SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_la79

Reducing Humidity in a wooden cabin

Jim
last year
last modified: last year

We have a small wood frame cabin in the woods on piers in Northern PA. About 600 ft sq and 60 years old. There is no leaking piping in the space and roof drains discharge away from the cabin. Soil is well drained and the water table is over 25 feet deep. The cabin sits about 1 foot sloping to 3 feet above the ground creating an earthen crawl space. Maybe 20% of the crawl space is walled in for storage and the rest is one large open area except for piers. We could run a dehumidifier in the cabin but I thought addressing the potential moisture source would be a first step. Much of what I read and see online describe using various mil plastic liner for a vapor barrier but the examples they show are for homes that have masonry side walls that enclose the crawlspace.

1. Would laying sealed plastic sheets on the ground do much to noticeable reduce inside humidity and mustiness? I don't expect to result in a humidity free interior just reduce the need to constantly run a de-humidifier when we are away.
  2. Would enclosing and passively venting the crawl space be more effective than a vapor barrier?
  3. Do I need to do both?

Hoping to get some input from folks who have had experience with a similar situation.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments (10)