SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rubyclaire1

Seriously...Covid?

rubyclaire
last year

In a perfect example of lousy timing, I tested positive for covid yesterday. Mild symptoms - like a sinus thing. Telemed appointment with my MD yesterday and decided to hold on the Paxlovid unless my symptoms worsen. I tried to find old threads where others here have been striken but I must be impaired as I could only find one.

This of course interferes with my caretaking role with my sister when she is discharged (some wonder if I willed this on myself!) so that is the primary timing issue. No clue where I managed to get it - hospital, hotel, restaurant grocery store - but it really doesn't matter. Grateful to be vaxxed and boosted with treatment options if needed.

I am typically just fine puttering around the house but now that I can't go out of the house I'm like a caged animal. And I don't feel 100%. So...what worked best for those of you who were symptomatic with sinus/cough symptoms and is there any reason why I should reconsider the Paxlovid? And how did you spend your LONG days?

Comments (38)

• lonestar123
    last year

I have heard that you need to take the medicine within the first few days for it to work.

rubyclaire thanked lonestar123
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

No advice rubyclaire, but sending you thoughts of healing and hope for a quick recovery!

rubyclaire thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Jilly
    last year

Aww, Ruby! You’re having to deal with so much stress right now, I’m sorry.

I hope your symptoms stay mild and you recover quickly. ❤️

rubyclaire thanked Jilly
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

So sorry, Ruby. That is a lot to deal with considering your sister. i hope this goes by quickly and you find a way to entertain yourself.

rubyclaire thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • maddielee
    last year

Sorry.

I started Paxlovid within a few hours of testing positive. My fever was gone after the first dose. Never had ’typical’ covid symptoms during the 5 day treatment. Tested negative a day, maybe 2, after the treatment ended.

DH did not take the Paxlovid, he had the symptoms for too long before he was tested. Although he stayed positive much longer then I did his symptoms were never godawful. His vaccinations protected him as expected.

Get well quickly.

rubyclaire thanked maddielee
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    last year

I had a hint of symptoms on Monday, tested negative and then woke up Tuesday feeling worse and tested positive. If tomorrow is not better, I may resonsider the Paxlovid if my MD thinks it might still be helpful. I do not have a fever - just that crappy sinus head feeling.

• Feathers11
    last year

I'm really sorry to read this, but I'm glad you're not feeling worse. Take care.

rubyclaire thanked Feathers11
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I took Nyquil IIRC and mostly slept and binge watched bad TV. Feel better!

rubyclaire thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • petalique
    last year

Sorry about your getting Covid. Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

rubyclaire thanked petalique
  • blfenton
    last year

I am so sorry. A friend had it and she felt like a bad cold and just went with it. She was tired so lots of sleeping and binge watching tv. The one thing she did do and said she shouldn't have is that the minute she tested negative again she went out and did all of her normal things again and wound up feeling exhausted for two days. So ease back into life after.

rubyclaire thanked blfenton
  • Fori
    last year

Aww that's too bad, especially the timing. Take it easy!

If you're really bored while getting over it, Steam is having its summer sale now.

rubyclaire thanked Fori
  • DLM2000-GW
    last year

Yes that timing is particularly annoying but we all know there is never a good time to have activities interrupted. Medicated or not, give in to it and let your body heal - the fatigue was the worst part for my DH. Hope your recovery is fast.

rubyclaire thanked DLM2000-GW
  • lucillle
    last year

I hope your symptoms do not worsen and that you recover with no lasting effects. Take it easy and try to rest.

rubyclaire thanked lucillle
  • terezosa / terriks
    last year

I got it while I was in Portugal. I had my second booster 2 weeks before I left. Other than one day when I was very fatigued and slept and slept and slept, my symptoms were like a minor cold. I bought some over the counter cough medicine, but I didn't take anything else - not even a Tylenol.

rubyclaire thanked terezosa / terriks
  • czarinalex
    last year

So sorry to hear you got covid. Hope you have a quick recovery. I'm stuck inside most days with my leg immobilized. I read a lot, play games on my tablet and try not to fall asleep.

rubyclaire thanked czarinalex
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks all. Terriks - you got covid AND broke your arm in Portugal?? Yikes.

czarina - Did i miss something about your leg?

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

Yes, I got Covid AND broke my arm in Portugal. It was definitely a trip to remember!

When I was in the hospital I was glad that I already had had Covid and didn't have to potentially deal with being sick at the same time.

rubyclaire thanked terezosa / terriks
  • Marlene Oliver
    last year

Terriks! Really???? OMG! I hope you’re home safe and sound now.

rubyclaire…yep…it always seems to happen at the most inopportune time. btw….I know it’s been awhile but I hope your DH is doing well. No need to answer. Just wanted to let you know I have been thinking about you and your DH.

rubyclaire thanked Marlene Oliver
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    last year

Gosh terriks - talk about bad timing!!

Thanks for asking Marlene - he is doing fine and his quarterly scans have been good.

• salonva
    last year

Sorry to read this rubyclaire. I hope it continues to be uneventful and "just" bad timing. Hope you heal well.

rubyclaire thanked salonva
  • Kswl
    last year

I am also sorry to hear this Ruby and hope it is just a minor inconvenience. Thankfully you are vaxxed and quarantining which is all you can do unless your doctor prescribes medication. DH and I still have not had it. I probably should not have typed that, now looking up scanning the sky for that house that's about to fall on us.

rubyclaire thanked Kswl
  • Tina Marie
    last year

I'm so sorry Rubyclaire and hope you are over it soon! We are faced with a bit of a dilemma too, regarding Covid. My husband's uncle, with whom he is very close, is going into hospice care. He, his wife and oldest daughter (who has been staying with them a good bit) all had Covid two weeks ago or longer. The uncle was hospitalized this week, not eating, not drinking, sleeping and has pneumonia, although not the pneumonia associated with Covid. He has yet to have a negative test. My husband is adamant to see his uncle once he gets home and hospice is in place (maybe as soon as tomorrow). I guess we will just have to mask up. The daughter stayed with him on the Covid isolation floor - she had to mask up, gown up, wear goggles, etc. It's so sad.

rubyclaire thanked Tina Marie
  • bbstx
    last year

Ruby, bless your heart. Can you do some meditation to relieve your stress or some in-home exercise? Whatever works for you. I totally identify with now that you can’t do something, it is all you want to do. I call it ”the perversity of human nature.” When I was pregnant with DD, I got put on 24 hours bed-rest. Although I had been wishing for some down time to rest, once I had to rest, all I wanted to do was not rest. SMH!

DD, DSIL, and the kiddos were supposed to be here this weekend. DD called and canceled. Littlest’s swim teacher has tested positive. While I’m disappointed that I can’t see them, I would hate to miss my cruise.

I have to have a COVID test next week on Thursday for my cruise next Saturday. I’m hunkering down until Thursday. I’m trying to figure out how to get by without going to the grocery. It is going to make for some interesting meals.

rubyclaire thanked bbstx
  • Bestyears
    last year

Ugh, so sorry, rubyclaire, there are definitely some particularly bad times to catch it. We met with DH's pulmonologist yesterday, who works in Houston Med Center. He advised us to double down for the next two-to-three weeks. Said hospitalizations are up as is the rate of infection in the community, and all by quite a bit. Tina Marie, from what I've read, there are some people who will continue to test positive for up to six months, but they are not infectious after the first ten days. Something like 95% of people aren't infectious after five days, and the rest are okay after ten days. So the uncle is likely not infectious. Of course, I don't have a medical degree, just passing on something I looked into when I was confused.

rubyclaire thanked Bestyears
  • Tina Marie
    last year

Thank you @Bestyears. The dr's theory is because he had chemo in early May, his immune system was very low and he just can't shake it. He has not had terrible symptoms, just can't get over it. In this case, we will just have to mask up, etc. and make the best of it, if we do choose to visit. As of today he is not very responsive at all, so we will have to decide what to do. : (

rubyclaire thanked Tina Marie
  • honibaker
    last year

I had Covid for the first time 6/5 - 6/12. Like you, it felt like a crappy head cold (starting with a painful sore throat for 3 days). I did not test positive until day 5, so Dr. would/could not prescribe the Paxlovid. I'm glad i didn't get the drug, since now Covid frequently returns after testing negative for those who took Paxlovid. Dr Fauci said (today I believe) that he is now testing positive days after his Covid case resolved, and he feels terrible (he took Paxlovid)

https://news.yahoo.com/fauci-says-experiencing-rebound-covid-153355839.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Zicam Natural seemed to help by clearing my head, but only for one day. Stuffiness returned..

Thankful for vaccinations and boosters, and less dangerous variant (Omicron BA4 or 5, I believe)

Oh...a netti pot with saline solution should help, if you have one.

rubyclaire thanked honibaker
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    last year

kswl - I know - I was feeling pretty invincible that I had remained covid-free for more than two years. But I also figured it was a matter of time since we have gotten a little too carefree. And it was.

Tina - what a difficult situation. I hope your husband is able to see his uncle. Yes - time for that N-95.

bbstx - I know, funny how that works! Sorry you won't be able to see your grandchildren but wise to be cautious. Fingers crossed everyone stays healthy and you have a wonderful trip!

Bestyears - yes, probably a good time to be extra cautious. I didn't realize that the metro area where my sister lives and where I was last week was having a spike in cases.

honibaker - I just read that about Fauci and his rebound infection. It sounds like he took another course of Paxlovid, too. Thanks for the saline solution reminder - I don't do netti pots (can't stand the sensation!) but do use saline spray.

Stay well everyone and thanks for the help.

• pudgeder
    last year

Another wish for a speedy recovery!

rubyclaire thanked pudgeder
  • gsciencechick
    last year

Sorrry, @rubyclaire, I hope you are on the mend soon. I also had the mild sinus symptoms. I did get the Paxlovid because of my previous TIA and for being overweight. IDK if I really ”needed” it based on mild symptoms but I felt I should because of this risk. . I recovered failry quickly and did not have a Paxlovid rebound. DH had the sinus symptoms, too, and did not qualify for Paxlovid because he has no risk factors. His recovery took longer to test negative and he had a leftover sinus infection which took forever go to away.

rubyclaire thanked gsciencechick
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    last year

@gsciencechick - I really debated the Paxlovid so hope I made the right decision. My symptoms today are the same but milder. Hopefully, that will continue until it is gone and no sinus infection develops. I haven't had one in a long time and they are the worst. Glad you both are feeling better!

• Arapaho-Rd
    last year

ruby, sorry to hear Covid hit. You and your sister continue on my prayer list!

rubyclaire thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • OutsidePlaying
    last year

DH and I had Covid back in early April. He got it first and I’m sure I got it from him. Our GP recommended against Pavloxid because of some of the side effects so we didnt do anything except the usual cold symptom OTC meds (Mucinex primarily). He is 76 now (May) and I am 73 so maybe our age had something to do with it, although he tells us we are some of his healthiest patients.

My symptoms were very mild and cold-like. DH had more of a cough than I did for a few days and then it was done. We just rested and felt a little more tired than usual. We had not had our 2nd booster yet when we contracted it.

Sorry Covid caught up with you and hope you have a mild case.

rubyclaire thanked OutsidePlaying
  • petalique
    last year

Rubyclaire, how are you feeling today? Better, I hope.

PS Did anyone read about Dr. Anthony Fauci’s rebound from Pavloxid?

rubyclaire thanked petalique
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    last year

@petalique - I am feeling better - back in the day I would be working and going about my regular activities based on how I feel. Not 100% for sure but definitely better.

I believe someone previously mentioned Dr. Fauci experiencing the rebound effect.

• PRO
    MDLN
    last year

It's not symptom severity that determines the need for antiviral treatment. It's the risk of developing severe disease based on age, risk factors, and existing medical conditions.

from CDC: Paxlovid (nirmatrelvir; ritonavir) is an oral antiviral that reduces risk of hospitalization and death for patients with mild-to-moderate COVID-19 who are at risk of disease progression and severe illness.

Treatment should be initiated as soon as possible and within 5 days of symptom onset among persons eligible to receive the treatment:

rubyclaire thanked MDLN
  • rubyclaire
    Original Author
    last year

@MDLN - thank you for posting that important information. My GP and I did discuss my relative risks and my age does make me eligible and put me in a higher risk category, I elected to wait and see. If I don't experience continued improvement tomorrow, I may request an Rx be called in - I will be nearing the end of the 5 day period since my symptoms started.

• PRO
    MDLN
    last year

PAXLOVID™ is an investigational SARS-CoV-2 protease inhibitor antiviral therapy, specifically designed to be administered orally so that it can be prescribed at the FIRST SIGN OF INFECTION or at first AWARENESS OF AN EXPOSURE, potentially helping patients avoid severe illness which can lead to hospitalization and death. PF-07321332 is designed to block the activity of the SARS-CoV-2-3CL protease, an enzyme that the coronavirus needs to replicate.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022