SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Stains In, Stains out!

petalique
last year
last modified: last year

This was originally intended for Lars who, made some luscious solid color linen napkins with a contrasting satin stich edge. Just lovely.

Someone commented if he would not want to break into tears is a guest or anyone caused them stains. Lars, the cool, relax guy and graciuos host responded that he would take it in stride, toss out any napkin that did not come clean from the laundy.

But, there’s no need to toss. I am a quasi stain queen. My mom could be nearly OCD.

I’m not that fanatical, more ”junior scientist” and I have experimented.

For pigmented stains such as mustard or red wine, use an non-chlorine bleach such as Oxyclean (tm). Spray it on the stained. I have the fabric on a hard non-porous surface such ad stainless steel or a plate. Use ample solution, Don’t rub or abrade the fabfric, but take your fingers and repeatedly tap your finger on the solution-soaked stain. Wait about 30 minutes before laundering or hand washing. But, avoid letting the fabric dry before washing. Oxyclean also comes in a powder and you can easily make a wet paste with the powder and water.

For an oily stain, (a bit more challenging) I have good results with either ”Shout” or Clorox pre wash (non-chlorine). Spray on stained fabric (cotton?), again having the fabric on a non-porous, washable surface. Used your fingers to tap tap tap or drum the solution into the stain. Avoid rubbing or stretching. After about 30 minutes, wash fabric before it dries out. If It dries out, just begin again.

I wash carefully, on gentle setting or by hand. Hang to dry. Repeat if stain is not totally gone (to your satisfaction).

Pigment stains are usully much easier than oily stains. For one, you can see if the stain is going away. It’s rewarding! Try putting ball park mustard on a piece of fabric. Wash, let dry, then try the oxyclean like therapy. Fun.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County