SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
wendy_gendron55

backsplash dilemma

Ginger
2 months ago

New reno kitchen. Looking for backsplash to complement and not compete with exotic stone counter and copper sink. I’m considering dark, like fire clay carbon (warm dark charcoal) or cream ~matte. It’s open concept lake house. Yes…. Lots of brown. I get that comment a lot. But lots of windows.

I pulled some panels from a local tile store. I’m drawn to the green but I know that is crazy talk…One thing for sure, I don’t like shiny. You’ve all been helping me through this process, looking for some advice on this final stage. TIA ;-)

Comments (47)

• drsaj
    2 months ago

I love your kitchen so far! Hopefully, Beth H will stop by and give you great advice for the backsplash.

Ginger thanked drsaj
  • Related Discussions

Backsplash dilemma.

Q

Comments (13)
    https://tilebar.com/castle-hazy-trail-3x12-ceramic-tile.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI07q2rIT85QIVjIjICh1c4wAyEAkYBSABEgKd-fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds This is simple, updated size from 3x6, it picks up on the browns on the stone. Take a look at the reviews as clients have uploaded photos of the tile used in their backsplash. This one has a little something without competing with the counter.
    ...See More

Backsplash dilemma

Q

Comments (2)
    You already have a backsplash out of your countertop material. Nothing else is necessary. If you’d like something different, please remove the 4” splash. Having both is redundant.
    ...See More

Kitchen backsplash dilemma

Q

Comments (6)
    Near the sink, I'd tile the short wall in the corner as well, and the area behind the sink if you're adding a raised wall. For the stove area, I would tile to the bottom of the hood vent or the bottom of the shelves, depending on where those are placed. If you're not going all the way to the ceiling I would not go as high as the pantry. Do you have room to add a narrow cabinet to the left of the sink? Or even a 6" filler piece? The sink looks awkward to use so far into the corner.
    ...See More

4 inch backsplash dilemma

Q

Comments (21)
    This is so interesting. I’ve never seen anyone attach a 4” bs to a tall cabinet. And your wet zone seems to be on the island. I hope it comes off easily. If you end up needing to repair it, your cabinet company can probably provide you with touch-up paint if you ask. My least favorite look is tile above a 4” splash. It’s the belt and suspenders look. But people do it. Do a Google search and see if you like it.
    ...See More
  • Hendrik Tevreden
    2 months ago

That’sna beautiful kitchen. What is the name of the stone used? Cream!

Ginger thanked Hendrik Tevreden
  • herbflavor
    2 months ago

of those..the whte stands out as everything adjacent pops a bit....its a good crafty looking white tile.......thats what I'd do...consider grout in a shade if you want.

Ginger thanked herbflavor
  • Mrs. S
    2 months ago

Oh my goodness. I love your choices!!! What is that stone called??

Ginger thanked Mrs. S
  • Olychick
    2 months ago

I kind of like your idea about green. It's hard to see exactly what green might be in your countertop and I don't think the green shiny tile is right...but what about something like this?

Tidepool Zia

Ginger thanked Olychick
  • jendebaunhoward
    2 months ago

No backsplash!
    You don't need it behind sink because the window is there. And use a tougher paint in all those areas so the wall is easy to keep clean (e.g. Benjamin Moore Aura).
    Your kitchen is lovely and adding a backsplash would be too much. Too visually busy.
    Honestly, tile backsplashes are way overused in my opinion.

Ginger thanked jendebaunhoward
  • clt3
    2 months ago

I also very much like the idea of green. It all looks very organic - your counter looks like petrified wood. I agree with olychick, shiny is not correct though.

Ginger thanked clt3
  • M Riz
    2 months ago

Im not a pro, this is just my opinion. Your kitchen is very special, meaning the counters are very unique, you have an exotic wood for your cabinets, the floor is rustic, and your island is a different color (to make it stand out?). Theres a lot going on there and when everything is special, nothing is. I would go with a simple tile, not glossy, with matching grout. To me, theres a lot to take in and nothing stands out because everything does. I do love the cabinet wood tho, very pretty. To me, thats what I would have featured. Good luck

Ginger thanked M Riz
  • ptreckel
    2 months ago

WOW. Gorgeous kitchen. So refreshing and natural. I like the creamy natural looking tile, if it coordinates well with the tones in the stunning countertop. (Middle one on the left.). Yours is a kitchen that is inspirational! Keep us informed…

Ginger thanked ptreckel
  • RedRyder
    2 months ago

Of the choices posted, the left group, middle one. An ivory or cream colored PLAIN tile will complement this kitchen. Your stone countertop is a huge star of the room and doesn’t need competition next to it. The bright white seems a bit too glaringly-white for this set up. I like the texture of the cream one but you might consider 4x4” in a crackle off white as well.

You don’t want anything too dark, including green. The lighter colors will bring out the beautiful wood of the cabinets in addition to not competing with the glorious countertop. Great kitchen so far!

Ginger thanked RedRyder
  • Kat M
    2 months ago

Love the browns! Can you put the green near the sink and photo again? The nature colors are gorgeous and if you have enough light and windows I think the green would be amazing.

Ginger thanked Kat M
  • L A
    2 months ago

Love the green also, but not with that white grout.

Ginger thanked L A
  • rtpaige03
    2 months ago

I agree about needing a matte tile. Why not pull some matte samples and repost?

Ginger thanked rtpaige03
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 months ago

I love the green ( with a warmer grout ) !! The cream would be really nice as well. I do actually like the glossy tile, but can understand the draw of a matte tile.

The kitchen looks amazing so far!

Ginger thanked Debbi Washburn
  • Maureen
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Consider earthy hand made tiles just behind stove and paint a complementary color below the cabinets. I think adding subway tiles will make kitchen feel generic vs unique and inviting.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1059076025/white-handmade-ceramic-tiles-for?click_key=ab0a8f19b44f772b8c21f53376ee8789d3f0c90f%3A1059076025&click_sum=fe1875d6&ref=pla_sameshop_listing_top-1&sts=1

https://www.devolkitchens.com/shop/handmade-tiles

Thought these ideas could provide additional personality. Think big picture and the feel you want, before finalizing your choice.

Ginger thanked Maureen
  • wiscokid
    2 months ago

I like the green, but more matte.

Ginger thanked wiscokid
  • njmomma
    2 months ago

What ever tile you choose, make sure you change the lighting in the kitchen first before picking the color of the tile. Buy a few samples and tape them up for a week and see if you can live with your choice, before purchasing.

Will there be under cabinet lights?

Lights over the island?

Lights over the sink?

Ginger thanked njmomma
  • Tara
    2 months ago

I like green, but matte

Transitional Family Kitchen · More Info

Monochromatic kitchen · More Info

Bedford Place · More Info

Ginger thanked Tara
  • spiritflower
    2 months ago

Lovely kitchen You don't have a lot of wall space to put backsplash on. That's good. I'd go with painting the area for now. I'd go with BM Aura,. Take a look at their Prescott Green, I've paired it with brown's before and it looked great. You can always decide to do tile but consider living with it just painted for a while.

Ginger thanked spiritflower
  • barncatz
    2 months ago

Look at Winchester Tile Co. Their website has a US Dealer locator. I like square tiles, not brick for this kitchen and something with a textured or linen finish.

Ginger thanked barncatz
  • farmwife10
    2 months ago

What is the source/stain of those cabinets? 😍

Ginger thanked farmwife10
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 months ago

beautiful kitchen. please tell me the ceiling fan is going???

I don't mind a green, but not that green. it's too deep. maybe more of a greenish gray would look better.

but you may be better off going w/the cream.

here are some others you can look at. they all matte finish

Bedrosians Makoto tile. Kumo gray and tatmi beige

But, I also really like these two darker choices. the colors are perfect w/your stone

Zenia tile, 2.5" X9

They have Umbra and Orbit, (shown) and another one called Gravity. take a look and get some samples.

They also have this color, Solar.

https://www.bedrosians.com/en/product/detail/zenia-tile/?itemNo=DECZENMOO259M

this is one shown in the color Moon so you can see how it looks.

Ginger thanked Beth H. :
  • RedRyder
    2 months ago

I love the textured cream tiles that @Maureen posted. That’s a great look for your kitchen.

Ginger thanked RedRyder
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 months ago

RedRyder, are you working off a desk top computer? if so, can you message me on houzz?

• Amber Webb
    2 months ago

I personally like the darker charcoal colors. I think whatever you choose will look fabulous!

Ginger thanked Amber Webb
  • Memphis Forrest
    2 months ago

I like the cream tiles as well. Definitely gives off a earth tone complement without taking away from that fabulous counter and cabinets.

Ginger thanked Memphis Forrest
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 months ago

Green.

Ginger thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • tdemonti
    2 months ago

Gray Green paint. You will have stuff on the counter top lending to busy.

Ginger thanked tdemonti
  • Carrie W
    2 months ago

I love your kitchen, esp. for a lake house. I vote matte cream, as I think it would help lighten up the space a bit and let other finishes shine.

Ginger thanked Carrie W
  • Barrheadlass
    2 months ago

Beautiful kitche! i would love to know what the counters are, and the wood of the cabinets. i vote for cream tiles.

Ginger thanked Barrheadlass
  • Julie Schmooley
    2 months ago

What a beautiful kitchen great job!! I love Beth’s examples and I also am team cream matte subway tile!

Ginger thanked Julie Schmooley
  • herbflavor
    2 months ago

which cream? not a yellowish one I hope..... there are so many tones between floor counter and cabs.....in person evaluation only to make this choice. I can say I like the white for sure....cream or green is really uncertain...I'd almost take black gloss with the window frame detail a big accent already there....and paint would be okay too....you need friends/relatives neighbor to look in person.... the only way in this case... heres black ....get people in to really see your options...

Homer Glen Addition · More Info

Parkway Cucina · More Info

Ginger thanked herbflavor
  • Ginger
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

Thank you everyone!! So many good ideas!!

For those that inquired:

- cabinets are from Showplace Cabinetry. I liked that they are semi custom. I didn't use a single spacer. It's very small and I needed to maximize the space. The perimeter cabinets are Maple with Cashew stain. Island is Rustic Alder with Tawney

- Countertop - sandalus quartzite. However, all other sandalus slabs I've seen were primarily black and dark brown. I stumbled across this lighter version and couldn't stop thinking about it. I haven't seen it anywhere since. Photo with a close up of the island is below. Some had cautioned it was sandstone and I appreciated that feedback. As a result, I put extra metal supports for the island overhang (overhang is only 12") even though the counter fabricator said I didn't need it. I will also be diligent about sealing it more frequently. Thanks to this community, I made an informed decision and planned for it.

- Sink is Rachiele copper "warm rustic" patina on apron

I've been ordering lots of samples based on the suggestions. I did a few mock ups (below) with the three leading hues. I was trying to get the cream to work, but it looks out of place - maybe it's the shade I chose for the mock up. I've also been exploring a lot of handmade tiles which are beautiful.

Agree, it's really best to see in person but it was fun to play around. And it's not as busy as it seems when you are standing in the room because everything is in a similar hue/tone - if that makes sense. It is actually somewhat boring until you really look at each component.

• Ginger
    Original Author
    last month

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

Still love the green!

• eld6161
    last month

While the green is lovely, I'm not seeing any green in the counter. The backsplash needs to relate to something. Sometimes it is the cabinetry, sometimes the counter.

Those times also see to have variation in color. I think it be compete rather than complement the counter.

If there is indeed green in the counter, I would find a softer lighter color in the the mat finish.

I am also team mat cream with a Gary green for walls to get in your green.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

show us the actual tile against the countertop/back area so we can see the colors

• everdebz
    last month

Hello. I like both rustic green, and lighter.... since it's not done... have you a feeling about your home and environs? Shady with less sunlight? When I've had that I feel less well.

After samples and mock-ups maybe examine feelings and longings....

and for other rooms, is there a photo that shows liked fabrics, things less permanent? Green!?

• everdebz
    last month

oh... will you have undercabinet lighting?

• pkpk23
    last month

Another vote for skip the backsplash and use green paint

• RedRyder
    last month

I think the white tiles you’re using to mock up are too white. I would seek out cream colored Chloe tiles. They’re textured and interesting, which will look good against those cabinets.

My friends have a similar cabinet - it looks like beautiful driftwood. They’ve waited two years to find the right backsplash. That cabinet color is quite unique, which makes the backsplash choice trickier.

Your countertop is gorgeous! Again, the right ivory/cream tile will enhance it. I love anything green but the mock ups look too dark to me when all three elements (cabinets, countertop and green tiles) are together.

• eam44
    last month

I love tile. Love it. But I wonder whether any tile might look too busy in that space. The stone is the eye candy in your kitchen. Your sink looks so beautiful against your stone. Have you considered sheet copper as your bs? You get to choose the finish and the patina. You can have it ”sealed” or let it weather. And, as you dont really need much protection from your sink or range, you can choose your height: 2”, 8”, up to the bottom of the upper cabinets, and choose paint for the rest of the wall. Just a thought. It reads very ”lake house” to me.

• everdebz
    last month

Handles chosen yet? if dark handles, let us know. ;)

• G G
    last month

Green!

• coray
    last month

As suggested by Beth H, I’d go with a soft, lighter gray-green. Stay away from tile with lots of variation…it will look too speckled, and you have a lot of movement in your stone tops.

• eam44
    last month

It might look something like this.

Or this

Calm, serene, and vastly adaptable. You get to change the look with a little paint anything you want while keeping the materials the same.

Sponsored
Nova Exteriors
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Window, Doors, Roofing & Siding Experts in the DC Metro Area