SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Fedex rant and random marinade recipe

mtnrdredux_gw
last year
last modified: last year

I am having friends to dinner next week, and one of them self-authored a cookbook of which I have a copy. I decided it would be nice to make something from it, but low-stakes. I am making a dessert and also making a crudite dip from her cookbook.

The dip has an unlikely (though mundane) ingredient that I could not find locally and had to order from Walmart. They use Fedex and long-story-short i have to wait around today to sign for a 10oz. jar of this:

Can you imagine? Meanwhile UPS blithely leaves packages worth hundreds if not more. Hate. Fedex

On another note, one of the mealtrain meals I made was grilled greek chicken with naan, tzatziki, lettuce, tomato, etc. I usually don't season the chicken much when I make that for us, but I wanted the chicken to be tasty even if they opted to eat it by itself. So I tried a new marinade and it was very good! I think what is interesting about it is the honey. It does not taste at all sweet, but has a nice depth of flavor. I cut the chicken in little strips to maximize the coating surface. I recently read that marinade is not about penetrating the meat but about coating the outside. Anyway, highly recc this marinade:

https://www.savorynothings.com/greek-chicken-marinade/

Comments (32)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

PS remind me again, when I go to post I do not see "cooking forum" as a option, and if I search I get "cookware." Houzz, can this be fixed? Seems wrong.

• sushipup2
    last year

My mother used Durkee's in a couple of recipes and a dip. Back in Memphis many years ago, I've never seen it on grocery shelves elsewhere.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year
  • Lyban zone 4
    last year

Mtn

see if this works for you

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/cooking

• dees_1
    last year

It's not FedEx who determines if signature is required; it's the shipper. Blame the shipper.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked dees_1
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

That's my understanding, but for some reason most of the time i get pkgs from Fedex, they require a signature. Maybe UPS charges the shipper more to do that or something... IDK. But I am in Fedex jail until they get here.

I was curious, just looked it up. Fedex charges the shipper less to get a signature, so I guess shippers who want a signature use them, and that is why it only seems to happen to me w Fedex.

• Funkyart
    last year

love the marinade recommendation-- especially since it's all stuff I generally have on hand!

Dees is right-- someone must have clicked the wrong option when shipping. I have left a sign on the door saying I accept the delivery. It kind of depends on the delivery person-- I have ordered items that required someone 21 yr+ to sign and some just leave the package.. some require me to sign.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Funkyart
  • jb1586
    last year

Thanks for posting the Greek chicken marinade. It looks delish!

mtnrdredux_gw thanked jb1586
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Someone messaged me for the dip recipe, so I will post it here. I have never had it. Strikes me as unusual.

• OllieJane
    last year

I'll add to the Fedex rant...we must be one of the last stops (if that's how it works?) because nine out of ten times, we are put off until the next day...or two! Frustrating! And...they are the only one who does NOT leave our packages inside our courtyard up by our front door step. They leave it outside our gate. Truly, I have no other problems with other deliveries.

If it is something I am expecting the day they are "suppose" to deliver, or I am worried about someone snatching it, I change it to picking it up at the Fedex store.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked OllieJane
  • palimpsest
    last year

On the other hand here they dump things and are down the street before you get to the door and there are a dozen packages stolen every day in my neighborhood. And I got something delivered to work that, unless one of my coworkers stole it was never actually delivered.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked palimpsest
  • lascatx
    last year

Mtn, you can leave a note on the door that says they can leave the package and sign it. It is also possible the driver will leave a package without signature -- they apparently have some discretion on whether to leave it without signature, but you can't bank on that -- especially when you need the item without delay. But a note left should work.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

I understand it is different in an urban area; but surely they have the data to understand that there is almost zero risk of that here. I had squirrels tear into a box of christmas candy, that's about it.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

Well, my Fedex just tosses the boxes in front of the garage, which is next to the street and not by the front door, where they say they put it. No signature, no nothing.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

I've posted this before but for me it is spot on:

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

mtnrdredux_gw, Yes

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

The problem with leaving a note is where to leave it. We have two gates, and some don't know which to enter. We have many many french doors. Our front door is a barn door style french door but I am not sure they knowthat it is the front door. They leave packages all over the place; it can be like an Easter Egg hunt.

UPS knows exactly where to leave packages and it is always in the same spot; on the bench under a covered breezeway between the primary garage and side door. Perfect. He also has our number and sometimes texts us!

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

I love it when my package comes UPS>

• woodrose
    last year

I never have to sign for anything delivered by Fedex, Walmart, UPS, or USPS. Not sure why, because I have had to sign for things in the past.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

FedEx just leaves our packages on the front stoop then takes a photo of it sitting there and emails it to me so I know it's arrived.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

As far as finding forums to post to, seems to be browser dependent. If I want to post to here and kitchen table as an example, I have to start the post here as I don't see an option for this forum. Someone else used a different browser and had the opposite issue.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Bunny
    last year

Most of my deliveries are by UPS or Amazon. If I'm home and see them pull up, I usually walk down my front path to meet them and take the package. Once the Amazon person said they actually needed to take a photo of it on my front step so the handover exchange didn't happen.

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

I am actually going to WalMart in a bit - few things can get me in that store but I need several inexpensive planters. And on a Saturday afternoon no less - certainly counts as all of the circles of he!! in my book. But since I'm there you KNOW I'm going to look for Durkee's sauce for that dip. I do remember it from somewhere, maybe my childhood but more likely college - Durkee sounds like something Missourians would like ;-)

• sushipup2
    last year

Mother's dip recipe was also a curry-favoring. I suspect that Durkee's has a very limited distribution area, primarily in the South or Mid-South, Mother was from Missouri, we lived in Memphis. I don't think I have the recipe, but I'm sure it would not have yogurt in it (an exotic ingredient in 1960 Memphis),

• texanjana
    last year

My husband grew up on Durkee’s. I had never even heard of it until I met him. Then he got our kids hooked on it. One of them can‘t find it where he lives, so he gets a bottle in his Christmas stocking.

• Jilly
    last year

I detest Fed Ex. I hate finding out after ordering something that it’s going to be delivered (or not) by them.

In other news, I want to eat at your house.

• Arapaho-Rd
    last year

FedEx continually leaves our packages by the garage door, even in the rain. Will not walk the steps to leave on a covered porch like everyone else.

• Bunny
    last year

My only complaint with FedEx is that point of return options are limited.

• maddie260
    last year

I can’t stand fedex delivery! So many fedex delivery packages never arrive? They get lost in either Tracy or Sacramento, CA. I’d love to see those warehouses!!!!

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Not sure who else is aware, but I learned some of these companies can be very strict about how their drivers operate. They have GPS monitoring and can dictate their every move, timing them and even seeing that they don't make left turns, which might slow them down, I guess. They're given seconds to drop off packages and resume their routes.

We've never had any problems with the USPS here. And the only items I think I've ever had to sign for were electronic devices like new phones, TVs and my computer.

P.S. Just wanted to share - this just arrived at our door. From a Walmart pickup order I placed yesterday and picked up a little while ago. I didn't notice 1 item was shipping only - a 16 ounce jar of honey. They don't charge extra for the delivery, but it bothers me nonetheless. I guess I feel like it's a waste of resources. I threw the ruler on there to show the size of the box - the jar is only slightly taller than that ruler...

• palimpsest
    last year

I had something shipped by FedEx to a workplace that tracking said arrived 7/14. It was not there last Monday, so over the weekend I initiated a "lost or stolen" dispute on my credit card.

I walked into the office today (there Mondays only) and the box was there.

Now it is possible that it was delivered somewhere in the building on 7/14, but the tracking said it was delivered to that specific office. Since the office gets a number of boxes each day, they all come in under "Signature on File" and no one checks anything against any list or anything.