FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
rosecanadian

Roses Love Sunshine Seasonal Thread

rosecanadian
9 days ago

Roses, love Sunshine, (BUT NOT SCREAMING HEAT)

Violets love dew. (AS IF WE GET ANY MOISTURE)

Angels love heaven (WE CAN PRAY FOR RAIN...WILL IT COME? Nooooo)

And so I love you (YES, WE LOVE OUR ROSES....no matter what)

(Song by Nana Mouskouri (as far as I know))

I know we're all suffering with this horrid heat, but at least we have a great community here. :) :)

Comments (165)

• berrypiez6b
    3 days ago

I love your Queen Margareth !!!

rosecanadian thanked berrypiez6b
  • berrypiez6b
    3 days ago

Orchid Romance is at Northland . They also have a really cute new mini Midnight Fire.

rosecanadian thanked berrypiez6b
  • Related Discussions

2013 rose season/2014 rose season

Q

Comments (13)
    I had similar experiences. Like Seil I had a hard winter, lots of dieback, too much rain and cloud cover, so much BS, but some spurts of great roses blooming. Sara, last year I had more roses and could cut a bouquet whenever, not this year, about 1/3 less blooms. However, right now the bushes are looking good with chance of frost tonight. I plan on cutting this evening! I do think I had more fun growing and enjoying my roses this year than in the past.
    ...See More

San Diego Sunshine Poolbuild -- Thread 2

Q

Comments (85)
    Hi Katherine, Your pool is gorgeous! I have no idea if you're still monitoring this, but I came across your post while searching for information about installing a fastlane in a niche for our pool installation. Our PB has never installed a fastlane before and they are unsure about how to cover it inside the niche. Do you have any information about how this was done with yours, and what the cost of the cover might have been? The niche and supports have been built in our pool, and the PB says they can have a stainless steel person create a cover for the niche, but they will charge us $1000 just for the cover. Seems a little high to us! Any information you can provide would be very helpful! We're REALLY far away though - in North Carolina! Hope you're still enjoying your beautiful pool.
    ...See More

FALL is upon us... "seasonal thread"... PART 2

Q

Comments (197)
    Diane, Thank you for your nice comment. I love love the English language ( all languages really). It has been such a wonderful thing to be able to learn to communicate in English. I am going to take some time to post today as I am just on call at work and studying coagulation. It is good to have some days to just seat and catch up with my studies. I have heard path boards are brutal. My parents came to the US when I was 7. Since the political climate in Cuba is so tense it took several years for the legal paperwork to go through, and I was able to come here to start high school at 15. It sure was a shock when a week later my mom dropped me off at a over 3k student school in Miami, Florida. I still remember my first classroom number (245), because I had to ask a girl on the hallway how to get there. Of course I found one of the very few kids in the school who wasn’t bilingual so she couldn’t understand me. I knew how to count to 10 so I tried again ( two, four, fife “with an f” ;) and she kindly showed me the way. Those were interesting times to say the least. My mom who was a hairstylist at the time, drove me to school every day, then went to work until 2. Then took me home and returned to work.This is some feat in Miami traffic. My dad took care of taking me to Saturdays extra English and reading lessons as well. My parents wanted me to attend a good school with lots of advanced classes, and they made a huge sacrifice so I could have all the opportunities only this country offers. I am so grateful to them for supporting me. I feel so bad about your poor little Dianela now. I hope she ended up doing well in school even after all of those set backs. Having parents that care is such a critical thing for children of any age. I am glad she had your daughter as a friend to positively influence her. I understand you so much, as a young 20 something my friends would call me at 11pm when they were heading to the nightclubs in Miami and be surprised I was at the cadaver lab studying. They didn’t understand if I wanted to pass those Monday exams I couldn’t spend the weekend dancing. Well that was a very long winded post to answer your question lol. Yes I lived in Florida Miami and Fortmyers until I went to TN for medical school. Met my now husband during med school and it seems North Alabama will be our forever home. I am enjoying learning all the southern ways now. Thank you for telling me about the manure. I am going to try and spread some over the winter in my beds. That will make me feel like I am doing something to prepare for next spring. I wish we were closer so I could go help you with yours and see your garden in person.
    ...See More

SPRING is here... Seasonal thread part 4

Q

Comments (201)
    How are we supposed to get any gardening done with this thread moving like lightening and photos I can hardly tear myself away from! Lisa, those pale pink and pale yellow roses are my kind of colors. They would be dreamy together in a bouquet. Your garden is exploding this year. I had to go back and look once again at your front garden photos, Dianela. Some of you have gardens that are so inspiring and motivating for me to work a little harder on mine. I'm on my way to Northland to pick up another Raspberry Cream Twirl for $9.50, the special of the week. This rose gets such good reviews, I think I need two. I WISH she would cover an arbor like yours, Dianela!, but I can't expect that here. Here's a pic from Northland of their mini roses. I might pick up a couple of these to tuck in some open spots in the garden. Northland's photo. Last week, these two round tables were all blue and chartreuse annuals and perennials. I could just move in and live happily ever after.
    ...See More
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 days ago

Kitty, I like Queen Margareth, too, a lovely rose I haven't seen much of. And Moonlight in Paris is indeed a winner. In my garden, I'd say Munstead Wood is the bloom winner currently, and in a full flush which burns up quickly when it's near 100F like today. Runner up is Golden Celebration, and after that, lots of roses are blooming in spite of the heat. I don't particularly like it because it's such a waste of rose energy. Kitty, you need to post some of your Cream Yves Piaget on HMF. They have a pathetic two pages of photos and none are as nice as yours.

Carol, did you get out of that locked room, or are you still stuck inside it? Do we need to appoint another thread head? And Happy Birthday to Kedra. I hope she's out of the room. They'll miss her at the hospital. More meese have appeared around here. A few miles down the road, in Eagle, ID, where Lala lives, a young male moose wandered into the middle of town yesterday. Today, Fish & Game were able to tranquilize this one, and I saw the video of them loading this moose, just like the female a few days ago, on a tarp and into a waiting van. And it took lots of F&G guys and one gal to hoist him in. For some reason, the resident young moose are wanting some town excitement before they become parents-ha. I had a nice lunch out with Elaine my friend and fellow gardener. She's had her share of gardening problems this challenging season like I have.

Magpie, I hope you're feeling better, and did you ever figure out who ate your cucumber plant? That's awful, plus seems unusual since cuke plants have such tough, scratchy leaves. I hope you have a few other plants standing by. My cukes got off to a late start when all but one plant died from wind and abnormally cold weather. I replaced them and then some critter ate the top of one-again totally puzzling. Deer have never bothered the cukes, and they grow where the deer don't often go. Anyway, we've been harvesting cukes to my big surprise. I thought they wouldn't appear till Halloween. I think the big heat wave made them grow like crazy. It really brought on the basil, too.

Ashley Smith, in spite of the beetles, you do have some lovely roses. I'm glad they left you Bolero and the Crocus Rose, my favorites with beautiful form and color. Have you tried putting on your gloves, going out in the evening, and popping beetles? I don't know if this work with the JBs, but it worked for me several years ago when a plague of black blister beetles struck. I went out every evening for at least a week and just using the gloved hand, popped 100s of the blasted beetles. You had to deftly pick them off before they started to scramble away, and quickly pop them. Such a satisfying sound. I've never had them come back since then. The word must have gotten around--heh. I hope your JB plague has vamoosed. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 days ago

Some Julia Child photos from a few weeks ago. She's blooming still and doesn't see fazed by the heat. Diane

Jude

• Diane Brakefield
    3 days ago

I went astray. Love Song

• seasiderooftop
    3 days ago

@Diane Brakefield Fabulous rose pics, and I continue to be impressed with the pics of Julia Child. Your pics and @Kristine LeGault 8a pnw 's have convinced me : she's absolutely on my list for bare root orders this fall! What a cheerful looking rose, and very tough it seems. I was looking her up on HMF and she's one of the highest rated roses for heat tolerance. I'm also intrigued by the reported licorice scent! Thank you for sharing your wonderful pictures, your garden is an inspiration!

rosecanadian thanked seasiderooftop
  • Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    2 days ago

Kitty and Diane you both have such fabulous blooms! Happy Friday everyone. Quick post of Madame Alfred Carriere before I run off to work. Our weather has been cooler than normal (ie. Not triple digits and mostly high 80s to low 90s). So she put out a beautiful July/Aug flush. I don’t recall getting a mid summer flush like this from her before. She is about 10 feet tall at the blooming tips. I hard prune her to 6 feet every mid January, which is end of winter for SoCal.

rosecanadian thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • Kitty6aNY
    2 days ago
    last modified: 2 days ago

@Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

Thank you on my blooms!

Wow! Now that’s BIG!!!! Pruning to 6 ft sounds really good! Do you use a ladder?Lol! She’s a beautiful creamy white rose w/ fruity scent-do you love her scent? & DA says 25ft-OH, My!

Diane, Ashley, On the East Coast we all have to hand pick JB. There are many techniques. Popping them in soapy water is easy. BTG (bacillus) spray is considered effective. They only last 40 days, then gone. YAY! My JB are gone for the summer!!!!

Diane, Love your roses! Esp Julia! & Love Song! Julia is very hardy-great dark green leaves-just lovibg her-easy care! And I registered today on HMF & posted my Cream Yves Piaget. Guess I can post photos now…. Lol Thank you. Your Julia is an amazing heat tolerant gal! And shade tolerant, too! Healthy no matter what-Yay!

Cream Ives Piaget, Yves Piaget (fushia), Francis Meilland, Orchid Romance, & Princesse Charlene de Monaco are all “Meilland Jardin & Parfum roses” w/ sensational blooms, often great dark leaves, some zone 5 or 6. Florist cutting roses, with delicious scents! I purchsed this collection, but now I will order again-FM and Yves Piaget (fushia) next spring. Love them-they are all wonderful! ! (All have dark green leather leaves except FM & PCdM.) HARDY!

Last night I went on a spree of looking at OGRs!!!!

I love Queen of Denmark, Yolande de Aragon, Comte de Chambord, Baron Prevost I think my new favorites on next spring order!!!! This morning I started a Pininterest account-join me? & I am in heaven looking at OGR photos & rose photos.

BERRYPIE!!!! Look at pininterest for Eden videos!!!!! Stunning!

Here’s a photo from a video…..

& my fav video…. Photo… Eden….

rosecanadian thanked Kitty6aNY
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 days ago

Kitty that Eden is amazing!

For all the bee fans out there:

rosecanadian thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Kitty - Oh, to add to my list of roses that are great .... Crazy Fashion (and the fragrance!!) and Sunsprite. Excellent on how well fish fert. is doing for you!! Holey moley!!! MiP has 20 blooms and more buds too! That's such a great rose for you...how is the fragrance? Your PAOK is lovely!! How are the stems on Abe...when I grew it, the flowers always drooped. MW, VD and RdC are my faves!! The veining on SR is really beautiful. Your QM is a bloom machine! :) :) Yeah, HC is supposed to be a prolific bloomer!! I'm excited to see how this rose performs for you!! Go Fish Fert!! Catmint is a great plant to get. Really drought resistant.

Diane - Yes, we did!! We got out 17 minutes early!! That's never happened to us before...and the puzzles were really fun. One of the clues at the beginning said to connect the lions...at the end, we found 2 small lion heads in adjoining rooms and so we used the electric spitting (loud crackling thing) and we held hands and the first and last in the line touched the lions from one room to the next (4 of us) and completed the circuit...the exit door opened!! It was a lot of fun!! LOL...yup, Kedra got out too. :) :) :) The Saskatoon hospital is safe. :) :) Wow...the meese are really getting into town...I guess that means that their population is increasing, and they're trying to get away from the larger, territorial moose. Oh, that's good that Elaine and you got together and had lunch. :) :) Blech about popping the blister beetles. :) :) After seeing your PHENOMENAL pictures, I wish I had "problems" like yours. LOL LOL GLORIOUS!!!!! ASTOUNDING!!!! I can't pick a favorite...oh my goodness!!!!

Stephanie - what a statement rose bush!!! :) :)

Kitty - I'm so glad that your JBs are gone for the summer...what a relief! My CdC isn't that vigorous or doing that well. I don't know why. Maybe next year it will be better. I'm excited to see your new old roses next year!! GAH!!! Those Edens are unbelievable!!!

Magpie - thanks so much for the bee pictures!! They are absolutely covered in pollen...they must be drunk on yellow!! I got all mellow just looking at the bees. :) :)

I'm going pretty soon for a walk near the mountains with Kedra, Don, and the dogs. It's going to be a lot of fun!! :) :) An hour to get there, an hour walk (not too long so I don't ruin my Achilles' tendon) and then an hour back and out for lunch!! Then movie night....so much fun!! Then Kedra's going back home on Sat.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    2 days ago

Ang NC_7B, so sorry to hear about those dreaded Jb's! But enjoying the pics you posted!

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b), was it you who traded a rainbow scarf to your tattoo artist? Was wondering what you got? I thought I posted this a few days ago but can not find the post...lol

Wonderful photos everyone! Enjoying all the photos! :-)

Trying to keep the PM off the zinnias but not a easy task here with the climate......But they still look decent for now...

Sunorita Rose

My new perennial Elfin Swan is putting out its first flower of the season...

Some coleus out front... My Begonias out front doing very well now... Those bushes in front of coleus will be 3x3ft so going take time for this area to get filled up...

rosecanadian thanked jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    2 days ago

Jim, yeah it was me! What I'm getting in return for the scarf is a few hours worth of tattooing with my artist.

2 days ago

Good deal Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)...Any ideas what your getting?

Oh forgot to post my Kodiak Black bush...This will mature to 4x4ft and have yellow flowers during the summer...

2 days ago

Jim, I have a sleeve started which includes a few flowers from my garden, so it will probably just go towards the time it will take to shade it all in.

2 days ago

Sounds Awesome Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)...Please post a pic in the future... :-) I'd love to see it...

• Ashley FL 9B
    2 days ago

Jim, great photo of your rose! I love that shot! 

Magpie, I always love your creature pics. We have that in common. I take a ton of those pictures too, at home & while hiking. Good luck w/ all of that alfalfa. I have an enormous bag too. Could you amend your soil with some of it? 

Carol, that book I mentioned was written in 2015. Hopefully it won't just be a catalog of Kordes roses ;). I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail. You were right - that character did look like it was modeled off a grasshopper lol. Your roses look great this year. I like Nicole Carol Miller, Charles Dawin and your Harry Wheatcroft too (1st day color). Hopefully I got those names right. Your yellow was Carles Darwin?

Kristine,  congrats on the AC & potty training!

So, I had a dream that one of you from the seasonal thread invited me to your house to look at your roses. You had the most beautiful roses that I had ever seen. You served me chocolate ice cream in the garden. It got a little weird after that, the way that dreams do. My hair turned to rose petals lol. Guess that's what happens when you catch up on the seasonal thread before bed.

rosecanadian thanked Ashley FL 9B
  • Kitty6aNY
    2 days ago

Berrypie & Diane, Yes, Orchid Romance, Meilland is at N Rosarium. But Yves Piaget , Meilland-(fushia) is at Rogue Valley Roses-own-root-I am on wait list! Join me???? It’s a fabulous rose! And Cream Yves Piaget (Classic Woman) is at Roses Unlimited-own root. . And…….. Francis Meilland is at Heirloom Roses-own-root. Ok…. got a little carried away!

Carol, Thank you on my roses & seeds! And OGRs & EDEN ohotos-Oininterest is really fun-gorgeous rose videos!. I really enjoyed reading your post. You are so fun & vivacious! Don’t know why Moonlight in Paris- 2nd yrs -is so happy this year-about 20+ blooms now! Blooms best of everything-pretty disease resistant. Doesn't rest much at all inbetween flushes. Morning sun up to 2 or 3:00pm??? Lots of my roses get that sun! She’s a Floribunda-ever bloomer. Queen Margereth is a shrub rose-ever blooms, too. Rosaeraie du Chatelet must be a shrub rose-always blooms-never rests-10 blooms now both bushes. Few others ever bloom-Walking on Sunshine almost, Knock-outs, Lichfield Angel, Flamenco Rosita, Pomponella, Lion’s Fairy, The Fairy, Kendall Marie, Sweet Drift, Michelangelo, Parade Day never stopped, Mordens Blush, O Lady of Guadalupe. Maybe more. All my climbers rest & then flush again. Guess thats a lot of ever bloomers!!!!

Magpie, Thank you-Eden on Pinibterest is stunning in videos! Beautiful sunflowers & bees!!! Love your bees! Are those your flowers?

Jim, Love your zinnias, begonias, bushes by your home and Kodiak flowers-oretty blujsh leaves. Your gardens are so pristine! Perfect mulch-not a weed. Love you to fix my beds like yours!!!!!

Ashley, Lovely dream! Id like to join you in your dream… the perfect garden tour…. choc ice cream & a rose petal hair do! Lol! What a dream!!!! Oh, My! You must have been in heaven!

Did you ask about Abe? Abe has floppy blooms but love them!

2 days ago

Yes those are some of my sunflowers Kitty. I grow some every year, and I always have a few varieties at a time. I was eyeballing a new to me variety on a seed seller's website yesterday, in fact... As if I needed more.

Ashley, I was actually wondering about amending the soil with it. My soil up in the front yard beds needs all the amending it can get, but I wonder if a ton of alfalfa will start sprouting everywhere if I do that. Edit, I just looked it up quickly, and it can be used as a seedless mulch so I guess I'll be spreading it all over a bit later in the year.

• Kitty6aNY
    2 days ago

Yolande de Aragon is so beautiful! I think she may be next to Comte de Chambord or Baron Prevost, top favs to order for spring 2023:. Dreaming about all these OGRs on Pininterest! Yolande gets a 8.5 rating from ARS which 2nd highest rating category under best!

High Country Roses

As I wait for Nahema, Jacque Cartier & Ardoisee de Lyon to bloom & Cornelia to arrive!

Nahema CL arrived yesterday from “A Reverence for Roses.” Nice healthy!

i have B&B guests tomorrow so I have planting of roses to do next week.

Sheila, do you have Yolande? Anyone have her?

Magpie, You are wild about sunflowers like me w/ OGRs. Never have enough! Lol!

Mme Isaac Pereirre gets an ARS rating 8.4.

Reine des Violettes -ARS rating 8.2

Louis Odier ARS rating 8.3

Jacque Cartier ARS rating 8.8 (near the best)

Cornelia ARS rating 8.6

The rest I cant find ARS ratings. I’d rate La Reine, Mme Dubost,, Ardoisee de L, high up there, too! All popular, healthy , & great performers!!!

—————-—

HEIRLOOM ROSES-FREE SHIPPING IN MANY ORDERS THIS WEEK-so less exoensive than Rogue Valley order!

2 days ago

Sheila has a wonderful Yolande. And yes sunflowers are beautiful but I am mostly just fascinated by the number of species that the sunflowers support here. I look forward to the frenzy of bees, wasps and goldfinches on them each summer, plus it is a host plant for a certain native butterfly here that I forget the name of... Gorgon checkerspot maybe, must look it up again. Today I saw a large beetle burrowed into one of the sunflowers, eating it, and some weevils lay their eggs in the sunflowers as well. Squirrels enjoy the seeds in fall. You get the point lol, they are a popular plant for many species.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 days ago

My baby rose that I found a couple of months ago just growing off by itself on it's on root ? I didnt plant it.

She was about a foot away from Soul sister

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 days ago

It's easy for me to get behind on this thread, it gets filled so quickly with wonderful photos and even more wonderful words from you all. I got to read some comments tonight and I just want to share my gratitude with you all. So talented and thoughtful and supportive and funny you all are. Sharing joys and challenges and hopes. I am so glad for this community.

We went camping at an alpine lake in the Oregon Cascade Mountains this week and there were so many lovely wildflowers, i thought some of you may enjoy. Plus... For the penstemon lovers here, a few native penstemon!

One penstemon

Another penstemon

rosecanadian thanked librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 days ago

More wildflowers

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 days ago

Yes, Kitty, Yolande is wonderful. She has substance in spades.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    2 days ago

Jim - your perennials are doing wonderfully...especially your coelus and your swan! So with your Kodiak Black Bush, the leaves start out green and then change to black? How cool!!

AshleyFl - good dream...no monsters or walking into university naked or anything like that. LOL Just chocolate ice cream, roses and petal hair...I love it!!! :) :) Thank you!! :) :) Yes, that was Charles Darwin. Harry Wheatcroft's first day color is very pretty, and the bush looks great from far away with all the orange flowers. :) I think everyone should get a Nicole Carol Miller. :) :) :) So your Abe has floppy blooms like it did here. Ah well. :) :)

Kitty - those Yolande pictures are gorgeous...I can see why you want one! :) How many guests do you have?

Magpie - yes, I love supporting insects, etc. too...gives me a sense of wellbeing. :) I don't think Sunflowers will grow here...I think they have a taproot, so won't do well here. I used to love growing Sunflowers (different varieties) at my other houses. :) I'd love to see as many sunflower pics as you want to post. :)

Kristine - so maybe it's a new variety? Did you leave a rose hip on Soul Sister that may have fallen on the ground when it was ripe? I think you should name it and consider a new rose!

Librarian - yes, we're pretty lucky to have found each other here! What a great group of people!! Thanks for sharing the pictures of wildflowers and butterflies (moths?). I really liked one of the penstemons...the puffy one. :) :)

We went hiking in the mountains today. Temperature was 17C/63F!!! Really great weather for a walk!! And it was breezy which kept the mosquitoes away. Took the dogs...saw a waterfall, crossed bridges...it was a lot of fun! Pictures to come. :) :)

• Kitty6aNY
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Magpie, Your pollinator sunflowers sound like a critter fantasy! So nutritious and inviting to so many wilflife species.

Sheila, I think you are our OGR queen! I knew you’d have Yolanda-spectacular! Kinda tall & fabulous bloomer-Yolande! I think mine will be smaller as have to enure my freezes!!! Which is good-I like smaller. She sure has lushious blooms!!! ARS rating superb! Thank you for your lively photo!

Carol, Thank you! A few guests this afternoon. Sounds luke your hike was heavenly! zlove waterfalks! Bet your dogs thought it is was the most fun ever! Hiking is heavenly! So happy to hear about your times w/ Kedra! Cherishing family!

• Ashley FL 9B
    yesterday

Is there a trick to successfully growing sunflowers?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    yesterday

Carol, so happy your enjoying time in nature with your daughter after all you travails. Sheil, LOVE YdA. This was a top fave at FreedomGardens a few years back when it first shot to the top of my list for fragrance and beauty. Kitty, it should be reliably hardy and seem to grow vigorously. Someday! :)Lots of critters these days, ve but the newest are SKUNKS! Theyve invaded the neighborhood and kept us from our run the other night. Now I know whos been disturbing my newly potted up cutting and bands. this year and last. I always though it was a raccoon, but definitely skunk. Very pretty, but I need to be aware at on runs. Thank goodness they only come out at night.

rosecanadian thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    yesterday

Ashley, for me it's putting our way more seed than I think I need so that the birds and squirrels don't dig up everything before it sprouts ... And slug bait, lots of slug bait so that the sprouts don't ask get eaten by the slugs and snails.

yesterday
    1. In sad rose news, Im removing my favorite ClPinkie due to RRD. She was a phoenix, growing to monstrous proportions in her last spot which was probably her undoing as she scaled a mock orange out of sight. The first and last to bloom each year in spectacular fashion, I will miss her. Setina and Christian J met a similar fate nearby last year so Im rethinking my plans to place Brise Parfume on that wall instead of Gold Blush. I need to take cuttings of the rarer Jerabek roses that were adjacent and cross my fingers they arent infected. I havent been able to locate the source What a scourge. Uggh!
    rosecanadian thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    yesterday

Sheila, your Yoland is magnificent. You are definitely the Qween of OGR and have so many beauties.

Librarian , which lake did you guys go to ?

Hiking sounds Heavenly. It is cooler today so it would be a great day to hike but I think that I will work in tbe yard and finally get some compost .

Carol, you could be right. This looks more petal packed than Soul Sister.

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    yesterday

Thanks everyone!

So sorry to hear Vaporvac! Hope you soon locate the source!

Can't wait to see your pics Carol! :-)

Wonderful photos everyone! I always enjoy!

yesterday

I don't know any tricks to growing sunflowers. They self sow like crazy in my garden, I rip them out by the handful in spring and the remaining ones grow to huge proportions. It's nothing that I've done to make them grow like that, they just like it here. The weedy "ditch sunflowers" grow all over the sides of the roads here, too, I'll try to get a photo one day because it's beautiful. My neighbors always say not to grow them because they are such heavy feeders, but I don't think that's true. I mean year after year they grow to like 8x8 out of cracks in my patio, or in the dog run area, in the horrible soil up front, on the disturbed sides of road. They don't seem to require much nutrition at all 🤷🏽‍♀️ the spots they've performed the best for me were the worst spots in the garden (where they are often banished to because they just get so big).

• Ashley FL 9B
    yesterday

Interesting, Magpie. They sprout under my bird feeder, but I don't let them grow there. We have straight up gray sugar sand here. Maybe I should just leave them alone then & see what happens.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    yesterday

Kitty - Are you still loving being a host to guests? :) Yes, the hike was heavenly, and I'm so glad my Achilles' held up. Yes, the dogs had so much fun! They had to be on leash, but that's okay. Kedra goes home tomorrow, but we had a really, really good visit. :) :)

Vaporvac - I smell skunks in our yard sometimes at night through the open window. So far they haven't done anything. Hopefully, you won't get up and personal with a skunk by accident on your run. :) :) Yes, so much fun with Kedra!! :) :) So you're thinking that when the roses pass the top of the wall, they're getting infected by mites that float by? What a shame. :( :( And Cl.Pinkie is such a fabulous rose...awash with blooms. I'm so sorry. :(

Kristine - what a beauty!! I'm so glad you potted it up. :) :) You could call it Solar Flare. :)

Magpie - it's great to have sunflowers growing in spots that nothing will grow in. :) :) Bonus!

My dogs and me. :) :)

Don and Teddy

Kedra...the doctor...so young looking

Dogs watching Kedra.

Don and I are going to go by ourselves...there are so many trails and some are even closer. This took an hour to get to. :)

yesterday

So jealous. but happy for you!! What a trooper!!!1

• Ashley FL 9B
    yesterday

Awesome Carol! How fun!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    yesterday

Thanks Vaporvac and AshleyFl!!! :) :) We live so close to the mountains and we're not taking advantage of it. We're going to do more hiking. And the weather was wonderful!!

• Ashley FL 9B
    yesterday

You might like the AllTrails phone app then. You can find trails, research them, read reviews, look at other hiker's photos, then use GPS to navigate the trail, dowload maps in case you loose signal, upload your own photos, etc. It's fun. ;).

yesterday

Those are great family photos, Carol, and I'm glad to hear that everything went so well. Happy for you!!

Help me, I went into the store for seed starting mix and came out with 4 new seed packets lol.

yesterday

Carol, you look like you arw about 30. You looks so young that is why Kedra looks young because her mom does. Good genes.

I think we all loved seeing Don, the mighty pot mover.

What a beautiful spot to hike!

Vap, dang, what a sad loss

I hope that is the end of it for you.

Magpie, we will crown you the Qween of sunflowers.

• Kitty6aNY
    yesterday

Kristine, Your Found Rose is exquisite! Love her bright & creamy bi-tone yellow old garden rose petals! looks like a historic rose! Whete did you find it? Your rose is so healthy, too-very green leaves-vibrant bloom! How long have you had her & how tall is she? Wow, what a prize to find.

Vapor, Thank you about Yolande, vigorous, growing & big blooms! love it! Oh, My, the skunks! I saw one run across my street couple yesrs ago…. woods way back in distance…. pretty funny, it dissappeared! Good! Hope yours disappears, too! Sorry about Pinkie. I think the source is the ”East Coast!” Lol! We get it in my neighborhood, too. I see several people have Dr Huey & they dont know it. If everyone took better care of their roses, maybe we could get rid of it????

Carol, Enchanting photos of you , Don, Kedra & your 2 pooches. hiking! Lovely family photos! So much fun- what a joy to hike w/ family!!! Lovely location-gorgeous river photo! Dogs look so happy! Nice hair cuts on Zephr & Teddy! Kedra is a darling daughter!

yesterday

Very nice photos rosecanadian! Looks like your all enjoying yourselves!

Even the doggies! :-)

Gracie says hello!

Elfin Swan windflower: open bloom

yesterday

Kristine, how fun to find a seedling in your garden! She is a beautiful deep yellow.
    Some asked about my Madame Alfred Carriere, she is lightly rose scented but the leaves have a spicy fragrance that lingers on your hands when you dead head and prune and I love this! I use a step-stool to prune the height down to 6 feet. Her blooms are on long stems and she gets mild powdery mildew through June. Now that it’s drier the mildew has mostly gone.

yesterday

Photos from today:

Here are some of the sunflowers, 5'-8' tall, these bloom later so they're just starting. These are from the dog run area which is north facing and basically completely neglected besides pet clean-up and occasional mowing.

Some zinnias:

Some cosmos:

Assorted small flowers:

Laguna:

Le Petit Prince:

yesterday

Ooooh! Those sunflowers ARE huge!

20 hours ago

Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b), flowers galore! :-) Very nice!

20 hours ago

Magpie, everything is a riot of color and textures. It is a happy welcoming place.

16 hours ago

Thank you :) I am pleased with what's blooming right now. And recently I've started collecting water from my shower in a 5gal bucket (I let the water run until it gets warm, which I know is very wasteful and I don't know why it never occurred to me before to just catch the cold water in a bucket) and each day between everyone's showers I collect 3-4 gallons. I've been hauling the water down to the garden each day and giving one or two roses (or veggies or clems) that extra water and it has helped so much. It's definitely spurred on the growth of the roses, within a few days after the extra water I can see new vigorous growth, even on roses that have been dormant since their spring flush ended. It gives me hope that I can use this extra water to bulk to roses up and hopefully help them reach their size and bloom potential here. Moving the water sucks because it's heavy but hey I'm going to keep it up while I can.

• seasiderooftop
    2 hours ago

Good morning everyone!

Here's Rosomane Janon, doing very well in the heat. These blooms opened on Saturday morning and are still looking good, not to mention the delicious scent! More to come, she's still small but her canes are loaded with clusters of buds.

In an unbelievable twist of events, we may be getting RAIN this week. We usually never get rain until October so this would be very unusual for here. They are saying scattered showers from Wednesday till the weekend... I hope it's true!

@Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR Your Yolande d'Aragon is magnificent! Wow!!

@Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) Le Petit Prince has such a beautiful color in your garden ! Lovely lilac shade!

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw I love your mytstery rose! If that's a spontaneous seedling you sure got lucky. What a gorgeous bloom!