SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twhitmeyer

Skara Brae Matte for kitchen counters, island & backsplash?

twhitmeyer
last year

Up until a few days ago we were confident in our decision to use Cambria's Skara Brae Matte on the perimeter counters, island and backsplash. Now we are beginning to question that decision.

Because of how our counters are divided, there will be no seams anywhere. The island will be a single slab with a mitered edge, 2.5". The backsplash behind the range top will be full height up to the bottom of the rangehood.

Our concern is that the kitchen could look too busy with such a bold vein everywhere. Baesd on everything I've read, the matte finish from Cambria creates a more subtle look than the high polish, so that will help.

The argument in favor of our choice is that it can be difficult to match other materials with bold patterns such as Skara Brae, and therefore using the same quartz everywhere eliminates that challenge. I've seen people use other stones on the permimeter and backsplash and it it worked out great, but I've also seen photos where it turned out badly.

For a variety of reasons, I think higher end kitchens can pull of these bold quartz options better than budget kitchens. Our space is not a $200K kitchen, but it skews more toward what most people would consider a high end kitchen.

I'm not sure if this will be helpful, but here are some details about the rest of the kitchen:

- new shaker cabinets to the ceiling / custom drawers with Top Knobs Amwell knurled pulls in ash gray

- leaning toward Chantilly Lace for the cabinet color, the island might be BM Cheating Heart (paint colors will be finalized after the counters are installed)

- Wolf range top and stainless appliances / sink

Comments (17)