SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Wicking for plant watering: any tips?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
last year
last modified: last year

I ordered some wicking cord which is arriving today. It is ¼” thick, which is the thickest I could find.

The reason for trying this, is I have bought some tall skinny pots. They are very beautiful, but I see some issues. Most of my plants spend summer outdoors, and most of the year as houseplants. So I do need to be able to pick them up and haul them in and out. They DO all have drainage holes.

Normally when I have a large heavy ceramic pot, I fill the bottom with empty plastic containers so I don’t need to fill the whole thing with heavy soil. But that means when the water drains out to their saucers, they can’t pull water back up like a plant with all potting soil in the pot can. So I find the plant can be dry on top and wilting; while it is sitting in a saucer of water that can go nowhere.

I got a suggestion online to use a pool noodle cut up as filler in the bottom. That’s a great idea for filler, but I would still have the same issue with it not being able to pull water back up from the saucer.

My plan is to transplant the plant into an inner plastic container (at least for those where I can FIND one that fits the decorative outer pot and is big enough to allow for growth. Where I can’t find a plastic pot that fits I will have to devise something else.)

So, I need to have the wicking cord running down the center of the ceramic pot, past the cut-up pool noodle, through the drainage hole and into the saucer. On the top end, I need to have the cord running into the plastic pot liner.

That’s the general idea. What else do I need to know? Should I use a single cord? Double or triple it, since the pots are large? At the top end, do I just loop it into the plastic pot’s dra

inage holes? Or actually run it into the soil?

Thanks for your help. If I screw it up, doing it over will be a real pain.

Comments (5)

Sponsored