SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mr_bill_m

Question for you Hoyaholics

Bill M.
last year

I was wondering how each of you manages your collection. For instance, I have a number of hoyas, most are no ID's (although I'm working on ID'g them) but they grow well. Too well in fact. Some of the trailing ones, like lacanosa, and bella are in small hanging pots I made by stringing wire through some 4" pots. These are relatively easy to manage, except I always need to find a space to hang them. Fortunately, they are rather small and don't trail a lot yet. Some of the thin leaved ones, like odorata and multiflora I let grow as tall as they like, however the multiflora had to be chopped and propped due to root mealies. The top I propagated and it has rooted and is again producing blooms.

That being said, some of the others have very long vines. I hate to cut them, in fact I don't. What I can train on a makeshift trellis I do, but a number of them are just growing wild. They bloom, and because of that, I don't cut them down.

My question is what do all of you do in regards to training your plants and keeping the collection in check? I should cut them up I guess, but for some personal reasons I can't bring myself to do it. What is the consensus? Cut to keep manageable or just let nature take it's course?

Thoughts and or ideas? Thanks....

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022