SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tania_faruqi

how to salvage slightly mauve kitchen cabinet color?

Mctania
last year
last modified: last year

Recently got a home with purpley stone floors in the kitchen. I knew we weren’t going to be changing the floors anytime soon so I chose a complimentary taupe color for the cabinets to make it seem more intentional. However now that everything is painted I’m worried it’s too purpley/girly. What do you guys think about how it came out and what do you suggest I do to accessorize/color coordinate to make the color look better or more neutral?

Notes: We have plans to lighten up the stain on the beams. There are two can lights over the sink and two by the fridge but the bulbs are out. Im using natural light in this pic. I do want to change the pendant and am looking for your best, brightest but warm light recs. The yellow curtain and soap dispensers came with the house and will be removed.

Comments (95)

• everdebz
    last year

Entry idea - the dark navy might be a nice repeat, an echo of the dark doors.

Nourison Persian Rectangle 5'3" X 7'3" Area Rugs In Pink Flame 099446454683 · More Info

Loloi LOREN Traditional Rugs · More Info

• dan1888
    last year

Lots of workarounds. But there are times when replacement is the course to choose. So, area rugs until you can change the floor and repaint or replace the cabinets.

• Related Discussions

Can my kitchen floors be salvaged?

Q

Comments (6)
    Some things Ive been contemplating as Im going thru same process w my old fir with same old black blotches and water stains: Red or rust (or any color) paint applied to floor (sanded or rubbed off strategically so it looks reminiscent of worn floor and so grain is still visible The general finishes gel stains / milk paints/ glazes look like they could achieve same effect or maybe nicer but haven't yet experimented with them. Would need clear top coat over. Dark gray or charcoal colored stain - poly over. If you were to stain or color the wood, I like that the diagonal wood pattern would continue into the kitchen, which is pretty unusual (at least around here - never seen that before). OTOH - people who are buying a modest but well-renovated house would probably expect and be happy with vinyl - some might worry that they would have to baby a wood floor and f reak out if anything spills.
    ...See More

Cabinet color question & salvaging old cabinets for reno

Q

Comments (36)
    amberm145, that would be one of my most thrilling points! Traditional, flesh eating strippers don't do anything with stain. However.... [insert drum roll] If you put a coat of Citristrip on your stripped wood, it will such the stain right out of the grain. See my pictures above. And we're talking a very dark, 1920s door with tons of paint and clear coats on it. and I have not sanded a speck on the 15 doors I've worked on, nor the kitchen cabinets I've done, other than to brush off the dried Citristrip as I mentioned above. The golden oak cabs I did got very light natural wood, too. I was able to ceruse them with a vinegar (I choose ume plum vinegar, just because I had it) and then a very thinned wash of Varathane 'Sunbleached'. I wanted them to stay light. I love that I don't have to sand.
    ...See More

Start of 'Salvaged' Kitchen remodel...

Q

Comments (149)
    mary_ruth, thank you, I'm sorry I haven't replied sooner. I mentioned that I'd like to make curtains to hide the baking supplies in the glass cabinets. I did another budget blitz by using wooden dowels (Restore, 10 cents each) and a 6yd curtain panel from a clearance outlet ($5.00) Total: $5.80. It's a long, thin 'swaggy' type, in a silky, iridescent green--very close to the green cabinet color. Last year I used a small piece of the panel to make toss pillows for the window seats. I use another of the $5.00 panels for a table cloth for large gatherings--it covers three 6ft long tables, with white sheets underneath for the drop. LOL, I'm getting my money's worth of that bargain! I posted these on a thread in the Kitchens forum, along with the observation that I kinda miss seeing the jumble behind the glass. :[
    ...See More

Help me salvage parts of this kitchen

Q

Comments (29)
    Your cabinets appear to be Maple, not Oak. Or even a natural cherry. They are gorgeous and well suited to your vision. Natural wood is becoming more and more popular so you are actually well ahead of the “trend.” The stone surrounding your little fireplace is gorgeous. Soapstone would be a perfect countertop and would coordinate well with your black appliances. It is a “soft” look, vs. the hard look of granite. You might look into leathered countertops to soften their shiny surface. What a beautiful kitchen with much potential! Keep us posted!!!
    ...See More
  • Lori Sawaya
    last year

What part of the color wheel helps neutralize a color or undertone?

Do you know the cabinet paint color name and number?

To be strategic about it, we need the factual hue family so we know exactly what kind of pinkness there is to neutralize.

For example, this color could be a near neutral from the purple, red-purple or red hue family. It's hard to tell for sure online.

If the cabinets are red-purple hue family and you add elements from the Purple hue family, for example, it's not going to be as effective.

On the other hand, if you know what the parent and all tints, tones and shades in the cabinet's hue family look like, you know exactly what colors to shop for.

• Mctania
    Original Author
    last year

It was Hampshire taupe by Benjamin Moore!

• Mctania
    Original Author
    last year

What is everyone’s Rec for the repaint color to make the place lighter and more neutral but still not just a boring stark white

• palimpsest
    last year

I think this thread is interesting, and is almost an example of groupthink: "mode of thinking in which individual members of small cohesive groups tend to accept a viewpoint or conclusion that represents a perceived group consensus, whether or not the group members believe it to be valid, correct, or optimal."

Not exactly but almost.

There are regularly posts about how to correct or compensate for colors or finishes that do not go to together--mismatches, clashes -- of new cabinets or countertops, backsplashes or floors--where something which might be expensive or difficult to change just doesn't look right. There's a thread going on right now where the old floor is the culprit and there are plans to replace it later on, but until then...what to do.

This thread is pretty much being treated as if it's exactly the same, but really it's not.

In this case I think there is a general consensus that the cabinet color works with the floor color...but because the color is a particular color, or almost a particular color ("purple"), that there is something the matter with the color, inherently. It seems to not matter as much that it actually does go with the floor--and since it goes with the floor and the floor was there first--now, maybe it's the floor that has to be compensated for.

It's also interesting that a color that is almost gray or almost beige really is being assigned a Gender just because it has a hint of purple in it, as if it is bright purple we are looking at, not gray.

The color vs. gender hang-up is very recent, and most people would not believe the guidelines of 100 years ago if they saw it in print from multiple sources.

In 1918, pink was recommended for boys and blue for girls because pink was a "stronger" color.

(Alternately pink was for brunet(te)s, blue for blond(e)s or blue-eyed children of either gender)

In 1927, Filene's, Best, Halle's and Marshall Fields all recommended pink clothing for boys, and blue for girls as reported by Time Magazine. It was not until after WWII that the pink and blue switched.

Here are a number of kitchens (none American) in varying shades of mauve or purple. Maybe only British females live in these house. Certainly not American he-men.

One of my design instructors came back from Italy (c. 1970s) wanting a purple kitchen, having seen some very contemporary purple kitchens there. His kitchen ended up orange. He could not get anyone to fabricate purple kitchen cabinets for him even though he was willing to pay for it.

• Mctania
    Original Author
    last year

I love these inspos!!! Going to try and Incorporate them and see what I can do with the floors. As for the gender assignment - it really only came into my mind after I found out that Hampshire Taupe by BM has been a popular shade for nursery rooms for baby girls and then that kinda got stuck in my head.

• palimpsest
    last year

Try BM Silver Satin or Seed Pearl.

It's not just you, the gender thing has gotten pretty rigid about color and purple of any tint or shade is a "girl color".

There is some theory that the almost completely gender neutral clothing of the 1960s and 1970s (apparently no pink clothing --or casual clothing anyway--in the Sears Roebuck catalog for several seasons),left the women who grew up in that area feeling a bit deprived of feminine things as children (since gender neutral clothing is essentially by default masculine--avoiding anything with any hint of 'girly'). So things went crazy starting in the 1980s with pepto bismol pink everything for girls--even if it was a set of tools or a car. And if anything I think that created a backlash. And probably intensified because it was (and still is) a particularly Harsh shade of pink.

• everdebz
    last year

I check on the paint website - they suggest coordinating colors. It could help to do that.

• Mctania
    Original Author
    last year

With the lights on. Tried to adjust the color to be more accurate with the in person view

• Mctania
    Original Author
    last year

I feel that the website underestimates how mauve the color is bc it calls it a versatile griege and gives brown and rust toned compliments. The photos of the color don’t match how it looks in person as far as the BM website goes

• spagano
    last year

I have to say, it's not bad. Definitely lighten the beams and floating shelves. I think we have the same countertop :) Your idea of cream or lighter curtiains is great. Switch out the center light to a ceiling fixture. Your black trim thoughout the house is lovely, you're doing a great job. I've always hated the "live with it" saying but found it to be helpful. Once you've spend a year or two in a space you really know what you like, don't like, need, want to change, etc. Have fun!

Simple linen tier...

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

My take on this is that it's not the cabinet color that's the problem, it's the flooring. If you can't replace it right away, then get an indoor-outdoor rug that covers it completely. I'd get one that mimics sisal or seagrass, and then see how that affects the overall palette in the room. My guess is that the cabinets will look way less purple/mauve. From looking at my fan deck, Hampshire Taupe looks like a nice neutral greige. It's in the yellow-red hue family (hue angle 72 degrees) and I'd bet that it's the flooring that is making the cabinets looks weirdly purple to you. If that were my historic home, I'd make it a priority to change out the tile floor for something more classic, like oak or even Marmoleum.

• palimpsest
    last year

Out of curiosity what material is the floor, and do you know the brand?

• PRO
    last year

I would guess that it's a porcelain or ceramic tile made to imitate slate. Maybe the OP can confirm or refute my guess.

• Mctania
    Original Author
    last year

Not sure we didn’t receive any info on the type of floor! If we change the floor I honestly would repaint my cabinets anyway bc I only chose that color to complement the floor otherwise it’s not really my dream kitchen color

• palimpsest
    last year

Is it vinyl or ceramic? Sheet or tiles?

• Mctania
    Original Author
    last year

It looks like true stone tiles honestly

• Mctania
    Original Author
    last year

Or actually maybe the ceramic imitation like Diana mentioned

• Mctania
    Original Author
    last year

Found this pic online of this same paint color in kitchen cabs:

• PRO
    last year

If that's the same color cabinetry, then you can see how much better it looks with a natural medium-toned wood floor. That's a beautiful kitchen and yours could be just as nice!

• grapefruit1_ar
    last year

I think that you have done a remarkable job of working with the floor. If and when you replace it I would continue the same wood flooring that is in the adjoining rooms. It will create a cohesive look in your gorgeous home !

• lynzy1
    last year

• apple_pie_order
    last year

Have the floor professionally cleaned and sealed if it wasn't done by the seller. The floor may be a lot lighter after cleaning. Then try bulbs with color temperature 3500-4000K. Bring home several kinds, try them out, and return those you don't like. For the central light fixture, pick one that has at least three bulbs in order to get good overall lighting. You can supplement with additional task lighting (if needed) after replacing the burned out bulbs in the can lights.

• rebunky
    last year

I just looked up the BM Hampshire Taupe. I see it has some of the pinkish undertones, but it seems to be not as purple as your cabinets are.

I understand you tinted the last photo to match what you really see in real life.

I know lighting can play a big roll and it is crazy how it can change the paint on different walls even. But I wondered, is it possible the paint store messed up while mixing the paint?

Here are some bm hampshire taupe photos on top of your photo for comparison.

This photo I believe was not tinted. Cabs still seems a bit more purple. I just thought maybe it was possible the paint was mixed wrong.

I would at least get a new sample of the color and make sure it does the same thing. If you can prove it was off, you can at least get your money back on the paint.

That happened to my MIL when repainting her house. She bought some paint for homes’ exterior in the same exact light sage green it already was. They had the same formula. While she was gone for the day, she let the painters that she hired go to work. I guess she didn’t notice the tiny dot on the 5 gallon bucket was off.

Well you know where this is going. When she got home, no joke, it was this awful florescent lime green! They had done 3/4 of the house already. All but the back side that didn’t show. She was livid that they didn’t call her and say, “Are you sure this is the right color?“. They said, ”Hay lady, we’re just the painters. It isn’t our job to question the homeowners color choice.“ They were right of course, but it would have been nice if they gave her a heads up. Her fault though for not looked at the color first.

She got her money back from the paint store since they mixed it wrong, but she couldn’t not pay the painters for their work. So she just let them finish up in the neon green instead of paying them more $ to redo it. Well, you can see her house on the hill from miles away! Noone ever gets lost trying to find her house! 😂

• User
    last year

Is this actual BM hampshire taupe or another brand color matched to BM Hampshire taupe? I feel like alot of Benjamin Moore colors don’t look the same in another brand

• Mctania
    Original Author
    last year

It is truly Benjamin Moore paint which is why I chose this color - I was actually originally into Armadillo by Behr which i thought was almost a perfect match to this color. This is a photo of the sample paper from BM and my cabinet and you can see they are a perfect match. It just seems the website is misleading. :(

• Mctania
    Original Author
    last year

Honestly in afternoon light the color looks decent but in that north facing kitchen it is usually a cool toned, dark space during most of the day so it makes it look more purple than taupe. I will try the warm lighting trick

• palimpsest
    last year

Does it look like one of the paint colors on the swatch at the bottom is the color in this room? This is my old LR. Actual blue shades and tints skewed lavender in this room. I had to paint it a tint of teal to end up with pale blue. Part of it is your ambient light.

• Lori Sawaya
    last year

Hampshire Taupe is a low-chroma, near neutral from the Yellow-Red hue family.

It falls in the can shift purple zone of color space.

This explains why it looks decent [less purple] in the stronger, fuller spectrum afternoon light but shifts purplish when the light wanes, weakens in quantity and wavelengths to dim.

Also explains why some people believe it has a "purple undertone" while others see a warm neutral with no hue bias.

If undertones were a true thing, then everyone would get a sense of purple from Hampshire Taupe across the board, all the time.

But the idea of undertones are not true facts and the theory doesn't explain why color appearance changes with the light.

Hue Family, on the other hand, not only explains WHY color perception of Hampshire Taupe changes, it lets you know that near neutrals from this region of the color wheel have the potential to flash, shift, or be purple. No one likes surprises when it comes to paint colors.

• Mctania
    Original Author
    last year

So what can I do to mimic brighter afternoon light all day round? What’s the brightest warmest lighting fixture 😂 a semi flush?

• everdebz
    last year

Secondary colors of purple, orange, green have an affinity with each other.

They suggested rust, which is a muted orange... so accessories that are more, or less neutral, might work with orange base.

Same with 'secondary' green, in that muted green and/or livelier green [if you like that] can work.... I think I have this right....

are you buying another curtain?!

• everdebz
    last year

As to natural materials like jute, bamboo, grass, etc.... some are earthy clay brown, which seems used with black alot in fabrics.... maybe a touch of that?

• Mctania
    Original Author
    last year

Yes I am and I was going to go with something light and neutral just bc the room is so dark. All my kitchen accessories right now are all warm browns, natural woods, creams, and neutrals. I can bring in other secondary colors too

• everdebz
    last year

Buy things you like. Maybe a light you need anyway, that is bright, and dimmable...

your ceilings are 8' high?

this idk - Includes (2) 9-1/2" and (2) 4-3/4" down rods. Dimensions Height: 4-1/4" Width: 39-3/16" Depth: 22-7/16"

Westinghouse 6368800 Zaro 6 Light 22"W Chandelier - Iron · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

'cool' - maybe idk you'd like this better than current one.

It's like this century's basic fluorescent lighting, plain with no design to it... ? unfortunately, it's high gloss.

Craftmade 45623-LED Horizon 3 Arm 34" LED Chandelier - Chrome · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Or put an earring on it! ;) D 28" / H 14"

ET2 Lighting E12515-92PN Revolution - 5 Light Chandelier · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

If ya only had recessed lighting - this might be 'cool' some where-

Alina Pendant in Chrome with Smoke, Monopoint, 120V · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Nordic Single Pendant, White · More Info

Nordic 1-Light Pendant · More Info

• Lori Sawaya
    last year

Yep. ^ What everdebz said.

• everdebz
    last year

Not copper, but close, softer:

CHLOE Lighting Ironclad Contemporary 1-Light Matt Rose Gold Mini Pendant · More Info

York Wallcoverings Bohemian Luxe BO6641 Feather and Fringe Wallpaper Pink · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

I can delete these -

warehouse they call it - mottled imperfect good - NOT a yellow-gold bronze.

1-Light Warehouse Shade Pendant in Old Bronze · More Info

Handcrafted Whitner Hanging Lamp, Vintage Cream · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

sink?

not navy blue, but soft

Duncan 3-Light Vanity, Pewter, Seafoam · More Info

Sunlite Baby Blu Nova Ceiling Pendant Light Fixtures Medium-E26 Base · More Info

Malibu Flush Mount, 3-Light, Blue, 15"W (16-1163BL 504X5XW) · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Purple and aqua, softly muted have romantic charm.

Metal Chandelier With Aqua Wood Beads · More Info

Schumacher Ming Cherry Blossom Printed Wallpaper in Aqua · More Info

Katia Boho Wood Beaded Chandelier Empire Ceiling Light in Gray & Blue · More Info

• happyleg
    last year

No to gold knobs. Change out the curtain no yellow. Add black roman shade or cream/ivory or gray.It's not girly. Change bulbs to cool 35k-40k.

• everdebz
    last year

called transitional, even a bit French country.... 18 x 9" H

Brushed Nickel French Country, Floral, Transitional, Semi Flush · More Info

Non-Woven Floral Wallpaper - DW30417141 Van Gogh Wallpaper, Roll · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

any chance you'll get recessed lighting? and ones you find stylish - just idea:

Fulton 1-Light Sconce, Smoked Glass, Antique Copper · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Building around the area -- with accent wall in dining room?

doesn't help with paint... but keep hope that you can... if powder room, use those neutrals some more.

Dard Teal Tulip Ogee Wallpaper Bolt · More Info

Seabrook wallpaper in Green, Neutrals, Purple, Wine LG90307 · More Info

Mythic Brown Floral Wallpaper, Sample · More Info

Deny Designs Sharon Turner Lezat Dapple Wallpaper, Beige, 2'x10' · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Save those handles, if not used, for bathroom 'glam' ?

Mythic Light Gray Floral Wallpaper, Sample · More Info

• Kendrah
    last year

Cabinet color seems fine. I like it. I just think that floor is a lot to look at. Do they make floor paint that you can change the floor color? Can you lay a new floor on top of it for not too much $? What happens if you put a runner in front of the oven or the sink - does that change the look of things? Do what you can to bring the eye upwards. Sounds like you are doing so with lighting already.