SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladytcat2003

What kind of insect is this tiny orange bug??

Tammy Foster
last year

Last spring I started a small vegetable garden on the patio of my apartment. It was my first time, so needless to say, it was trial and error. A lot of error, but I did manage to harvest a few tomatoes and jalapeƱos. Just before fall kicked in, I started to prepare to put my plants away. But my jalapeƱo had a couple more baby peppers on it, so I brought it inside since the weather was going to be cold that night. Early the next morning when my son went to put it back outside, it had aphids by the hundres on it. I hadn't noticed them the entire time I was harvesting peppers. I figured that the warmth of my apartment fooled them into hatching eggs that may have been laid. Anyway, a quick search online referred me to Neem oil. I ordered some from Amazon but not in time enough to save my pepper plant. Fast forward to today. I started my tiny vegetable garden this year prepared to wedge war on the aphids if they should attack my peppers and tomatoes(the tomatoes weren't attacked last year, just the pepper plant. I have been checking my plants daily looking for any signs of the little buggers. Yesterday I and my son saw a few in the ends of a couple of leaves and we removed them by hand and a water stream from a squirt bottle. They were on both of my pepper plants(green bell, jalapeƱo). Not very many but enough to make me nervous. So I misted them with the Neem oil. I don't have any insects that feed on aphids(ladybugs, ect...) But I've seen this tiny orange bug on the pepper plants. I removed them but Yesterday I saw another one and before I remove it, I need to know if it eats aphids?? I want to keep it there if they do. I've got a pic of it but don't know how to post it here?? Like I said, its tiny and orange, it's little legs look like they are striped, it's body shape kind of resembles a grasshopper or cricket. But its not one of either of those.

Comments (4)