SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_391705222

Flaking/cracking new paint on interior walls

I need help with an issue I had after painting my dining room walls. The walls were previously painted with regular latex Ben Moore paint. I then primed them with some Ben Moore multi-purpose primer. I then painted the walls with Farrow and Ball regular estate emulsion paint. I used the same primer and paint (although different cans/colors) in a couple other rooms in my house. No other rooms had this issue.

As soon as I painted the walls in the dining room, I noticed they started to form thousands of little cracks all over- like littles scales (I will include photos). I tried sanding and repainting and the same thing happened. Finally, I was fed up and noticed one corner was starting to peel up, so I pulled on it and discovered all the layers of paint were coming off at the same time. I ended up scraping all of it off one section of wall and it revealed what looks like cardboard. Our house was built in 1912 I believe, but this might be a new addition? I have no idea what to do next. Does anyone have any ideas how how I can fix this wall so that paint will adhere to it and not flake off? I have a feeling I will need to follow suit with scraping off all the paint in this room and starting over, but I don't know what I need to do to treat this surface in order to paint. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)