SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jencinitas

Is my quartzite fabricated as poorly as I fear?

jencinitas
last year
last modified: last year

Hi all,

I could really use your input and feedback with out kitchen counters, setting my expectation, and thoughts about what/if to do about things.

So I won't even show the pictures of the sink area b/c (even though the fabricator installed it with a terrible mismatched seam without saying anything after break it) it is being taken out and redone.

Where I am struggling is with the rest of the fabrication and especially the 12 foot island. So we knew that a seam would be necessary and purchased 3 slabs, two of which are bookened, to make that happen. I asked numerous times to approve the templates prior to beginning but that was never done.

My concerns are;

The layout of the island is awkward, especially the mismatched center oval thing. I would not have signed off on this. Also the seams themselves are highly visible and poorly matched.

Second, the mitered edges all around the island are chipped with tons of poorly matched epoxy and even what looks like some chips to try to fill it in. There are also so many places where the stone looks like it didn't quite break off but was damaged in the fabrication process. Our GC is saying that isn't the best ever job but is largely blaming the stone and offering to have a different fabricator try to make the edges look better. Side note, our GC is reputable and well regarded in our area meaning that we didn't hire a handyman level contractor and expected a high level of regard to detail and our costs are inline with that expectation, or so I thought.

I keep hoping that this will fade away as what I notice when I walk into the kitchen but that has yet to happen and it is what I notice and gives me that sinking stomach feel.

What do you all think?

Thank you

Comments (19)