SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doriswk

Why are leaves on winter quash dying? Please ID Bug

doriswk
last year
last modified: last year

In spite of fighting off first hoards of cucumber beetles, then Japanese beetles and a few still unknown bugs (see bottom pic), our winter squash seemed to look reasonably healthy and some started producing fruit. I had sprayed several time with insecticidal soap and neem oil against the cucumber beetles, but gave up when I noticed that it did not do much.

Within the last 10 days various leaves and buds started looking wilted, and some very small fruit is dying off. Are these signs of over or under watering, or the effects of bug infestation, or both. I watered them daily during very warm and dry periods. Its all new triple mix soil on a newly established vegetable bed. Should I have fertilized more than the initial composted manure when planting, and a foliar application of sea vegetable fertilizer when the fruit appeared?

Please note that these pictures were taken one day after I had removed all sick leaves. What you see has happened within the following 24 hours.

A few of the plants that have wilting leaves also have produced one quite large fruit. Are these done with their work and packing it in, while others are trailing out and trying to produce more ?

We are in Toronto, Ontario area, zone 5.

What bug is this?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area