SO looking forward for the stuff from you.

• hosta200
    2 months ago

I was really looking forward to the Fall swap but unfortunately will have to miss it as I'll be working. Y'all have fun!

• sandlapper_rose
    2 months ago

I haven't seen much mentioned but I assume we should bring food to share with the group like we did at the Spring swap? Everything was delicious last time.

Citrus Guy, I have never tried any type of citrus and only ask this if you are at the point where you would like to reduce your work load by letting me have one of the smaller offerings to see how I do with trying to grow one. Don't feel obligated since I feel a bit bad not to be able to bring many plants with me. I will bring seeds since I have lots of seed packets. Also, I know this is odd but I planted some tomato seeds a few weeks ago and so far they are still growing so if they make it until Sat. I will bring those. All I know is they were labeled current tomatoes. I thought with the hot fall temperatures or for someone with a greenhouse, they may work out for someone. I have certainly never tried starting tomatoes this late in the year before. The plants are very small at this point and I have maybe 8-10 of them. In a day or two, I'll post some more details of what I can bring.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    2 months ago

I also have clerodendrum 'Blue Butterfly' and pineapple lilies to share.

Does anyone have 'Pavillion Pink' caryopteris, phlox 'Bruce's White' or penstemon 'Polaris Purple' to share?

• karen__w z7 NC
    2 months ago

Mike, you'll be missed. I still need to come visit your work.

• The Citrus Guy
    2 months ago

Sandlapper_Rose,

Absolutely! No problem.

Just remember, they WILL need to be protected below 32 degrees and can/will get fairly large. They can be grown indoors, but that is extremely difficult and time-consuming. Come search me out at the swap, I will see what I have for you.

Darren

• sandlapper_rose
    2 months ago

Darren, I'll speak with you and see if what I have in mind to care for a citrus plant will keep it alive. Something only about 3 - 3 1/2 feet tall I can take in and out of the house. Otherwise I was thinking about my screened porch and wrapping an old blanket around it if it was too cold. I also heard in SC that having a light on it in the cold helped a lot. However, keep in mind I've never grown citrus so I don't know much.

Thank you.

• The Citrus Guy
    2 months ago

Sandlapper_Rose

No worries!

I will bring what I have and talk you through everything.

See you Saturday!

Darren

• Vlad Pambucol
    2 months ago

Are we still doing food? We are planning to bring something.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    2 months ago

Elsie, do you want more of the purple shamrock?

• sandlapper_rose
    2 months ago

Vlad, I was planning to bring food so we'll see if that's right.

I have looked through garden related things that I can bring without a lot of success. My plants that I hoped, months ago, to share are pretty pitiful (and some have died) with the recent weather. I have small tomato seedlings (seeds were marked current tomatoes) and I have some cuttings of Virginia Sweetspire (only 3 cuttings so perhaps all should go to one person giving them a chance to have at least 1 survive). I hoped they would root by now, but they haven't cooperated. They are nice and green so I think they will root.)

I also have these seeds. A few are commercial packets, but mostly from swaps here on Houzz. Some may date back to 2018 but most are much more recent than that. I can tag for a person if you really want a certain kind, but without that I will just set them on the table for people to take what they want.

Agastache Blue Delight

Chinese Wool Flower

Colorado Red Star Artichoke

Detroit Dark Red Beet

German Lunchbox Tomato

Hollyhock White Single

Japanese Wasabi Radish

Kabocha Japanese Pumpkin Squash

Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate

Milkweed Silky Gold

Mizuna Beni Houshi

Nigella Love in a Puff

Painted Lady Runner Bean

Procut Gold Lite DMR Sunflower

Red Burgundy Okra

Russian Mammoth Sunflower

Scarlet Emperor Runner Bean

Sharalyn Melon

Sugar Baby Watermelon

Sweet Autumn Clematis

Tatsoi Asian Green Seed

Tomato Black Vernissage

Verbena bonariensis

Waltham Butternut Squash

White Hailstone Radish

White Queen Tomato

Wingstem Wildflower (Yellow Blooms 6')

Jeanne

• Ralph Whisnant
    2 months ago

I am bringing for general distribution some large pots of ginger lilies, dwarf cannas, aristolochias aka pipe vine, colocasia (ee's) pink elephant. For trade I have salvia Oxyphora, a unique fuzzy pink flowered Salvia that is marginally hardy but has overwintered for me for several years. And for special trade I have an Alocasia (elephant ear) 'Okinawa Silver' whose leaves have different combinations of green and white. I can dig up the hardy begonias grandis and/or cuculata if anyone is interested. I can also dig and pot a Celandine poppy or two.

Jeanne, I would like some mizuna, tatsoi and silky gold milkweed seed if you have enough to spare.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    2 months ago

Hi Ralph. I'd like the 'Okinawa Silver' if there is anything on my list you want to trade.

• countrygirlsc, Upstate SC
    2 months ago

oh, I just saw this. As some of you know, I broke both bones in my right (dominant) wrist in early August and severely sprained my left wrist. I have not been able to do any gardening and am still on "light" duty for another couple weeks. I really hope I'll be able to make it in the spring! I'm so sad!

• Sabji garden (7b), Raleigh NC
    2 months ago

Hello Everyone,

I am late for the first time to the party. Ralph mentioned it today and I am thinking of coming.

This year has been a slow year for me in terms of veggie harvests and hence the delay in joining. I am not sure what i can bring this time ;-(.

Countrygirl, Sorry to hear that.I hope you get better soon! Hugs!

• karen__w z7 NC
    2 months ago

Ralph, if I have time before Saturday, I'm going to pot up some seedlings of Achimenes longiflora for you. It's tropical but should go well with overwintering Coleus.

2 months ago

Hello Citrus guy,

I was wondering if anyone has claimed the indian guava and surinam cherry. I would love to get them

What would you like for in exchange.?

I have Jujube rootstock plants that are thorny.

I also have seeds harvested from Sponge luffa gourd, Bottle gourd, bitter gourd, basils various. african blue basil plants. Would you be interested in a Jasminium officinale, a winter hardy vine (zone 7 and up) ?

Let me know.

• Ralph Whisnant
    2 months ago

Val' I will bring you the Okinawa Silver ee. I forgot to mention that I have a ton of Egyptian Walking Onion bulblets

• brenda_near_eno
    2 months ago

I hope everyone finds their object of desire, and i will miss you all more than i can say say !

2 months ago

Brenda, Sunil and I will miss you. I was almost going to miss this swap. Ralph reminded me.

• Vlad Pambucol
    2 months ago

Brenda ... oh man ... I didn't realize Salma Hayek is coming! 😀

2 months ago

Hello If anyone has seeds of edibles and easy to grow flowering plants, I would like to swap..

I am especially looking for white gourd aka Ask gourd or winter melon seeds., Trombochino seeds , lemon cucumber seeds., Baby Round purple stem eggplants, okra , spinach, etc.

• elsie narron
    2 months ago

I can not attend the swap tomorrow.I will be going to a friends funeral.

Karen, Save my berry plant for me Please! Thank you.

Val; The banana plants that you gave me in may,has bananas on them.I

was so excited.The yellow clematis had hundreds of yellow flowers.Thanks for the nice plants!

Hope to see everyone in the spring!

• The Citrus Guy
    2 months ago

Hello, Sabji Garden, I believe one of the Indian guava and surinam cherry are still available.

I would LOVE a Jujube! I will put your name on them.

• The Citrus Guy
    2 months ago

Sandlapper_Rose. As easily as I can grow all kinds of exotic plants, I struggle with things like Milkweed. If you still have the Milkweed Silky Gold available, I would LOVE to try that again.

2 months ago

Citrus Guy thanks! Will bring the Jujube for your Guava and surinam cherry.

Thanks again!!!

2 months ago

I have

cuttings of

1. Gardenia

2. Lonicera "Major wheeler" Trumpet honeysuckle

3. Raspberry

4. Red Malabar spinach

4. Luffa sponge

seeds of

5. various basils

6. Luffa squash

7. Fenugreek

Will see what else i can find in my dry garden.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for seeds of ;

Ash gourd white winter gourd,

Sorrel , plain and striped,

Spinach

Daikon radish,

Bok choi/ Pok choi

Eggplants any

Trombocino squash , any other large quash

Pepperocini/ Shishito/ Cubanelle peppers

Any veggie seeds

• karen__w z7 NC
    2 months ago

Elsie, will hold a pink and white Callicarpa for you until next time. I'm sorry you won't make it, and sorrier for the reason.

• The Citrus Guy
    2 months ago

Hey, Sabji garden!

Ok, so I was going through my seed box, and did I find some crazy stuff!

I will post pictures of some of them, I can't even begin to tell you what they are.

NOW, as fair admission, these are from 2019 and/or earlier, but I have never opened them and they were stored in a shoebox on the bottom of my bookshelf.

I also found some seeds from the USDA Germplasm stations that, again, I have never opened.

I will post exactly what is on those labels.

Cucurbita pepo from Moldova

Cucurbita pepo from China, Manchuria

Cucurbita pepo from Spain, Valencia

Cucurbita maxima from Argentina

Cucurbita maxima from Paraguay

Here is the picture of the ones I am not sure WHAT they are.

LOL, I do know what Spinach is, wasn't paying attention.

If nobody speaks up for any of these, I will bring them anyway and put them in the free for all.

Let me know!

Darren

• JJLM garden 7b
    2 months ago

Haven’t planned on any special trades but ill be there tomorrow & will bring food & plants/seeds/roots!

Screenwriter, i believe there was a camellia you had for me that didn’t make the transfer at the spring swap- is that right?

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    2 months ago

JJLM -- Yes, I gave the camellia to another lady by mistake. I'll have it for you. Unfortunately, the tomatoes and peppers didn't grow.

• Maryann D
    2 months ago

Ralph, If you have time, I'd like one or two of your hardy begonias grandis.

• sandlapper_rose
    2 months ago

Soon everyone will be on their way. I am also bringing 3 garden/cooking books. Hope someone will want them. And good news, the Virginia Sweetspire got roots here at the last minute.

Pulling out the seeds that were requested so they will have your name on them..

Very excited to do this again!

• sandlapper_rose
    2 months ago

I want to thank those who shared plants. I'm always so excited to see all the plants and I know I have some wonderful ones to learn more about from this swap. The group is always so warm, friendly and generous. You are wonderful!

• Vlad Pambucol
    2 months ago

Great seeing everybody and great meeting everybody. Christine and I are SOOOO looking forward to planting all those.

Vlad

• CasaLester RTP, NC (7b)
    2 months ago

@The Citrus Guy check out our discussion thread on Cold Hardy Succulents

• The Citrus Guy
    2 months ago

I will, Thank You! CasaLester!

• elsie narron
    2 months ago

Karen,Thank you!! What are your favorite things to grow?Do you not grow any brugmansia?

Hope to see everybody in the spring.

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    2 months ago

Vlad and Christine, we have hundreds of large pots you can have to move your plants.

• Vlad Pambucol
    2 months ago

Hello Val. Got your call and definitely we will take you up on the pots!

We will need to do a bit of planning and staging :-) to see how and when we will move plants but oh yeah, we'll definitely call you to get some big pots and learn from the masters of plants moving

Vlad

• PRO
    Screenwriter
    2 months ago

Sounds great. Be safe with the hurricane coming.

last month

Hello Citrus Guy,

I am not sure how I missed your seed packets post. I saw the packets at the swap and took some. But Somehow I missed them when I was loading my van. I had them on the last table where the remaining plants were placed.

If any of you saw them, please do use them, or if you do not need them, I will love to take them in spring if still available.