SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
mary_perariaheinrich

Art too small for the space?

Mary
last month
last modified: last month

Is this art too small for the space? If not, how is the placement? Should it be higher? Lower? More to the left or right?

Comments (89)

• Mary
    Original Author
    last month

Okay another attempt at art on that wall:

Does that work?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last month

its a very pretty room! The pictures are very nice, and if you love it go with it. I still think that plant needs to go. maybe you have a small arm chair you could try there?

Mary thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Related Discussions

The Art of Living in Small Spaces

Q

Comments (4)
    When I saw this article, I thought about the American Indians living in tents many years ago because the house isn't much larger than a tent. Instead of each person keeping tools, they passed them around and shared them. We all have too much stuff. Thanks for another good link Flowerlady.
    ...See More

Wall art too small?

Q

Comments (28)
    Try this out on the floor: A gallery wall using the piece you showed in the first picture, perhaps even placed vertically, the square piece with the round dark and turquoise ring and the three smaller pictures. If you can make this look good in some configuration on the floor, then hang it up and see how you like it over the couch. Perhaps a turquoise pillow or two on the couch to bring the two elements together. Even is you did nothing except to hang your existing piece a few inches higher that might work for now. It's a very nice and well put-together room right now, and I'm sure with time it will only get better.
    ...See More

Art is Too Small for Wall

Q

Comments (20)
    I would have it reframed, including a mat to enlarge the piece on the whole, and then hang it slightly lower. You don't need to add anything else to the wall; as noted above, the minimalism is quite nice, and adding more will detract from that.
    ...See More

Art Art Art! Need suggestions for on or above fireplace decor.

Q

Comments (17)
    I post accessories because it would matter as to your art.... https://www.etsy.com/listing/915171928/18x18-throw-pillow-cover-thick-linen?click_key=00a9f6202d0d370c94866a7792e57679f5864f1f%3A915171928&click_sum=13fd9e20&ref=internal_similar_listing_bot-6 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- https://www.etsy.com/listing/877047017/william-morris-throw-pillow-cover-morris?ref=listing_page_ad_row-5&pro=1&frs=1&listing_id=877047017&listing_slug=william-morris-throw-pillow-cover-morris&plkey=2181f9bb37e207d1eaef8b9df895fd763e6e75b4%3A877047017
    ...See More
  • Gizmo
    last month

palimpsest*

9 days ago

I would try the pair of prints over the TV and then get another one for over the computer, longer.

As I said before, I don't agree that all art has to be centered around eye level.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

How true

Yrs back I was helping a friend hang art in her new apartment - I put one of the pictures near the floor next to 'Brutus' -a bust she had,... w/a nearby chair in the mix it created an interesting vignette

Against all decorating conventional wisdom, the art hung near the floor made sense

Back to the OP - would you consider doing the whole wall in a mural and foregoing hanging any art?

Some mural examples: https://www.anthropologie.com/search?q=murals

• ffpalms
    last month

I want to chime in with the others who have suggested gallery style artworks around the TV. I noticed that in the one Celery posted, the TV overlaps one of the pieces a bit. This layering is a nice look. That wall is a great opportunity to showcase your personality rather than have it be all about the TV.

Pearl District Condo · More Info

• Mary
    Original Author
    last month

RL Relocation. I have tried putting various armchairs in that space and I guess the space is not as big as it looks in the pictures as there just isn't enough room. It just does not work. I do have a rocking chair handed down by my husband's grandmother sitting around in the basement. I could try that ?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last month

yes, I would like to see what any chair looks like.

• Mary
    Original Author
    last month

RL Relocation, here is a pic with the arm chair that came withour set in that space:

• PRO
    Overland Remodeling & Builders
    last month

I love that art first of all, but I if you have any other place where you could hang it that would be great. That art looks awkward on the first pic you have shown.

I would also suggest you get a bigger console and have your tv mounted and I also have to say that you needed a smaller plant on that space.

• Mary
    Original Author
    last month

And here is a picture with the rocker in that space (does not look good in my opinion):

• Mary
    Original Author
    last month

I guess if I want a chair there I would have to buy one specifically for that space. And I am not so keen on that, plus we do have a lot of seating in that room - it’s not like we need another piece of seating furniture there. I guess that’s why a plant was suggested for that corner. Although, if the perfect chair fell onto my lap I would not be opposed to putting it there just not sure I want to go out and search for and buy the perfect chair for that space.

• traditionalbetty
    last month

I have been reading comments because we also had a TV wall that needed something. Something I noticed in your space is that you have a lot of rectangular shapes in your existing artwork and the television. If you are looking only to add something to the wall in that corner, maybe two smaller stacked pictures in a square shape rather than rectangular pieces, or something rectangular that is longer vertically rather than horizontally. Or since you have a work desk there, perhaps a round wall clock would work. I think a little contrast in the shapes throughout the room might be all that’s needed. Whatever you select, what matters most is that you enjoy it and that the room is functional and comfortable for its purpose. Good luck!

Mary thanked traditionalbetty
  • Mary
    Original Author
    last month

How about this configuration?

• jlouise54
    last month

Mary - is the rocker something you want to use somewhere in your house? If so, I think it fits that space well. There have been several suggestions of a gallery wall. I think the rocker lends itself to that better than the plant. I also like the suggestion of a clock on the desk side of the TV. Then if you used the rocker, I would soften it with a cozy throw and hang two pictures on each of the two corner walls. Your two smallish prints shown in the prior picture could work.

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last month

Hi Mary, like many others have suggested, we would recommend a smaller "gallery" wall to help bring some extra oomph to that space. The pictures that you attached above look a bit cluttered and not as intentional. I would play around with different sized paper that matches with your artwork so you can find the perfect placement.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last month

Ok so now i know the rocker is too small but sans plant is much better. Im not digging the right side only wall gallery its just off. I truly think less is more.

• Mary
    Original Author
    last month

FFPalms, I quite like your layout - I am going to try that. I was originally really resistant to putting art above the TV but I like how you did it. Thanks! Oh, and I actually have two of the larger one (it was a set of two) so is there a place for another the exact size of the largest one? If not, I can definitely find another place for it in the house. But would love to see how you would arrange it since I like your current mock-up so much!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last month

Basic question. Is that the only place for the computer stand/location. Much easier to decorate without that corner filled up. If you want plant, try an Olive Tree. It’s more open and light feeling.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last month

I wonder if you could pull sofa more into the room on an angle and put computer behind it? What is length and width of room?

• aventu
    last month

Following…

• ffpalms
    last month

Here’s a look with another large piece.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last month

Rough mock up putting sofa on angle to open up spaces.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last month

Need measurements but this is concept.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last month

@Flo Mangan She said earlier she doesnt want to redo the room "again", I think at this point we can only help with the balance of the room. I really want to help i think the biggest issue is the Tv is commanding so much space, seeing it now with a chair in the corner, it looks really small next to the tv. But I like it better than the plant.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last month

Mary, I did scroll back and understand your situation, but sometimes I just think small tweaks can make a huge difference. Grouping art in a single spot actually makes a bigger impact than spreading many out in a room. Leave TV wall alone and get a cool gallery arrangement around mantel/fireplace.

• lisalane
    last month

Mary, just chiming in with yet another thought for a small tweak. Is it possible to move your computer monitor to the other side of your desk so that it is against the wall perpendicular to your TV wall? The monitor would then not compete with any art on the TV wall.

• katrina_ellen
    last month

No chair in that corner for sure, it has no purpose and looks crowded in. I like the two prints over the tv. I would keep it simple. I see why you put a tree in the corner, to balance the desk, but is there anyway to relocate the desk. I think maybe rethink your furniture placement as Flo as shown, then to balance the tree you have to add those prints if you want that area to look more full. Lots of ideas here for sure!

• Mary
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks all. Im thinking of leaviing the art like this. Thoughts? I have had it like this for a number of days now because I have not been able to get back to rearranging and it’s growing on me. If it does not look right, I will go with ffpalms suggested arrangement. Oh, and I think I will replace the plant with the Crate & Barrel olive tree someone sugested.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last month

I would extend art using some darker tones in prints to tie in blacks of TV and computer station to minimize their visual impact.

• Mary
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thanks Flo. Any one else have any suggestions for the placement of art/prints?

• lisalane
    28 days ago

Mary, would help to see pics of the other side of your room to understand entire space. One thought I had up-post was to move your larger computer monitor to face the adjacent wall so it isn’t competing so much with art on the TV wall. May not be possible but would help with art placement.

• Mary
    Original Author
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

Thanks, but I can't move monitor (There are actually two monitors on the desk anyway.) I just need ideas on how to place the art.

• Mary
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Other side of room if that helps:

• lisalane
    28 days ago

Thanks Mary! Nice room with all the windows! What is behind the couch by the desk - windows or wall? One more pic would be great…

• Mary
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thanks. Behind the couch by the desk is my kitchen. The family room flows into the kitchen and morning room.

• lisalane
    28 days ago

Two ideas:

1) Move your two art pieces on the left side of the FP to above TV. Then large landscape above computer monitor. The two silver framed prints could go to the left of FP.

really rough mock-up with some paintings upside down :--(

2) Swap locations of chair and sofa under window. So scooch couch (and ottoman/coffee table) away from FP wall to almost center under three windows. Then move and angle chair to the left of the FP. Just a suggestion for trying an easy change in layout

• Mary
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thanks, Lisalane. We have already tried that furniture arrangement and it did not work. I think it's that the chair is too big for that corner. I think we have tried all kinds of furniture arrangements and the arrangement we have really does work the best. It is the room we 'live' in not a staging room and it is where we gather as a family and watch tv. Eventually, the desk/work area will move but for the next few years at least it is staying put.

I just need ideas for art arrangement in the desk/computer monitor area (if any art/prints should go there at all). I like how the rest of the room is. I like those prints by the fireplace where they are - I do not want to move them. I also am not keen on putting art above the tv - not sure why but it just does not look right to me ( I have had prints above it before) although I do like FFPalms art arrangement layout suggestion so I may try that.

• Mary
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Here is another angle showing the controversial corner. if people could just give me some ideas on placement on art that would be great.

• btydrvn
    28 days ago

Has anyone suggested smaller art on each wall in the corner?…limiting placement to the width of the table ends?

• Mary
    Original Author
    28 days ago

That’s a thought. maybe three on each side

• Gcubed
    28 days ago

I think it looks off balance with the tree on one side and computer table/art on the other. Would you consider a wooden chair/drink table (instead of tree) and then art on that side of TV. I think the symmetry would be more fitting for the room

• Mary
    Original Author
    28 days ago

If I want a chair there I would have to buy one specifically for that space. And I am not so keen on that, plus we do have a lot of seating in that room - it’s not like we need another piece of seating furniture there. I guess that’s why a plant was suggested for that corner. Although, if the perfect chair fell onto my lap I would not be opposed to putting it there just not sure I want to go out and search for and buy the perfect chair for that space.

I may replace that tree with one suggested earlier from Crate & Barrell that is lighter and smaller. I just need ideas for art arrangement in the desk/computer monitor area (if any art/prints should go there at all).

• Mary
    Original Author
    28 days ago

I guess I could replace the tree with a plant stand with a plant but that corner does not get sunlight and is not a good place for live plants.

I just need ideas for art arrangement in the desk/computer monitor area (if any art/prints should go there at all). I am happy with how the rest of the room is.

• yeonassky
    28 days ago

I'm sure that this has been suggested but I will reiterate.

Take some large poster board or paper or cardboard, then cut it into different sizes of pictures. Then tape it with a some kind of tape that removes easily or even just get family members to hold it up and take pictures of it.

That way you get an idea of many different ways of designing it so that the pictures look good.

I personally prefer it to look even on both sides but that is me. As long as the visual weight is the same on both sides that's what really counts.

Sometimes when you have to have what you have you have to experiment and this is a cheap way to do it.

• lisalane
    28 days ago

Maybe it would help to pull the tree out of the corner a bit. Needs some room to breathe (even if it isn’t alive…)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    28 days ago

Here is idea for art in the corner.

Mary thanked Flo Mangan
  • Mary
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Thanks, Flo! I like it!

• lisaam
    28 days ago

Flo’s image above is the best we’ve seen I think

• okibujp
    28 days ago

Mary, I did some minor rearrangement of the wall art....

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    26 days ago

I swear to you, the rest of the room looks great. It really is the TV and stand that are throwing the whole thing off. Please I am being really honest here. I know you dont want to hear it, the hair pin legs, large tv and tiny entertainment stand. the miracles that could work if just that one thing changed. Not only that, there is not one thing in the room that stand marries to. You have a pretty traditional space and that tv stand is leaning MCM. Notice how the artwork doenst look so off?