SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosecanadian

Roses Love Sunshine Seasonal Thread

rosecanadian
last year

Roses, love Sunshine, (BUT NOT SCREAMING HEAT)

Violets love dew. (AS IF WE GET ANY MOISTURE)

Angels love heaven (WE CAN PRAY FOR RAIN...WILL IT COME? Nooooo)

And so I love you (YES, WE LOVE OUR ROSES....no matter what)

(Song by Nana Mouskouri (as far as I know))

I know we're all suffering with this horrid heat, but at least we have a great community here. :) :)

Comments (1.3K)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

Sara Ann, I miss you and worry about you when you dont check in. Hope all is well

I miss your beautiful roses and your kind comments

Beautiful picture!

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

Diane, our first frost date is also suppossed to be tonight

Ha ha we are still in the 50s at night as you are

Our local news keeps us well apprised of frost nights/mornings

Jim, sounds like Kitty gave you some sound advice

Hopefully next year will be a better year. Sorry that youost your coleous. They were so beautiful

Magpie, thank you for reminding us that there is as much insect activity at night as there is during the day. Just because we dont see it doesnt mean that the insects go to bed.

Your Strawberry Hill is so beautiful. What a pretty color.

Seasider, what a comeback your roses have made. They really are troopers to come through wind, sand and human thugs and still look so incredible.

HCS is so unique and beautiful! Heidi Klum is an absolute babe and all of the rest are wonderful. You must be so relieved .

Another glorious day to enjoy nature's beauty

• Related Discussions

SUMMER is here... Seasonal thread part 9

Q

Comments (247)
    Kristine - google "Epley maneuver vertigo" - it's a series of head movements that your doctor can guide you through in their office, that helps settle down your inner ear. My Aunt was having a big problem with vertigo - she had never heard about this, and just happened to mention it to a doctor who was experienced with the procedure, and it made her vertigo go away. (The technical name is "canalith repositioning procedure".)
    ...See More

WINTER is here! Seasonal thread part 1

Q

Comments (170)
    Congratulations, Lisa!! You are in for the ride of your life. This is why we have kids, right, so we get grand babies. Just kidding. I loved every minute with my own babies, but grand babies are something special. Jim, Ezra is a good looking little guy. Love seeing how these little ones grow. And, congratulations to you, Kristine!! What a joyful way to start the new year for you and Lisa!
    ...See More

The thrill of Summer and the long wait for Spring group thread

Q

Comments (1236)
    @Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal I would recommend a few tips for best results in remedying your curled leaf issue. To onow what is precisely the oroblem w/ your soil it is best to have a progrssional soil test. You can give a sample of your soil to an argriculture extension near you to do the test. it is recommended to test soil teice a year. They will recommend what to add to your soil. Adding calcium chlorode, from your pickle crisp may or may not help. And I caution adding it from your ”pickle crisp,” because you dont know the amount of calcium to add to the soil. Fertilizers have a smaller amount , ounces they add to rodes soil. Over fertilizing of calcium on roses will also inhibit absorption by rose roots of needed nutrients in the soil. I always recommend using a balanced rose fertilizer to correct an issue that is measired correctly for you for roses. Osmocote is a slow release fertilizer that may feed your roses eventually when it‘s nutients works its way through soil. Since Osmocote can take a long time to feed roses, you can supplinent Osmocote by using other rose balanced fertilizers after applying Osmocote. Some rose fertilizers release sooner nutrients to your roses. Adding a ”full balanced fertilizer,” may fix most nutrient deficiencies.” I use Espoma Organic Rose Tone I order on Amazon delivered in a few days. , which Id tecommend to you. It has bone meal w/ calcium for your roses ( it correct measured amounts.) Rose tone has NPK, poultry meal, bone neal, alfalfa, magnesium. It smells like real food from real organic ingredients. Work it into soil-water well. Heirloom Roses, HR suggests Boost & Bloom fertilizer every 4 weeks. Also, HR Founders Fish Fertilizer monthly. You can add other fish fertilizers anytime, but read label directions of the container as some have really high Nitrogen & little phosphate/potash. Adding Bone meal 1/2 cup to your soil is a recommended average amount to boast calcium, as an alternative. Often in planting roses, I recommend 1/2 cup bone meal to each rose, along w/other soil amendments. I am concerned the tree roots are inhibiting your rose roots from obtaining nutition from the soil. If these large tree roots are sharing a space w/ the rose roots you may wish to transplant the rose to a new location and give it balanced living soil & ferttilizer . An easy way to have a rose grow well is to transplant it ito a pot w/ rich bskanced potted soil & fertilize. (Potted roses do well w/ liquid fertilizers such as fish ( not granules dissolved in water.) Granule fertilizers can burn roots of transolanted roses & in pots & cause salt build up making it difficult for roses roots to absorb nutrients. If you already added the tablesppon… no worries. Just water it a lot in case it’s a little much. Transolanting the rose to a new soil & location is another option. Anyway, some food for thought. And making pickles sounds yummy!!!
    ...See More

Let's Begin Again...Rose Seasonal Thread

Q

Comments (1127)
    Hi, Jim, Wonderful you joined us! @Diane Brakefield Sorry I missed your comments above. I’ve been a little tired & skim reading some posts. I love looking at everyones posts daily, but wiped out now. However, I just caught your post about the Huntington Gardens. It’s been many years but I used to live in LA & visited them & the Japanese Gardens, often! I remember them well! They have the largest Kwanzan trees ever-that’s what inspired me to have a Kwanzan in my gardens. Interested who the curator of the garden’s is now!!! We just love his taste in roses!!! Wishing everyone a more Healthy Holiday Season!
    ...See More
  • KittyNYz6
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thank you, Magpie and Kristine,

Magpie, Wonderful ideas on night insects!

Kristine, You are soooo thoughtful and kind! Thank you for your loving ideas! On the Almanac it says Medford first average frost Oct 28,so that isn’t your @average first frist date?”

Ashley FL9b, Gorgeous photos of Abe, Bliss and Earth Angel! Your photos are divine!

My average first frost projection is Oct 14, but looks like weather report says it will be Oct. 30…..We will see…. OOPS OOPS…. I see a first frost on Oct 17…. guess I better get ready….

mulch delivery tomorrow…

rosecanadian thanked KittyNYz6
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    last year

Hey everyone. I was able to stop the vertigo, Kedra came and just left now. We had a wonderful visit for Thanksgiving. Last night we watched a bad movie and laughed and laughed and laughed. :) :)

Berrypie - your scabiosa grew to 4 feet? That's huge! :) Mine only get to about a foot tall. :) But, I agree...they're a bee magnet. :)

Diane - Thanks! We did have a wonderful visit. She's so much fun. She may come again in November. Well, usually it's turkey, stuffing, potatoes, carrots, with cinammon buns (homemade) for dessert. This year I made two chickens (Kedra wanted them), Yorkshire puddings (Kedra's favorite), potatoes with browned butter and parsley, cooked carrots with dill, green beans (farmer's market) and I bought a Saskatoon pie and a pumpkin pie. :) :) Very homey cooking. :) Ugh...you are so right about cooking for special diets/dislikes, etc. My other daughter, Holly, with her Aspergers, can't stand any meat that's juicy. She cooks a chicken breast in the oven and then dries it out by cooking it again on the stovetop. Can you imagine! As to your health issues...bp always the same isn't good if it's always high. Is that the case? I'm glad you're not in pain. :) :) LOL...don't want anyone touching the holy body. :) :) Ha haha :) :) Dust and dirt are my friends too. :) :) Although Don wants to start really doing a deep clean of the house this winter...sigh...guess I'll help him...but he knows I can't do much. :) Beautiful pictures...sumptuous roses and peonies! Oh, lucky you!! Rouge Royale...wonderful raspberry fragrance!! A bird must have tried to sit on one of my Augusta Luise blooms, because a bloom's stem was bent, so I cut the bloom to bring inside...the fragrance doesn't spread, I have to stick my nose next to the bloom...but I love the fragrance...so rosy!

Berrypie - yes, gardening is a tonic for what ails us. :) :) And I love how we can leave our rose season mistakes behind us. :) :) Well said. :) :) I think it would be amazing to have preying mantids...do they turn from green to brown or are they two different sexes or two different species?

Jim - Thanks for the pictures of Anthracnose...I see the difference now. I've, definitely, never seen that on my roses. Thank goodness. I can see why growing healthy roses is such a big deal for you...that's an awful disease! As opposed to the Anthracnose picture, your fall pictures are wonderful! I especially love the first picture. :)

Trish - thanks for the Thanksgiving wish :) :) We did have a lovely time with Kedra. :) :) I hope you get some dry weather so your Argentinian can fix your bricks.

Thanks, Kristine ... yup, I got rid of the vertigo before it became too bad. :) And we had such a fun time together! :) :)

• Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    last year

Carol, so good to hear you're feeling better and that your holiday went so well. Your menu sounds wonderful, how lucky your family was to sit down for such a meal. I can sympathize with your daughter Holly, I have trouble with food at times too, to the point where it's really frustrating for me. But that's life, huh? I grew two kinds of scabiosa this year, a perennial kind I started the year before, and some annual ones. The annual ones got to about 4', but my perennial is maybe only 2'. So maybe it's the variety? 😊

rosecanadian thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Kitty. :)

Diane - Somehow I never thought about it that way...that there would be a last day for the sun's energy to be strong enough to generate photosynthesis. I just thought about frost. You and I are both born in November...I'm right on the cusp between Scorpio/Saggitarius. Not that I believe in horoscopes. :) Wow...you had a last hard frost date in December...that's hard to imagine here. :) I love how much darker JC's blooms look.

Kristine - oh, I guess you're not hungry enough to eat much. You're still sick. Darn. I bet the dentist won't want you to come in because you're sick...with COVID, they're probably going to play it sick. I like the idea of having someone prune your maple tree and your roses getting more sun. :)

Ashley - your roses are beautiful! :) I can't imagine you've never seen leaves change color. If you ever decide to go for a fall visit...eastern areas like Quebec/Ontario have wonder leaf changes...reds, pinks, oranges and yellows! Here we mostly get yellows.

Kitty - yes, we've had one frost...I had covered up the strawberries/tomato plant, but I forgot about the Passifloras and they were fine (thankfully). I may bring them in today as we're going to have another frost. Or I may just cover them. Not quite sure yet. Beautiful passiflora pics!

Magpie - Are you sure that's Strawberry Hill? I remember mine being a much lighter pink. Sure are beautiful blooms!

Thanks, Seaside. :) :) Gosh, your roses are beautiful! My faves are Heidi Klum (that color!), Mamy Blue, Iceberg, HCS, Olivia (oh the pearescent color!), Rasp. Kisses and TG...so beautiful!!!

Sara Ann - we all wish you a better rose growing season next year. :) :) Amazing picture...the night sky is beautiful!

Does anyone want to start a new seasonal thread? I can always start another one if no one wants to. :) :)

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    last year

Magpie - oh...I see...perennial vs. annual height difference. Yes, we had a lovely time. :) :) Oh, really...you have food issues too? Such is life. At least you cook for yourself, so you can tailor your cooking to your needs. :)

• seasiderooftop
    last year

Regarding neem, as someone who uses it, I think it's the least bad option if you are in a fungus prone environment.

I agree with @Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b) about taking nighttime insects into account. However, one of the things that's different about neem is that it's not the time of day when you spray that matters, but rather the time of year.

Neem is not toxic to any insects by mere contact. It will only affect the insects that eat the plant. So pollinators will not be affected at all, as long as you spray when the plant is NOT flowering or about to. The only potential risk to bees is if they eat pollen that had been recently sprayed.

So the trick is to spray only a few times a year, during a non-flowering moment of the plant's cycle. Neem's active ingredient, the one that might harm insects, is completely gone from plant leaves in about a week. Then only the oil component remains, providing a coating against fungal infections.

This also means that, unlike other sprays, you might not be able to spray all your roses at once since they might have different bloom cycles. Ideally spray at least a week before the first flush and later in the year, immediately after a flush.

No need to overdo it. For me, two or three times a year is enough, and this year I did it only once in early spring.

rosecanadian thanked seasiderooftop
  • seasiderooftop
    last year

@KittyNYz6 Oh perfect timing for your mulch delivery!

Thank you for complimenting poor little Charles de Gaulle ! Yes he's one of the older mauves. Delicious lemony scent. ( @Kristine LeGault 8a pnw I think I remember you also have him, if so yours is probably in way better shape than mine! )

Our weather is so pleasant right now, cooler than usual for October in the upper 70's. And we had rain today! Oh it was only half an inch but it was so welcome! The rainy season is starting and I am really looking forward to the landscape getting green again after months of parched yellow and brown everywhere. Roses grow all year here, we have no frost at all, so they never get winter dormancy and many bloom year-round. I do wonder about whether they might live less long due to that. I'd imagine no dormancy at all must be tiring for them in the long run!

last year

@seasiderooftop Great info about using neem, thank you for posting it.

last year

I decided to do a walk about in my back yard and catch a few pictures

Definitely not the best time of day but I managed to get a few

I have dozens of buds so hopefully they will all get a chance to bloom.

Sweet Chariot

Took my life in my hands climbing into the raised bed. Moonlight in Paris

Daybreaker

last year

Dream Weaver

Bolero

What a wonderful fall we are not having lol.

Our usual first frost is around Halloween.

Carol, your feast sounds incredible! So glad that your family had such a great celebration.

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Magpie, Here's a little sister to your Strawberry Hill ; she's a mystery baby that came up. It is her first bloom just in the nick of time before frost - happens to be my only rose blooming in the garden. The fragrance seems a bit sweeter than the mother plant.

My son gives me his empty coffee bags; I place one by my bed to wake up and smell the coffee - Caramel Swirl with a hint of coconut, Mmmmm.

Next door neighbors were gone early this morning, I could start the day with a feeling of achievement getting the weekend's kitchen compost into the ground. Happy Monday to the worms !

rosecanadian glad for vertigone .

Excerpt;

What's the difference between a brown and green praying mantis? Green mantids hide in green foliage, waiting for prey to wander into range. Brown mantids do the same thing, only on brown foliage and stems. The camouflage not only protects mantids from predators, but allows them to remain almost invisible to their prey.

Molting

The final possible reason for a praying mantis turning brown is molting. Molting is the process by which insects shed their outer skin and form a new shell. Most praying mantises during and initially after the process of molting, have a brown color. Sadly, this final reason can also be interpreted as the praying mantis dying.

Kitty , now I need Amazing Grace, how sweet it sounds.

rosecanadian thanked berrypiez6b
  • KittyNYz6
    last year

Sleepy! I just filled my big trash bin w/ pruned roses!!! Next week I may have a frost. Tomorrow mulch/bark will be delivered and I’ll spread some. Many of my roses have buds on 5 ft canes and I couldnt prune them off! They have all these beautiful buds and blooms!!!!!! After they bloom, I’ll prune their canes. However, many roses received hair cuts today and I defoluated a few getting ready for winter. It’s too much…. I will let some of my hundred roses defoliate themselves if they have healthy leaves now. Some of my climbers have leaves & some are almost bare. Eden is sooooo big…… she grew her last pruning out, but I won’t prune her again until next spring, now.

Berry, Beautiful mystery rose!

Kristine, You have the most beautiful rose raised bed and back yard!!! Love your MIP which is coloring up!!!! Beautiful creams and oeachy yellows!!! Your potted roses are sooo beautiful, too.

I have decided to prune every week up until I get it done before winter-I am drowning in pruning. Is your pruning like mine? It seems almost eternal!! And I fill up the whole trash bin every time! It was 3 hrs pruning today! Cutting off my 5-6ft roses down to 3-4 ft.

Time for a desert and nap! Caramel apple cake or a caramel apple? Mmmmmmm….

Few blooms I couldn’t resist today! I put my passifloras outside while it was sunny and more buds, blooms than I realized….

Winder if they will ever open…

Hawkeye Belle is blooming finally, took all season to grow out now 4ft and many blooms after last winter die back…

Michelangelo, Roseraie de Chatelet, Mary Rose bloom bouquet remnants after pruning…

Added Kiss of Desire

Kiss of Desire

R d Chatelet

Carol, Thank you about my Passifloras… too many photos… but I’m really excited about them & buds I waited all season for. . How is your Thanksgiving? And your passifloras? Oh, I missed your post! Wow, you made Yorkshire pudding! That sounds delectable, chickens and browned butter on potatoes, fresh green beans-yummy, cooked carrots-love cooked carrots-the best!, and the Saskatoon pie sounds yummy- amazing! My mouth is watering! I think I may be oacking to visit you for dinner sion!!!!! Any left overs for me????? And deep cleaning of home, Ugh, it’s not my fav-wish I could find a man to do it, Lol! Can I borrow your hubby, Lol!

I am amazed your passifloras are ok. I sm carrying mine in & out…. some days i may just leave them. I think they do better with the warmth at night. Left my begonias on the porch, though. I’ll take them in before the frost.

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Had to look up what Yorkshire Pudding and Saskatoon pie is, I'll go for the pie !

A friend took me up to Canada for the first time in 1973 ?. He was a hippy with waist long black hair, called himself Eden ( formerly Richard ). Along with two other of his girlfriends , we stopped by the side of the road and he introduced me to thimbleberries, I love them !

Beautiful photos Kristine, am I the only one without Moonlight in Paris ?

• User
    last year

Berrypie, that bloom has such a beautiful color! Especially with the darker buds. What a lucky surprise rose.

rosecanadian thanked User
  • berrypiez6b
    last year

Thanks Ashley, my garden has been pretty colorless the past month. The bloom is open today, I hope my son will take another photo.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    last year

sara-ann, wonderful photo, and good to see you here again.

Kristine, I enjoyed your garden tour.

berrypie, I don't have MiP either. One of my favourite modern roses. Waist length hair, and one of his girlfriends! You and Diane were quite a pair!

Kitty, uugghhh, that pruning sounds endless. Pretty bouquet though.

seaside, thanks. And I'm glad your roses are recovering so well from their ordeal. HCS is gorgeous. I continue to be envious of you living in Malta. I'll have to hunt out a good travelogue to watch.

Carol, thanks for the sympathy. That meal sounds so good. My son and I are going to have roast chicken tonight (Jamie Oliver style), as his girlfriend is away. It's about a once a year event to have chicken. I don't really miss it, but it'll be a nice change from salmon and pasta. I had to look up Saskatoon pie too. I was surprised to read that Yorkshire Pudding made it to Canada, and even more surprised to read that Kedra loves it!

rosecanadian thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    last year

Thanks Kitty6aNY I'll try your ideas next Mid Summer etc. and see what happens...

Nice to see you post Sara Ann!

This pic was taken at our local park...

rosecanadian thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • KittyNYz6
    last year

Jim, Breathtaking beautiful park photo!!! Looks like a professional picture to put on s wall!

My leaves on my huge BIG 100 ft. tree are not even falling hardly… just a few…don’t know why! Btw, remove leaves off bottom of rose bushes before they get diseases in summer to prevent it. Provide best air circulation.

i realize that my gardeners threw grass clippings around the base of a few of my roses which mulched for last month the bottom stems/leaves of a few roses…. basically kept their bottom of rose bushes damp and they got BS there. So I will learn to keep them clean and airy (after gardeners or if too many leaves too close to ground -clear them out,) at the bottom of all my rose bushes. Good lesson.

Trish, Thank you. Yes, I feel I am always pruning or picking off leaves these days, but, must clean them. And I am olanning to add more in spring. I must be crazy! but…. I like walking out there daily…. but need to find a happy medium to cleaning up gardens work. I think I will hire neighbor to rake lawn. when keaves finally fall. zmaybe gardeners will mow them soon.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Berry, What is in your kitchen compost you put on roses? How long did it compost? Amazing Grace is the sweetest perfumed biggest rose ever!!!!! You will love iher!!! She needs lots of air and kept dry, though, or she will get BS. Just be careful. I am potting mine and putting her in the driest spots! A big pot…. so she will grow big blooms!!!

Kristine, Add your gorgeous photos of MIP to my “Moonlight in Paris,” thread. It’s helpful to see how she performs in different climates and weather. You are warmer than me so MIP is not yet turning too pink yet…she’s beautiful creamy & yellow and some pinkish-peach though, she will be pinker as it cools. Yours is beautiful! Love her in your nice bed! Every day mine turns pinker as frosts are coming…..

last year

Carol, I'm pretty sure it's Strawberry Hill. The color is variable for me, all 3 of these are from the same plant :) The last one is my favorite of her colors.

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Agreed, SH is really changeable, I like the creamy pink opposed to cold pink.

Baby Strawberry is growing up, her bloom opened.

Kitty- No one has ever asked me for my compost recipe ; the worms eat all the kitchen scraps from our meals. They are rotten fruit lovers, and mostly vegetarian except for the eggs shells I add. Of course they like coffee grounds and a spot of leftover tea. Every day or two I pick a different spot, dig a hole, toss in their soup and cover it back up. By the time i get around to the old compost site, it is more fragrant than St Swithun. It breaks down completely over a few months. By Spring my dirt can be all mixed up into a delicious flower bed. I haven't had any trouble with it drawing animals except occasionally I think the neighbor's dog digs some up near our dividing property line.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    last year

Seaside - what are the coolest temps you get? Just curious. I'm glad you're getting into your rainy season now. :)

Kristine - your roses look great...there's something extra special about your Moonlight in Paris. :)

Berrypie - I agree...Happy Monday to the worms! You are so clever..."vertigone." Love that! Ah...molting....so the brown coloration is not the normal color...but a premolting situation. Cool! Your rose is such a lovely color...great picture! So that's a Strawberry Hill bloom? Maybe mine wasn't Strawberry Hill. LOL Oh wow! I've never heard of thimbleberries! Were they sweet? Did they taste like raspberries? Oh, and Yorkshire pudding needs gravy...sooo good!

Kitty - those are wonderfully beautiful flowers...my favorite is the bouquet with just pink/yellow roses. So beautiful! Yeah, I got my husband to take my passifloras into the garage tonight (along with the tomato plant) and I covered up the potted strawberries. We may get frost tonight. I was surprised at how frost tolerant the passifloras are. I probably could have left them out. Well, we can go to your place for breakfasts and my house for Thanksgiving meals....but, that means you'll be cooking far more often than I will. :) :)

Trish - yum...I love roast chicken...enjoy! Saskatoon pie is sweet...the berries are more purple and smaller than blueberries. My mom and I always dither about which pie is better...saskatoon or blueberry. I'm big on Saskatoon pie!! Yes, my chicken meal with Yorkshire pudding is one of the few things that I make that Kedra loves...she's really into Asian food.

Jim - what a picture!! Glorious! <3

Kitty - I so agree...it's exhausting to do fall chores when we have lots of roses....this year, though, I only have 43, I think. So it won't take me too long, especially since my roses are fairly new and never grow very big. Once you get the chore done, you'll be okay with having that many roses again. :) :) Spring will be wonderful!

Magpie - the last picture looks like the color that mine had when I had it. Obviously, it's a mutable rose. :) :) I guess the softer color is when the temps are cooler. What a cool rose! Yours is beautiful in every color. :)

Beautiful, Berry Pie! <3 <3

• berrypiez6b
    last year

rosecanadian , traveling up a woodsy Canadian highway in the 70's with Eden, and stopping to pick wild berries, you're asking me if the berries were sweet ? The sweetest I've ever eaten.

Those are cute sideways hearts.

• susan9santabarbara
    last year

@sara_ann-z6bok It's so great to see you back! I've missed your wonderful pics. I have to tell you that the pics of your gorgeous snapdragons encouraged me to buy some last fall, after a many year absence from my garden. I bought them in November, and they lasted well into April, and were spectacular.

@seasiderooftop I'd get your Huddersfield Choral Society just for the veining/painted nature of the blooms... wow!

rosecanadian thanked susan9santabarbara
  • KittyNYz6
    last year

I think I’ll order a Wowsa Dwarf Cherry Tree 8 ft for eating & baking! Wowsa is for cold clinates -40F. So should be fine for my NY winters, Lol Bares fruit in 1 year!!!!

for pies & goodies!!!!

and a Dwarf Weeping Yoshino cherry tree from Etsy for front yard.$10….

Gotta pick more apples from my tree which turns out isnt a Granny Smith….the applesauce I made is good!

Next maybe I should make crabapple jam w/ my crabapples…

Ok…. I’m having a fruity evening!

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Wowsa Kitty, your life is a bowl of cherries, and apples, and roses...

The dwarf Weeping Yosino is incredibly beautiful.

last year

Funnily enough, cherries, apples and roses are all in the same family! And she grows strawberries as well, also related. I guess Kitty just has a thing for the family Rosacea :)

• seasiderooftop
    last year

@rosecanadian

Our coldest temps are around 44°f, and that's only at night, for a few weeks in late January/early Feb.

Malta used to be zone 10b, it would go down to 39°, but in the last few years that hasn't happened and we're solidly zone 11a now.

Anything that requires significant winter chill is unhappy here. No gallicas or albas for me unfortunately, but that still leaves a lot of other roses to experiment with!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    last year

Berrypie - I wish I could try thimble berries!! <3 <3 (there's some more hearts <3 <3)

Kitty - I've never heard of either of those trees...and, seriously, the first one is called Wowza? :) :) That sounds like my kind of tree since I say Wowza a lot here. :) :) The second one is beautiful!!! WOWZA!!! :) :)

Magpie - you're right, I didn't think of that...all within the rosacea family. :)

Seaside - so that's about 7C...wow...so mild! When I lived in Fort McMurray, we had 3 weeks of -50C/-58F every year...you probably can't imagine that cold...but it wasn't a wet cold...so not terrible. :) You're zone 11a now. We're still 3b. Zone 11a would be too hot for me though. :)

So does anyone want to start the next thread?

• titian1 10b Sydney
    last year

Doesn't look like it, Carol. You're a great host and may be stuck with it forever. Don't do it unless you want to, though.

rosecanadian thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • KittyNYz6
    last year

Good Morning, Rosacea Friends,

Yes, Maybe my favorite family is Rosacea! Lol! I do love roses and fruits! Cookibg w/ fruits is sooooo much fun! I have currants, too, planted new last spring. Thank you, Berry, Magpie, Carol, and Trish!

Seaside, Your climate sounds wonderful! I prefer warm and have thoughtva few times that Italy wouod be beautiful to live in! Malta sounds heavenly, but maybe too hot sonetimes! Sounds like you have fall now which is like my summer really, ha ha!

Berry, Love your compost recipe… sounds like it works very well. So veggies, fruits, coffee grounds , tea bags, egg shells, dig a hole and let it decompose a few months-I love it! Easy! I may start composting again…. I like your dig a hole method! I tried a bin, but I like the dig a hole method best! I have a recipe which adds healthy leaves, paper, cardboard to it, too. I am always careful about leaves…. only the good ones in my garden.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    last year

Thank you all! I‘m doing good. I’ve had better rose years, partly the lack of rain this year, but I just haven’t been that good at keeping up with them this year either. I always enjoy the interaction with other rose lovers and I know it helps me do a better job caring for them. Hopefully next season will be better!

BELINDA’S DREAM on this day 2019

An arrangement on this day in 2016

rosecanadian thanked sara_ann-z6bok
    last year

Moonlight in Paris.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@sara_ann-z6bok I am soooo happy to hear from you, Sara! Your roses are lovely. I am ordering a Zaide rose next spring because you had one and it was soooo lovely! I remenber your wonderful seeds and it really started me on seeds in pots!!!! Your enthusiasm is catching!!! Your Belinda’s Dream has always been dreamy! And what a beautiful rose bouquet! I hope you join us more and with the planning for next spring's gardens coming up…. it is fun to see what everyone is planning. For now it’s clean up gardens time for first frosts for some of us.

last year

Berrypie, I use the same compost method. I had 4 roses to plant so to prep the area about a month beforeI started adding banana peels, coffee grounds with filters and paper . Then I started digging in grass clippings. By the time I planted, the soil was nice and fluffy. Then I did the side hole dig next to a rose and tossed in the same stuff. The only rose that this hasnt seemed to help in Francis Meiland

Not sure what his deal is

Thank you so much for the kind comments on my roses. I am blessed to be having a spectacular fall

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    last year

Trish - LOL, no worries. :) :)

Sara Ann - GASP and SWOON!!! Your Belinda's Dream roses are sensational!! They are gorgeous! So good to "be with you" again. :) :)

Magpie - I saw your bouquet on the Bouquet thread...really lovely combination of the dramatic and the soft colors!!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    last year
    last year

Berrypie, did you get a found rose too? Isnt that the most exciting find ?

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Carol, Thank you on my Wowsa cherry trees, Lol Lol! My 2 trees are ordered and coming now…. just a little time to plant on south side of home before frosts. It will keep them warm this winter. Then I will transplant them in spring to their foreber homes Thank you for the new rose thread!

Magoie, I love your bouquet w/ Moonlight in Paris…. the pinks, peaches, creams and purple flowers are the most beautiful composition.

Kristine, Your composting sounds wonderful! Love hearing about your banana perls and fluffy soil! I am excited to be adding my kitchen scraps…. much better for environment!!!

——————

I just finished couple hours spreading mulch around roses. I’ll do more tomorrow and neighbor’s going to help. Then we will do bark mounding.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Passifloras finally blooming now it’s cool & sunny 74F today!

Victorias first blooms. She also has sm purple flowers… kinda interesting.

Possum Purple is most healthy, largest leaves!

They need lots of water. I think Maypop dried out some, but doing better now. I am watering more.

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Hi Sara Ann, it's good to have you post and show us some of your lovely roses--Belinda's Dream is just stunning. I think lots of us have had better rose years than 2022, including me. It was our hottest year on record, yet we still managed to have a freak snowstorm in May, the first one since 1964. Julias when splat during that storm. I wish you the best rose year in 2023 and a mild winter. And good health to all of us and our families. Please post again.

Magpie, I love your artistic rose arrangement. As you know, I love pale colors that contrast with dark purples. Yum. Love your Strawberry Hill photos. I do like roses with changeable colors.

Kitty, all those luscious cherries you'll be growing will just be one more reason for us to show up on your doorstep next year, looking for cherry pie. Just be sure to net the pie cherries, or birds will get the future pies. I like the pretty lavender-purple flowers of Victoria, and I hope Maypop gets lots of water from her human mom. Your beautiful bouquet is exquisite and so fresh looking.

Berrypie, what a lovely little Strawberry Baby.

Jim, your park photo is amazing. You had perfect timing to take the photo just when the reflection was at its peak. I think you should frame that pic for your living room.

Kristine, all your roses look great--what a nice autumn reward--but Daybreaker is outstanding. Perfection in coloring. I remember when I wanted that rose so badly, and for some reason never got it. I still want it, especially after seeing yours!

Seaside, oh, my, that Huddersfield Choral Society is a breathtaking rose. What color. All your roses look great and I'll bet you have lots of good rose season left, you lucky thing.

Carol, thanks for starting the new thread, which I'll look at now. Loved reading about your Thanksgiving feast. Diane

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    last year

Kitty - I'm so glad that your Victoria passiflora bloomed!! It's really unique...I really love the pink color. :) The place I got my passifloras offers Purple Possum. I'm going to wait to order it...first see if my current passifloras live over winter.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Diane and Carol, Thank you! Victoria is more beautiful than I imagined. Ok, Cherry pies when it bares fruit!!! and net cherries!

Carol, Purple Possum Edulis Passiflora is a real winner! With her large luscious leaves and now gorgeous blooms-Wowsa!!! You’ll love her! Keep home temps between Ideal temps for Passifloras are above 50F, preferrably 70-80F. They like 6 hrs mild full sun, but not scorching afternoon sun. I tead they are best at a South facing inside window for winter.c I read to take them inside when it’s lower than 50F, but I think I’m taking mine inside when they reach 40F.

Maypops are more hardy to freezing weather, though though, if left outside they go dormant.. But in our pots they would freeze. Purple Possum Edulis may not do as well in freezing weather -it’s not meant to .

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, Kitty! Yeah, most passifloras are zone 8-11...so they wouldn't do well with freezing temps. I'm actually going to let my passifloras go dormant in a dark room in the basement (concrete floor...no carpet). I overwintered fuchsias that way. I don't have any windows inside that get sun. Really bizarre...but no sun inside. If I can keep these ones alive...then I'll try more tender ones... :) :)

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Your Maypops should be fine going dormant in garage. Keep them reasonable warm, could wrap w/ burlap? Then you can still water them. Best wishes! You have lovely passifloras!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    last year

I don't know...it can get quite cold in the garage. I overwintered my fuchsias in the house for 2 years...they did wonderfully...and then last year I tried them both in the garage and they both died. So I'll be safe rather than sorry. :) You have lovely passifloras too! :) :)

• KittyNYz6
    last year

It sounds like a good plan…. Interesting that fushias made it in a warm environment w/ no sunlight, maybe was muted light. Maypops are meant to go dormant, though and fushias are not meant to go dormant. Maypops probably eould loose their keaves , but go to sleep if put in the garage. However However, in home, they live abd griw some andcIf they get any light from across room from the windows that may be what sustained the fushias abd will sustain the Maypops, because they wont be dormant if in a warm house. They just grow really slow which is what mine, do. Sounds like you have it figured out! Very good!

A little trvia on the Passiflora Incarnata, Maypop. It is the only passiflora species native to U.S. Known to withstand temps diwn to -16 C/-2 F, in Massachusetts & Connecticut, on south side of hones protected, it goes dormant.,However, it orefers well draned soil. And a note on watering, my book said let soil dry some before watering-don’t let soil be overwatered becoming soggy. Water before it wilts, though.And it said fertilize during growing seasin w/ liquid fertilizer bakanced w/ nitrogen nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium.

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    last year

Kitty - totally dark room closet with a concrete floor. I let the soil dry out almost completely. I actually had thought it had died, so I didn't water it all winter. ??? Weird, but it lived. Also, the spot is in the basement...so it's cooler there.

Oh, sounds like I may have overwatered my passifloras. Maybe that's why the Pink Maypop didn't do very well for most of the summer.

So Passiflora Incarnata...is that what I have? I have Pink and Blue Maypops. If so, they probably would do quite well in the garage.