FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
eld6161

Just signed up for a Pilate Reformer class

eld6161
13 days ago

Anyone an advocate? Tell me the ins and outs!

Comments (34)

• sas95
    13 days ago

I have taken Pilates for years. It has been so helpful that I eventually bought my own reformer. The important thing is to find a good studio, with well trained instructors. There is a wide variety of styles of Pilates, some of which, in my opinion, are better than others.

Is your class a private lesson or a group class? I would recommend starting out with privates so that someone can really help you focus on your movements and develop good habits.

eld6161 thanked sas95
  • Related Discussions

I've noticed a lot of canning classes popping up in my area

Q

Comments (2)
    "That could be botulism in there.... " Yes, that is why I'm trying to get Johnny to go to one! He ate the rest of them and didn't get sick or die, but I'm afraid he will do it again this year! He did buy a pressure canner, I just hope he uses it! His Mom told him to boil the jars of beans for 4 hours.... She's my about my age, 57, and she probably learned, wrong stuff, from her parents. My parents also canned beans in a water bath, but they added about a cup of vinegar to each quart. They were basically pickled. But probably not completely safe. I did the same for years, then changed after I did some reading.
    ...See More

Does anyone do Pilates?

Q

Comments (7)
    Claire I've been doing the reformer (machine) Stott Pilates twice weekly for over two years in a class and I wouldn't be without it. I love it! Although I don't have any physical problems or ailments, I know that this is keeping me in good form, flexible and with strength in legs and arms at an age where these can become weaker when not used for active sports. I'm in a class of ladies aged over 50 and during the winter months when more British are living here we also have a man or two and some younger girls in our class. At the moment we are just three or four women so we have good attention from our trainer. When there are more than five we have a second trainer in the class. We work progressively and there's always a new exercise on the horizon that we can aspire to if we feel we can. I'm working on situps with legs in the air, holding on to the hand stirrups and am so pleased with the way it's progressing. of my instructor, Maria, doing an exercise. And below a small writeup and pics on my blog done a year ago. SharonCb Here is a link that might be useful: A writeup from my blog over a year ago
    ...See More

Pilates for physical therapy

Q

Comments (12)
    Elizabeth, you are so right. The chiropractor kept saying "we'll talk about that later" when I asked about exercises (he has a notebook in the waiting room filled with exercise pamphlets, so I know he has them). His "adjustments" gave me NO relief whatsoever. And when he cracked my back he'd say "this is going to help your lungs work better" or "this will make your stomach work better"... and I kept thinking "how about making my back work better???". Yesterday I did some intensive gardening all day. Last night I was very sore, but I needed to do the exercises as prescribed by my PT. I have 5 exercises (so far, after only 2 visits) and I was leary because I was so sore, but I did them all as recommended. When I was done, my body felt MUCH better, much less pain. Part of my treatment involves nightly writing of my feelings, then shredding the paper. It's about dealing with the issues that are causing my chronic back pain. The chiropractor made a big deal out of the slight degeneration in my spine and the curvature and neck stiffness.... the orthopedic doctor and the PT don't think it's such a big deal... they are teaching me how to relieve it on my own and to get to the ISSUES that are causing it.
    ...See More

Signs of my addiction will pop up soon...

Q

Comments (6)
    I haven't found anything I need at a garage sale in a LONG time! but I keep looking. Nothing more frustrating when you follow the signs, only to find out the sale was last week, last month, or last year! lol We were WAY out in the country and we followed some signs for a very LONG time, until I just got too freaked out! I was wondering if I was going to end up at some pschyo's house or horrors. So I finally turned around with the theme of "Deliverance" playing in my mind! lol
    ...See More
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

I am going to a studio one town over. I'm not one for traveling too far to get to gym.

Since the pandemic, I've kept up my own routine of weights and floor exercise. And to my credit, I I'm more toned doing my day schedule at home than I ever going to gym.

But......my abs are lacking.

Running, I like that this can help with balance. Falling or tripping at my age result ng term for injuries. I tore an ankle tendon missing just one step on a staircase! Took two years to heal, and was painful in the process.

I asked about being able to use the reformer on my own, and you can't. I guess that is understood when going studio

Sas how many days do you use yours?

• sas95
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

Very curious as to what studio... I went to one just South of you for years. use mine around 4x week. There is no denying it's great for the abs!

eld6161 thanked sas95
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    13 days ago

It's a Club Pilates.

• sas95
    12 days ago

I have to tell you Club Pilates are awful, in my opinion. For the most part, poorly trained teachers and the classes are way too big for anyone to be correcting you well. I have taken a few free classes at various locations, and it's not "real" pilates, IMO.

eld6161 thanked sas95
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Yikes. The classes have 12 people. Is that considered a lot? How is it not real? You are on the machine doing a workout that is supposed to be Pilates. Why would they create a whole program that isn't real?

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    12 days ago

Why would they create a whole program that isn't real?

Money.

As someone who did ballet for many, many years, form matters, not just for looks, but for the sake of not injuring yourself.

With Pilates, you pay for well trained teachers and personal attention. I am a Barre Method gal. Pilates is too intimidating for me.

• whatsayyou18
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I've been taking reformer Pilates classes for years and have my own reformer. It's the only exercise class I've ever truly enjoyed. I go to a very small studio and for the past couple of years have worked out exclusively with the owner. At one time, before acquiring my own reformer, I wanted to get in another session each week but she didn't have space for me so I signed up with Club Pilates. I agree that with 12 attendees it is difficult for the instructors to observe and make necessary individual corrections. My instructor watches like a hawk and makes necessary corrections (she sounds exactly like running's instructor and not what I experienced at CP). Another difference between the two is that with the small studio I pay for six classes but if I need to miss a week I don't pay for a class I miss unlike CP. CP is less $$$ than my private studio though. I didn't find CP terrible and if they were the only game in town I would make it work because it's that important to me. Some of their instructors are better qualified than others. You can ask about the individual instructor's qualifications and narrow down your preferences.

I will always, until I'm physically unable, continue with reformer Pilates. There are so many benefits I appreciate especially as I age. I can do things most women my age are not able to do and I attribute my strength, stamina and trim figure in large part to reformer Pilates. A good friend, who began classes a few years after I started, often echoes my feelings about it. Most of the clients at the studio have been attending for years. She even has one couple in their early 90's who have attended two or three times per week for years; they still live in their own home, drive, and are completely independent. My goal is to be them when I grow up. ;)

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    12 days ago

Maybe the studio near you is great. check reviews.

eld6161 thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Good idea.

• texanjana
    12 days ago

I have been doing Pilates reformer for almost four years. I love it and have gotten so much stronger. I go to a very small studio with just a few reformers. For me, it was very important to learn correct form, and I think the small studio has been good for me from that perspective. If private sessions are an option for you, I would do those to start until you feel comfortable with the equipment. Hope you like it!

eld6161 thanked texanjana
  • sas95
    12 days ago

12 people is insane for a reformer class. I have taken reformer classes of 5, and that is stretching it. You will not learn good form there. If you want to learn Pilates there are good studios near you. This is not one of them. Other studios are more expensive, but Club Pilates is cheap for a reason.

I know a lot about Club Pilates and am hooked in with the Pilates community in our area, eld. Am happy to elaborate on what their program is vs. "Real Pilates." If you are interested feel free to message me.

eld6161 thanked sas95
  • jmck_nc
    12 days ago

I have done Pilates for a couple of years in a smaller local studio. Recently a favorite teacher left and was replaced with a classically trained instructor. We joke now about how "remember when we didn't sweat in Pilates?". Those days are gone and now that I am learning proper form, pacing, transitions, and progressions the difference is amazing. One thing is NOT like the other. I enjoyed the previous instructor and classes very much but this is next level and I am seeing great changes in my body.

Several years before that, I went to an intro class at a Club Pilates and thought it was not for me. I know several people who are very happy with Club Pilates, but I agree that the large classes make it difficult to get the attention you need as a beginner.

eld6161 thanked jmck_nc
  • OutsidePlaying
    12 days ago

I have been doing various forms of Pilates with the same instructor for years. I love it and agree with everything runninginplace said. I will be 74 in a few weeks and my balance, strength and overall well-being are important to me.

A good instructor is key. I am not familiar with Club Pilates but 12 reformers sounds like a lot for one instructor to handle. Form is key, and my instructor is always correcting each of us slightly if we are off. This is very important as a beginner. My instructor now has a private studio and we have 5. I also take classes on the Pilates chair and yoga wall. Our ‘aerobic reformer’ class often includes some work on the wall for strength and balance.

Give it a try but do not be discouraged and do try another instructor in a smaller environment if you can.

• nicole___
    12 days ago

I've NEVER done a pilates class, seen a studio....nada...nothing. Based on THIS thread...I paid $29 for a drop in class at Club Pilates. The membership for three months....$89 a month is CHEAP compared to a one-on-one class. I realize it has to be done right....but I hate being told-what-to-do every single minute....watched and given that much attention.....so a little bad form is better than NOT getting the benefit of pilates. Which....I think I need. I need better balance...more twisting...more flexibility....

I like being on an open schedule...book a class if I feel like it type of environment. Once I'm an expert....maybe in 10 years....I might want more exclusivity....a personal trainer situation. I see there's a house with a gym in the basement...she takes two students at a time.

Wish me luck! In two hours.... I try pilates for the first time!

eld6161 thanked nicole___
  • Sueb20
    12 days ago

LOL I also just signed up for an intro session at a local small pilates studio.

eld6161 thanked Sueb20
  • gsciencechick
    11 days ago

I did mat Pilates before I moved here. I swear it helped me look great for my wedding. I wanted to start again before the lockdown, but I'd only feel comfortable now in a one-on-one setting vs. a group indoors. I've never tried the reformer. But I've been doing some mat moves after my Zumba classes, so I'm working to get back into it.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I would prefer mat classes but they are no longer in favor unfortunately.

• deegw
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I had whiplash years ago and find that even simple Pilates moves on a mat aggravate my neck. The same thing happens with many ab exercises.

Do you Pilates veterans think the neck issues are a form mistake on my part?

eld6161 thanked deegw
  • jmck_nc
    11 days ago

My studio is offering mat classes and I have found a combination of mat and reformer compliment each other well. The mat classes are TOUGH because you don't have the machine resistance helping you with the moves. But I feel like I'm stronger on the reformer having done the mat classes. Also, mat can be done anywhere and I learned enough so that I kept doing my mat sequence daily while away on vacation. My teacher also gave me a cheat sheet to help me remember. I'd love to hear how eld and nicole, and SueB like their trials!

eld6161 thanked jmck_nc
  • gsciencechick
    11 days ago

I need to keep this as my inspiration picture. My back never looked so good!

eld6161 thanked gsciencechick
  • jmck_nc
    11 days ago

dee, I think if you had good instruction in proper form it would help. You should not be using your neck to lift your head, but your abs. The first thing this new instructor worked on with me was the proper way to bring my knees to my chest using abs and raise shoulders off floor using abs. I still do it wrong all the time, but I know how to correct when she calls me out.

• nicole___
    11 days ago

OK...weeeeeeell.....not so much. Not going back.

• eld6161
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Nicole, please share.

• nicole___
    11 days ago

@eld6161....Pre covid, before I moved: I went to yoga class. (A beautiful gym with unlimited classes of ALL kinds)... two locations. Silver Sneakers is FREE. I paid $25 a month!) It was very aerobic. Sun salutations/sit-ups/push ups, we sweated. At the end, savasana, the instructor went around to each of us, giving us ALL neck and shoulder massages with lavender oil on her hands....that's how she ended her class. Shear bliss!

*****At the end of the Pilates beginners class, $29/12 stations in the room/some classes were booked solid, yes I realize there are other levels, I'd not worked anything or stretched anything out. But, I was then familiar with the equipment. We were handed alcohol wipes and told to wipe down the equipment. I'm paying to be there. I am not an employee.

I have so many OTHER options. My house has a full gym. 8 miles of wooded trails outside my front door. Running, Mtn biking, road biking, walking with leg weights. Beautiful scenery with antelope, hooting owls, blue birds, ponds with cat tails & turtles....

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 days ago

Hmm, I think that has become protocol. Equipment is cleaned, but really the only way to clean after each user is for the user to do it. My spin class works that way; there are wipe dispensers all around and the protocol is everyone cleans off their bike when they are done.

And what about the class itself tho?

I took mat Pilates and did not care for it. I had to look up "reformer Pilates."

• nicole___
    11 days ago

And what about the class itself tho?

You put your foot in a loop and swirl in a circle, pressure from a spring gives you resistance. Or...lay on your back, put a ball between your knees and pump a bar attached to a spring. The people were nice...the music was current/I like that....

I guess my expectation is...after I work out...I can eat a piece of cheesecake. 😊

• eld6161
    Original Author
    11 days ago

I am hoping my class is better. I do intro next Thursday.

• Trailrunner Zone 7a VA
    11 days ago

Joe Pilates based his work on three principles: Breath, whole-body health and whole-body commitment; with the whole-body encompassing mind, body and spirit.

It is in the honoring of the Pilates Principles that the depth of the work is achieved. These Principles are traditionally cited as:

• Breath
    • Concentration
    • Centring
    • Control
    • Precision
    • Flow

I copied the above from an article about Joe and his wife Clara. I have tried Pilates with the reformer in a very small class with an excellent hands on instructor. I went to 6 classes.

I have been lifting free weights since 1982. I have been a runner since 1978 and cyclist since 1990's.All that is to explain why I didn't find the Pilates something I wanted to continue as a form of fitness. I have to have flexibility and accessibility . I need the freedom to pursue my exercise at will and it needs to be inexpensive. Admittedly the cycling can be expensive but one of my best bikes was my Schwinn for $250 that I bought in Manhattan in 2007 and rode with the NY cycling club .

I was impressed with the instructor I had in FL for Pilates. The Reformers were in excellent condition and she was very careful to guide the 3 of us in the class individually .

The principles I cited above are exactly what I follow with all my physical fitness activities. Each of them is imperative to get the best out of any exercise safely and with the most physical benefit.

I don't ever want to be dependent on a gym or expensive equipment or an instructor at this stage of my experience. YMMV. Everyone has different goals and needs. That's the key. Find what works best for you and is safe and makes you feel successful and fit. c

eld6161 thanked Trailrunner Zone 7a VA
  • eld6161
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you Trail. I agree. I do my own routine which include weights 3 times a week. I walk at least 10,000 steps per day.

For me, Pilates would be a supplement. I am missing the camaraderie of group classes.

I have another gym option that does a few Pilate classes a week, but it's called Burn Pilate.

Yikes. But since it is a mat class, which is really what I want, I will also check it out.

• Trailrunner Zone 7a VA
    11 days ago

@eld6161 I never liked classes and then when I moved to Lexington I found a different vibe and have liked classes ever since !! Nice to find that spark within me. I'm not a flexible person in many ways :) It has helped me grow in ways I needed to learn. I have been in yoga classes now since 2016 and we DH and I go 3x a week. I also got DH to start a circuit class at the gym . Both places yoga and circuit are walking distance in the next block from our home which makes it even more wonderful and accessible and they are Sliver Sneakers assoc. so we are free !! No excuses !! The circuit class is free weights and she also adds in all kinds of other equipment , whatever suits her fancy that day. She is an excellent teacher and has adaptations for anyone's special needs. I use 30# dumb bells for chest press and some others use 5#. It's all good !! I hope you find the best experience !! Admire you for the 10,000 steps !! c

• runninginplace
    11 days ago

I totally agree with Trailrunner's point that exercise is individual and what works for one person can be completely unhelpful for someone else.

With respect (honestly) Nicole it doesn't sound like Pilates is an exercise that works for you at this point. It's not about a teacher watching you like a hawk, it's having a knowledgeable instructor committed to making sure you get the best out of an exercise and don't hurt yourself. Swirling your feet is not about your feet at all; it's an exercise to move the straps in your reformer using your core. Everyone cheerfully grabs sanitizer and a hand towel at the end of the session to leave their reformer ready for the next student simply as a courtesy to others. And so on

Pilates is definitely best suited for people who want to 'practice' it in the sense of it being a regular part of a fitness routine that builds consistently based on one's efforts at every group or private class.

Also it's a somewhat unique physical exercise program in my experience in the sense that EVERYONE is always practicing to get better including good instructors. Every teacher in the studio I attend including the owner is constantly taking Pilates classes and attending training seminars. Obviously that's also reflective of my owner's leadership style but it's fairly consistent in my experience-I've never had an instructor who wasn't also constantly learning more him- or herself

Kudos for trying it out, we learn that way what we love and what we don't!

eld6161 thanked runninginplace
  • jmck_nc
    11 days ago

I agree that it is not for everyone. I felt the same way as Nicole when I went to a Club Pilates introductory class...hated it. But, I tried it again under different circumstances and at a different point in my life and voila! I'm addicted! There is no "right way to exercise", only the way you will do it consistently and hopefully enjoy it!

eld6161 thanked jmck_nc