SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_734863937

Sad Bucida Buceras and Jacaranda

HU-734863937
last year
last modified: last year

I bought a Bucida Buceras and a Jacaranda for indoor use. They came and were both thriving for months.

I always thought of repotting them in larger pots which I did and they seemed fine. After 3 days I had to leave the country for a week and I put my boyfriend in charge of the plants.

He said he had watered them after a few days and the soil were a bit too wet when I came back. But…!

The leafs on the Bucida Buceras is dried up and falling off, the tree is still green under the stem but it looks very sad and no new leafs in sight. The Jacaranda is loosing its ferns and is going limp.

Is it because of the new soil?! I used “Ocean forest potting soil”. Or is it because they didn’t get enough water at first and then over watered perhaps?

Any help is appreciated!

Comments (11)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

It may very well be that neither is suited for indoor use. Plants that grow freely or easily outdoors in your climate are very unlikely to do well under indoor conditions.

• HU-734863937
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thank you for your response. They were both super happy and growing well for months after I got them so thats not the case.

• HU-734863937
    Original Author
    last year

I know these are not houseplants. But I have friends and know other people who has them inside their homes for several years now. As long as they have been grown for indoor use and get enough sun they will be fine. But thank you for your opinion. I have contacted the nursery and hope to get some expert help on the matter.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

Maybe overwatered and lack of air to the roots?

And jacarandas grow into pretty large trees. I'm not familiar with the other, unless it has a common name?

And when you repotted, were you careful to keep the soil at the same level on the trunks?

• HU-734863937
    Original Author
    last year

Perhaps! I did not pot them very low, pretty much the same as before. Just a larger pot. The bucida is also called a Shady lady or a black olive tree :)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year

You didn't say if you did but repotting trees when in full leaf can cause transplant shock, with symptoms similar to what you show.

• HU-734863937
    Original Author
    last year

I definitely did.. Do you know if they would be able to recover?

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    last year

If the plants have stored enough energy in the roots, they certainly could send out some new leaves, after a while. Don't over water and see that it gets enough light. A lot might depend on what time of year it is there.

• chiggins1234
    last year

How is your shady lady doing? I have a similar situatuon right and am hoping my tree can recover from what I think is transplant shock. It was growing so well before I repotted it!

• dirtygardener
    last year

Jacaranda is deciduous. It loses its leaves every winter, and it doesn't like to have its roots constricted, unless you are going to make it into a bonsai. Black olives actually like to be dry, but they also like full sun. They are true tropicals that can only grow outside in zone 10b or above, which is why they grow wild in the keys. Once a container plant's roots dry out, they struggle with absorbing water if they get too wet and can get root rot very easily. These are two pretty tough trees, so I think they'll be fine. You do need to add some perlite to the soil so they can get better drainage, though.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County