SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mswilloughby

Laundry chemistry: enzymes, phosphates, and oxi, oh my!

TBL from CT
last year

I don't know why I'm obsessed with all the laundry detergent posts, but I am, and I would like some opinions and facts about the chemistry. I suppose, in the end, I would like to thoughtfully amend detergents when my laundry seems to need a boost. I have various detergents, STPP, Oxiclean White Revive, and Borax (moderately hard water, old LG FL). Clothing is rarely super dirty, towels and sheets are all white and get dull, and white terry cleaning cloths are used daily for the kitchen and get dingy. I prefer to rarely use chlorine bleach as it seems pretty harsh on fabric.

My understanding is that STPP binds hardness and helps prevent redeposit of dirt on fabric, and that Oxiclean White Revive is a good oxygen bleach and will help whiten whites. Please add to this and correct me if I've misunderstood. What is the role of enzymes, and how do I know if my various detergents have 'enough'? Is there any product to add enzymes to the laundry process if it's not in the detergent? Biz?

Ultimately, if I use any generic detergent, and add STPP, Oxi, Biz, and/or something you suggest, is it comparable to using a highly rated brand name detergent?

Comments (3)