SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jordan_swogger

Advice on washing machine repair vs. replacement

We have an 18 year old KitchenAid (Whirlpool) frontloader that we recently moved from its original location in order to place it to the left of the clothes dryer. While moving it, we discovered its drain hose was starting to crack, so we replaced it. Everything seems to work aside from the fact that there is a lot of water still remaining in the drain hose after the cycle completes (not really in the tub, as far as we can see). We didn't install the washer, so we are seeking advice as to what is considered a normal amount of water in the hose. I know it's impossible to fully purge the water and some will likely always sit in the "dip" of the hose, but in our case nearly the entire hose has water remaining in it after a cycle. I feel like this is abnormal. I've attached a picture showing the waterline at the clear drain connector in the back of the machine, and the water goes all the way up the hose nearly to the curve where it goes into the standpipe. I figured the drain pump may be worn out, so I ordered that part, but I'm hesitating on replacing it and wondering if it's worthwhile. Since sales are going on for July 4th, we're also weighing whether a $160 part with potentially no improvement is a good investment versus just purchasing a new one.

So essentially we're trying to determine: is that much water left in the hose normal (and if not, would the new pump help or is there another cause/solution?), and whether it's wise to attempt a repair on an 18 year old machine versus getting a new one (that may only last us 10 years from what I read, haha).

Please see below for the waterline picture and an overall picture of the setup, if that helps. Thank you so much!

-Jordan

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County