SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_418463028

Layout help needed for a unique Victorian living room

little oz
last year
last modified: last year

We recently bought an amazing home, built in 1865 and restored about 15 years ago. It's a gem, but I am *struggling* with the layout for the long, Victorian-style living room. We have a separate den where we hang out and watch TV, so we want this room to be focused on entertaining. We have large gatherings (15-40 people) several times a year, and I'd love to have a space where everyone can mingle comfortably. My challenge is how to keep it feeling pulled together with the doorways, curved wall, fireplace, and bay window competing with one another.

Based on what I've read about long narrow rooms like this, I separated it into 2 smaller conversation areas for now. But then when we have the big groups over, we end up pulling chairs around so everyone can talk together and feel included.

As far as furnishings go, I'm open to replacing any of it to get a better flow except the Eames chair; that stays. My style is generally modern eclectic, although I love pulling in interesting shapes and styles from other eras to help keep things more timeless. I've dreamt of getting an angled couch, but I'm not sure that would work here?

Any thoughts??

Comments (2)