SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elaine_mcdonald4594384

Advice on Kitchen Backsplash White Cabinets

Elaine _M
last year
last modified: last year

I have Kraftmaid Shaker Cabinets in white. The trim at the top is not up yet I was planning on putting shiplap on the back of the bar and the area next to it. It has Cambria Smithfield countertops. (Well it will have it in the morning.) What would you suggest for a backsplash? What is more popular? I am thinking about selling it now. So, I am interested in what a buyer would like better. I will post pictures tomorrow. I was thinking about white Herringbne with gray grout, But maybe gray subway in 2x8" Would marble tiles be a better choice?

Comments (47)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Post the pics after the counter is in that is when you choose backsplash and IMO the herringbone layout is busy and probably one of those things that will be dated soon.

Elaine _M thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Related Discussions

White Antique kitchen cabinets -- backsplash too white?

Q

Comments (16)
    I'm with Daisychain - just say no to 3 stones in one kitchen. Alaska White is a beautiful granite. It will be the star. Both of the backsplash tiles you pictured would be wrong. The one on the right because it is busy, and also a dated look. The one on the left cause it would be stone #3 in your kitchen, and because its veining going in different directions with each tile will not go with your granite. I recommend a quiet cream subway backsplash. Not only will go, but also is a classic. Not everything in your kitchen needs to be splashy and statement-y. Keep that in mind with all your choices.
    ...See More

countertop with cream cabinets kitchen and backsplash advice please!

Q

Comments (31)
    If you like blue, you might try using a blue gray finish on your island cabinets only? It seems like so many try to attain a finished kitchen that reminds one of the old sienna color photographs. No one really wants to live in shades of brown and gray all over the world. That can be monotonous. I really like the backsplash slocoja shared in her photo. I bit of shiney is really pretty with the silver chrome appliances, but maybe limit it to one or 2 lines thru the center of your backsplash, and than use the choice for your countertops in the backsplash. I think you might enjoy that more long term. Especially since you have so many different heights of window frames, cabinet trim, lines of molded cabinet doors and vertical lines in your windows... Do a couple of lines of your silver, or even a dusty blue or blue gray even if you can find it(goes with any other color you can think of for the next 3 decades, like blue jeans do? LOL) if you like that amongst the backsplash which matches your counter top, and let your island be the color you have planned in your picture if so... That way your eyes won't tire of all the movement in the kitchen, so many angles on your backsplash, the reflection etc.. I would do it at the height that splits your outlets in half, one to 3 lines of horizontal mini tiles. Very pretty!!
    ...See More

Advice Needed on Kitchen Tile Back-Splash and LVT/LVP Flooring Color

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Chispa, House is a townhouse built in 1996, trying to modernize the look. As far as decorating style, I like modern/contemporary, nothing too funky. Something that would be cohesive with the rest of the kitchen, and bring the kitchen to life a little. It's very white right now.
    ...See More

☼ Looking for advice. White or blue fan tile backsplash in my kitchen?

Q

Comments (12)
    I think i'd go ahead and paint the island if you want the blue theme without a doubt. I'd delay the counter and backsplash. It's a kitchen for two counters-island and perimeter....and the blue "fan" theme is not right for the long skinny backsplash. It plays better where it goes higher on a bigger expanse as shown near that hood. You don't have that dimension at all. the dark look and the fan pattern will scrunch the visuals in your strip. Hold off …..search for two counter materials and then the backsplash will fall into place. The blue island will work with the brown counters for the time being anyway. You'll get there...slow down a bit.
    ...See More
  • Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

@Maureen, The condo is on the beach. I thought the shiplap would be easier and faster to install. I don't have a bar, but I am thinking I am ready for one. ;) By bar I mean the overhang where I will have barstools. That is the wall I was thinking about doing shiplap. I originally just wanted sheetrock.But the contractor was only interested in shiplap. But since he kept delaying the project and he stil does not have the cabinets and trim installed, we have decided to finish it ourselves. Initially we asked him to do sheerock. The pattern on the quartz is not very busy at all. We are going to put new flooring in as well but we have not picked it out yet.

• toni1947
    last year

Use same material from countertop for backsplash

Elaine _M thanked toni1947
  • Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

toni1947 I think that is a great idea! But not sure my husband would. I will ask the people that installed the quartz.

• Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

Patricia Colwell Consulting I am always interested in your comments. I know you hate plastic quartz. I have always prefered real stone as well, but I didn't want a pattern and I was afraid to try marble. I am a messy cook. I actually am happy with the Cambria. It is so easy to clean. I honestly spend more time wiping my granite off at home. What do you think about installing the Cambria for a backsplash?

• wynterwynd
    last year

I installed my countertop quartz as the backsplash after looking and what seems to be millions of tiles. Couldn’t be happier. No grout to clean, everything wipes off easily and it’s a cohesive look.

Elaine _M thanked wynterwynd
  • RedRyder
    last year

If you’re thinking of selling your house, I would not put a marble backsplash up. Some people are intimidated by marble. Find a nice ceramic tile, in an interesting shape, or install in an interesting pattern. I think herringbone is classic and won’t go out of style so easily. You want to appeal to the most buyers possible. Make it attractive, simple,and easy to clean.
    Using the countertop material is the best idea if you can match it and the price doesn’t kill you.

Elaine _M thanked RedRyder
  • Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

@RedRyder I would love to find someone that could install the herringbone. I would like white with a medium to dark gray grout. How do yo find someone that can do that well? I do not want the white quartz right behind the range. There is a vent at the back of the range that has hot air coming out of it. (Bosch Benchmark Induction.) I just had it delivered. My quartz looks very white and with the white cabinets, I would like a different look for the backsplash.I talked to a couple of installers that really didn't want to try that. Any advice? I really want to keep the condo.

• gtdj519
    last year

Since your by rhe beach, what about a really pale blue backsplash?

• gtdj519
    last year

Similar to this tilebar portmore . they have ither colors too, but I thought of blue

• Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

I really like that. I have a second choice that is similar to that. I like the neutrals. I was thinking I could bring color in with other accessories. You can see the beach and water from our living room and dining room. So there is a lot of blue.

• makmartell
    last year

Try lots and lots of samples. (I am confused that in two weeks you went from ”selling it now” to ”really want to keep it”.)

Elaine _M thanked makmartell
  • Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

makmartell We closed on the condo January 2021. Another condo owner raved about her contractor and showed me his work in her condo. She introduced us and I hired him in November to replace the cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms,. paint and tile bathrooms. The cabinets were pressed wood from 1981 and they were crumbling pieces on the counter in the kitchen,He was supposed to start in January. I ordered new vanities for the bathrooms and new kitchen cabinets. Vanities were delivered in January for him to be able to do the bathrooms. The kitchen cabinets were delivered in March. He kept saying two weeks. I will be there in two weeks. I had paid him 5K to do the kitchen he quoted at 3500. Then he took the old cabinets out. He did come in long enough to tear out the kitchen cabinets. No doors on them. He said they were all installed except over the refrigerator. I decided to go to the beach. He didn't have any top cabinets up. He came and installed them, but he did not put the doors on them. I told him i would pay him to put the doors on. They were on a bed in the condo. Another 750 and he put the doors up without knobs or pulls. Long story short i hired someone else. He made a bigger mess.. We now have someone we hired from NC to go to SC to finish it. I haven't been able to use it this year at all. It has been a construction zone. I was ready to give it up. I want the condo, I just want to get it useable. Not all people are honest. This NC contractor has got more done in less than a week. I know too much informations. After spending over 11k I was pretty frustrated.

• Kari Lindsay
    last year

As far as the bar, sheet rock is not super durable…and it's going to take some kicks. Some kind of paneling will stand up to kicks better. I agree with the comment that shiplap on its way out… but that is in urban homes… ship lap is classic at the beach! I assume the layout of your condo is the typical living, dining, kitchen, in one space. Whatever your colour scheme it affects all those spaces. Do you have a scheme in mind?

Elaine _M thanked Kari Lindsay
  • Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

Kari Lindsay The new contractor is working on the condo now. He did this shiplap. I think he did a great job. The condo is still a work zone. I am having it all painted Snowbound a white by Sherwin Williams. The contractor also installed flooring in the bathrooms. The vanities I bought have legs on them. The flooring was 3 layers thick oround the original vanity. So we had to replace the flooring. He has installed this tile in two of the bathrooms.

• Kari Lindsay
    last year

The shiplap looks great!!! The shiplap on the bump out has added a lot of texture and visual interest. Normally I am not a fan of continuing using the counter top material up the wall in an all white kitchen, but in this kitchen I wouldn't be opposed . If quartz is not doable a white subway or picket tile with white or very light gray grout layed in a traditional horizontal brick pattern as to not compete with the lines of the shiplap.

Elaine _M thanked Kari Lindsay
  • arand60
    last year

If you go with the same material used for the countertop it's too bland. Yes it will match but you already have white cabinets and white countertops so you should use an accent backsplash. Nothing crazy just add color, yellow or blue something with a pattern have fun

• Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

Kari Lindsay, I didn't think about that! The countertop is very plain and everything is white. I wanted to do a herringbone with medium gray grout. But I didn't think about the pattern of the shiplap! Thank you for mentioning that! The herringbone does have a lot of pattern in it!

• Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

arand60 I don't really want to continue the quartz up the wall. It is a very subdued pattern. It looks white from a distance. I did have it priced though. I have an induction slide in range that has a vent at the back where the heat comes out. That would be right next to the quartz. They warn you about appliances getting too hot on the quartz. I would be afraid it would melt it. I like neutrals. Your kitchen is pretty. I thought about gray subway. I have also thought about a blue subway. i have a window seat and am trying to decide what other colors to use in the condo. I need a cushion and throw pillows. So many decisions! I don't want it to be too beachy.

• lisaliberty
    last year

Kari Lindsay is right. You're best to keep it simple and avoid competing with the shiplap. And bearing in mind the possibility of selling, white or a very versatile neutral subway tile with very subtle grout is best. You or your buyer will personalize further to suit without effort.

• Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

Ladies , What is your opinion on this one with the shiplap?

• Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

This one

• Ali Woods
    last year

My brother and I renovated our parent’s condo for an estate sale and this renovation made it sell for a very high price.

Elaine _M thanked Ali Woods
  • gtdj519
    last year

The cloe tile is vert pretty and in high demand i have sampels of it here; varying shades of white and grey so it gives an ombre, variated tone I am 90% sure i am going ro use it in my upcoming kitchen remodel i just want to wait unril counters are installed to know for sure.

• RedRyder
    last year

The shiplap makes a statement. Doing the subway tile is a good idea so you don’t have it competing. To make it more modern, use a larger tile than the standard. 4x8” looks very nice. I used that when we update the kitchen in my old house to sell it. But it was super pretty as well. It was installed just normal horizontal offset.

I think using the quartz as the backsplash will be too plain. And yes, there is the heat aspect of it. Can you post a further back photo of the kitchen so far? A simple blue tile might add some beachy pizzazz but it’s hard to tell from the current photos.

• Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

@RedRyder I am not at the beach. I am about 3.5 hours from it. It is still a mess. But it is finally coming together. I don’t think the trim is up above the cabinets. I might have one before the shiplap.

• Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

Ali Woods It does look very nice. Love the floor and lights too!

• Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

gtdj519 I need to order some samples. I am pretty sure I am giong to go with that one. I was looking on Instagram and it looks whiter there than it does on other sites. But it looks like it would be nice with the shiplap.

• gtdj519
    last year

I jave 8 samples here of the white and they are varying shades. none of the sample peoces i have are a stark white. i think they are a very oretty blend of whtes , some loght grey mixed in . i think once all tiels are up, you het the full effect of all the shades blended together ; whcih from what i have seen pics from are very pretty . they also have a blue mkx in case you decode to go with a blue instead of neitral they are both lpretty and i rhink or will look nkce when you are all done

Elaine _M thanked gtdj519
  • lisaliberty
    last year

@Elaine _M The Chloe subway tile you chose in the variegated whites 2.5 x 8" is an excellent choice for your space. It'll work beautifully with your countertops (obviously, as pic confirms!), cabinets and shiplap. The slightly "wavy" surface quality will be a nice contrast from the shiplap as well. Plenty of interest in the kitchen, keeping accent colors entirely open, easy to switch out seasonally if desired, for you OR a new owner, now or down the road. Do please post pics of finished project!

Elaine _M thanked lisaliberty
  • Kari Lindsay
    last year

The cloe tile is pretty I like the wavyness. My preference would be for a wider tile, 2.5 inches may be a lot of horizontal lines against the lines of the shiplap. Because the shiplap was carried up the wall of the bumpout the shiplap became the boss. I saw your comment about using blue or gray tile. That would be pretty, then I would bring the color (maybe lighter or deeper shades of it) into the living and dining areas.

• Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

@Kari Lindsay I am thinking about doing the neutrals with light blue and white. A sofa a cream color and the window seat cream or off white but also think about light blue in the rooms. It seems like so many do navy, aqua and coral. I have to buy a new cushion and pillows for the window seat. I love the help I get on here. I want it to loook pretty. I talked to a designer that said she liked the 2.5x8 size better for backsplashes. Wouldn't it be less noticieable to have smaller tiles with matching grout than a bigger tile??? Yes, I agree the shiplap is really the boss. I think it will be noticed more than anything in the condo. He did a great job on it!

• lisaliberty
    last year

Agreed, Elaine, in your space, you're absolutely best to keep the grout matching that wavy white tile.

• Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

@gtdj519, @lisaliberty I ordered 8 sample pieces from the company and they all look the same. is the variation so slight that I am not noticing? I did put one of them next to my cabinets at home and it was definitely whiter than those. At home I have Alabaster. It is more of an off white. At the beach they are white. The tiles were on sale $1 each but shipping made it $21.88

• gtdj519
    last year

Hi

i guess the samples they send vary in tones. the samples that i have are similar ; didnt get any of the darker greys, but i do see the variations when i put it next to bright white. when you out all the variations together, is when you will see it best. There are 8 tones in all i believe. i havent gotten my order yet, but i do like what i see from the samples.

• gtdj519
    last year

these are the samples i have. i olaced them up against the bright white wainscoting in my dining room so toy can see the tone variarions against a true white. hooe this hellps yoy out a bit! I dont have my kitchen cabinets refinished yet, but they will be white this can give an idea of how they look against white

• Elaine _M
    Original Author
    last year

Great! That is perfect!!

• RedRyder
    last year

I like how they look in that photo.

Elaine _M thanked RedRyder
  • gtdj519
    last year

Thet seem really pretty we will be taking down the wall between our kitchen and dining room, and thinkinf of using them as our kitchen backsolash. hopefully they will work with ojr counterips, because thet look will also look really nice with our dining room, which will now be open and imcorporated with our kitchen. i think they will be pretty in Elaines current remodel hope they work

for you Elaime !

• kchamousis
    last year

We have the Cloe white tiles for our backsplash and love them. The slight variation in color makes it really pretty and I love that they aren’t flat.

Elaine _M thanked kchamousis
  • gtdj519
    last year

Thats pretty Kchamousis what color/ make of grout?

• kchamousis
    last year

gtdj519, Looking thru the emails and texts from my tile gal, I can only find the color name … Bright White. I did like you and llned them up on my counter thruout the kitchen; my husband would say he was afraid to close the back door in case they all fell over!

• gtdj519
    last year

Thank you kchamois …

it looks very pretty

• Elaine _M
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Close up view of the Bedrosian Tile in Bright White. You could not see the variation until it was randomly placed on the wall. I am pleased with the result.

• Elaine _M
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Bedrosian's Cloe 2.5" x 8" Ceramic Tile in White The quartz is Cambria Smithfield. I have a clear cutting board on the top. The close up picture above shows the gray in it better.

• makmartell
    5 months ago

That turned out really beautifully! Nicely done.

Elaine _M thanked makmartell