SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joypdx

privacy shrubs for winter water logging

joypdx
last year

I am looking for suitable shrubs( or small tree) for a partially shaded area that stays very soggy throughout winter due to water runs coming from neighbors uphill. I have lost 2 shrubs and vine maple due to the soil condition in winter that has worsened in recent years. The area happens to be along a fence along the west side, it will also help if this shrub can also provide privacy in summer. Based on the research I have done, Red or yellow twig Dogwood and Salix are two possible options. I already have a Salix variety along the fence and for the Dogwoods I am not sure how much privacy they can provide considering they need to be pruned every spring, a chore I would rather avoid. But it looks like I may have to settle for dogwood unless if anyone can suggest any other plant.

Here is the list for wet areas but I am not sure if these plants can take constant water during winter.

https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/plants-for-damp-or-wet-areas/

As long as the plant has decent foliage it will work for me but it will be nice if the shrub can grow at least 6 feet but remain less than 12.

Thanks,

Comments (10)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm