SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

What do I do with all this spinach?!

Jilly
last year
last modified: last year

I got a Fresh delivery yesterday, and since I eat salad every day, ordered baby spinach and other types of lettuce.

I didn’t pay attention to the details of the container of spinach, not realizing it would be the size of a small suitcase. It was on sale, so.

There’s no way I can eat all this before it turns into refrigerator sludge.

WWYD?

To show the size of this, I compiled some pictures for you:

Next to the big TV:

On the game table:

It’s bigger than a Tabby cat:

Almost the size of my toaster:

((That black-out on the cutting board is my name. My dad had it custom made for me. :)))

This is a lot of spinach! Plus, I got other lettuce, too! I have a mere number of days to deal with this.

Comments (61)

• Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Ok, I feel better about this. :D

I do eat it on most sandwiches and in pasta dishes, too. Love.

I just dislike cooking (and even eating much) in summer. That’s why I’m coming to your houses.

I can’t believe I forgot about a sandwich I love at our fav patio restaurant….

It has roasted portobello mushrooms, spinach, goat cheese, roasted red bell peppers,and a balsamic sauce. It’s so good. I might try to recreate it.

Another dish I love there is the grilled portobello Benedict.

“Grilled Portobellos topped with poached eggs, spinach, tomatoes, and pesto cream. Served with crisp Applewood smoked bacon.”

Took a pic a few weeks ago:

You’ve all inspired me, thank you!

• Ida
    last year

Do you have a heavy-duty blender, something like a Vitamix? If so, you could use the spinach as a base for green smoothies. We take big handfuls of spinach, add a bit of water, then combine with whatever fruit we have on hand. I like it with a bit of citrus, strawberries, and banana most often, but have thrown just about every conceivable fruit in there and it's always been delicious. Perfect for summer, especially when you chill it for a bit before drinking.

Jilly thanked Ida
  • Related Discussions

What do I do with all these tomatoes???

Q

Comments (1)
    I've kept tomatoes over winter and they do ripen but it can take weeks, months. The ones I grew had a different taste when they did ripen, kind of like tomato paste. Bigger kinds can get kind of tough veins inside too. It is temp related I think.
    ...See More

Hi y'all...and what do I do with this crazy thing?

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi Mike, nice to meet some other Okie plumie lovers! Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Somehow I just knew y'all were going to tell me to cut it into pieces. Yikes, I'm scared-lol. Should I try to make the cuts and root it now or should I do as Moonie suggests and wait until spring? I have to admit, I did go to Southwoods and buy another plumie last week. A miniature Divine this time. Didn't want to take the chance of growing another monster-lol. I've also been eyeballing a Scentsational in full bloom. It smells good enough to eat but I'm not ready to spend $80 on a plumie. I went back today just to smell it and talk myself out of it for the 3rd time. I'd love to have the name of any local nursery that sells plumies! Moonie, thanks for the advice ! I appreciate getting help from plumeria growers with more experience and know-how than I have.
    ...See More

what do i do with all thw green tomatoes?

Q

Comments (10)
    I'll soon be in the same boat, but thankfully it doesn't look like I'll be affected by the frost currently sweeping across the country. Regardless, at some point, the tomatoes will have to come in and, like you, my Sunsugar is quite prolific. I haven't had much luck ripening anything off the vine (tried apples in a paper bag without any luck), so would love to hear from others.
    ...See More

What do I do about this caterpillar thing inside my spinach leaves?

Q

Comments (1)
    They're called leafminers. You can squish them while still in the mine. Next time you plant spinach, put them in a different spot in the garden and immediately cover them (seeds or seedlings) with floating row cover. Loosely blouse the covering and secure the edges with rocks, soil or something similar. See https://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/images/programs/hgic/Publications/not_updated/GE004FloatingRowCoverrevised.sm.pdf
    ...See More
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Ida, I love smoothies! We did get a Bullet last year and DH would make me smoothies with spinach/fruits/protein powder. Think it’s time to bring it back out. :)

• blfenton
    last year

I put spinach in just about everything and I put all sorts of things on top of spinach. When you take a bunch out just either turn the box over and give it a shake or just mix it up with a couple of forks. It goes yecchy because of the weight of it onto the bottom layer never being able to breathe.

Jilly thanked blfenton
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Bl, great tip, thank you. :)

I had a gigantic salad for lunch today. :D

• petalique
    last year

If pressed for time and ideas, you can just saute or cook it down, add some salt and EVOO. Put it into a leftover/freezer dish, covered. Or pat into a bar or log. Freeze. Whenever you want some (omelette, soup, grilled sandwich, just removed from freezer and use a sturdy chef’s knife to cut off what portion you want, returning the rest to the freezer. The bit of salt or oil will keep it from freezing solid.

You can do this with mushrooms, greens, onions, peppers and so on.

Jilly thanked petalique
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, petal … I think I’ll do that with a lot of it, because I bought so many other kinds of lettuce this time I’d rather not save (Romaine, butter, etc). I don’t know what I was thinking!

• Feathers11
    last year

So many good ideas here, and I love your pics for size comparisons, Jinx! Haha!

Jilly thanked Feathers11
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

NOC slept through the whole thing. 😁

• PRO
    DETAILS design studio LLC
    last year

I would make a bunch of spinach pesto and freeze it in ready-to use sizes, perfect for eggs or stir-fry.

Jilly thanked DETAILS design studio LLC
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Love pesto, thanks, Details!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

I agree with Ida. Throw it in smoothies. I just use my regular and very old blender.

Jilly thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • pricklypearcactus
    last year

I find sauteing spinach with shallots in olive oil with a little salt to be delicious and it's unbelievable how much spinach cooks down. I also love it for a nutritious vegetable after dental work if my mouth isn't ready for solid veggies (a recent thing I had to deal with).

I know you said you already do salad, but I absolutely love this sweet potato and spinach salad with a tahini dressing. So yummy. The recipe calls for arugula, but I use either all spinach or a mixture of arugula and spinach.

https://www.loveandlemons.com/sweet-potato-salad-recipe/

I have not yet made this, but it's on my list. I have loved most recipes from this site and doesn't this Palak Paneer look delicious?

https://www.feastingathome.com/palak-paneer/

Jilly thanked pricklypearcactus
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Mmm, prickly, those look good, thank you!

Saving all these ideas. I’ve been in a real cooking rut for the past couple of years. Lost my mojo.

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

I know what you mean, Jinx. Nothing worse than being stuck in a cooking rut, not feeling inspired to make anything. Yet somehow needing to be motivated to cook and eat delicious but healthy foods. I know I've been in several ruts before.

• Bunny
    last year

Cheese and spinach soufflé. Truly it will cook down to nothing. Spinach, eggs, cheese are made for one another.

Jilly thanked Bunny
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Ahhh, soufflé! I want that right this minute. :D

My oven is ready to go, I spent about 15 hours cleaning it last week. I hate that job!

• Bunny
    last year

Jinx, I'll make you a soufflé (or several) if you will clean my oven. Not at the same time!!! Truth be told, I've never cleaned an oven.

Jilly thanked Bunny
  • nicole___
    last year

I get one of those once a week! $3.50. 🍒

I do this: Put a huge hand full of spinach on a dinner plate. Pour 1/4 cup of Mexican salsa on it, top with grated cheese. Cook in microwave for 1.5 minutes. Eat with a fork. It's low cal....very flavorful...full of iron. A few tortilla chips with it are good too.

Jilly thanked nicole___
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Mmm, nicole, saving that idea!

I love Ranch Style Beans (TM) and will use them for a meatless taco salad sometimes. Very tasty. I use spinach and Romaine instead of Iceberg.

• salonva
    last year

I love all these ideas and yes I definitely second or third or fourth that spinach does indeed cook down to zilch.

I really love nicole's recipe. I really like that idea (handful, microwave, grated cheese...yum!)

Jilly thanked salonva
  • olychick
    last year

I would make spanikopita; in fact, I buy that exact spinach to use so I don't have to clean bunches of it. But that may be more complex than you're thinking and filo has a little learning curve if you've not worked with it before. But instead, you could make it with just a top crust, like a pre-made frozen pie crust, rolled out to fit on top. The filling is easy, with eggs, feta, parmesan, green onions and spinach.
    You may have more than enough salad ideas, but my favorite with baby spinach is to first saute minced or chopped garlic (a fair amount) in a generous amt of olive oil. Watch it closely to keep from burning it. Put your spinach in a bowl and slowly pour the hot oil mixture over the spinach and toss to evenly distribute, so it's just lightly dressed. Works best if you have one person toss, one person pour, but I've done it solo. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, toss some more. Add salt and pepper and sprinkle with chopped, toasted hazelnuts, toss again. It wilts a bit and is a nice change from straight up fresh.

Jilly thanked olychick
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks, you two!

Oly, that sounds delicious, I appreciate the instructions!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    last year

I've been making green sludgies for years with the Nutribullets. Baby spinach and baby kale disappear around here quickly. I use a variety of fresh fruits such as apples, pineapple, peaches, blueberries, citrus, and strawberries. Water is often my preferred liquid but any kind of nut milk is good, as well. I'll add protein powder most of the time.

Jilly thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Rhizo, I use almond milk in ours, so good!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

And how did I fail to mention your photos? Hahahaha. Bet that was fun-it sure was for me looking at the comparisons, especially dear sleeping Tabby cat!

Jilly thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Cyn 😁

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

I also like to add spinach to my shakshuka. I usually add frozen spinach, but I think you could saute spinach with the onions and peppers and it would work great. I think it add more body and flavor to the sauce.

https://cookieandkate.com/foolproof-shakshuka-recipe/

• Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Prickly, I’ve never heard of that, looks so good!

• Eileen
    last year

A variation of oly's recipe is wilted spinach salad with hot bacon dressing. Spinach, bacon and red onion is in the salad and bacon grease is used to make a hot sweet and sour salad dressing, which you toss with the spinach to slightly wilt it. It's delicious!

https://www.thespruceeats.com/wilted-spinach-recipe-3061242

• smiling
    last year

One more option that hasn't been mentioned yet: dehydrate it for future use. You can dehydrate any other clean, raw leftover greens, many veggies, fruits, and herbs, too, to save space in the freezer. Usually, I go one step further and grind the dehydrated stuff into powder (Vitamix or Herb grinder). The powders can be used in so many ways, added to soups, stews, yogurt, smoothies, popsicles, or (my favorite) added to bread recipes. It's nice to expand the nutrition-value of my bread with powders, often mixed for variety. My homemade powders are shelf-stable in the pantry for about a year.

Growing up, it was drummed into us what a shame it was ever to waste any food. I learned to use many different preservation methods, so I recommend from experience that dehydrating and powdering is one of the easiest, most convenient, most space-efficient ways to keep food for future use.

Jilly thanked smiling
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Smiling, thank you for that very interesting idea! I’ve never tried that before. Love the idea for spinach and other things I normally throw out (past their date).

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

Oh wow I've never dehydrated greens before! Very cool. I have mostly explored dehydration for making my own backpacking food. So much more delicious and without preservatives or extra salt.

• bpath
    last year

One of my favorite foods is Stouffer's Spinach Souffle. I should learn how to make it, but it's so great to have one in the freezer, for when it's just right as dinner or a side.

Jilly thanked bpath
  • texanjana
    last year

Smoothies!

Jilly thanked texanjana
  • Bunny
    last year

bpath, their corn soufflé is also good. Soufflés are so easy and made with ingredients you usually have on hand.

Jilly thanked Bunny
  • cawaps
    last year

It may be too hot where you are to make soup, but this recipe uses 8 cups of fresh spinach.

https://www.weightwatchers.com/us/recipe/senegalese-peanut-stew-with-spinach-and-sweet-potatoes/5626a60b42366570049969b0

Otherwise, my favorite spinach salad has bacon, hard-boiled eggs, and avocado. Good with ranch or blue cheese dressing.

Jilly thanked cawaps
  • pudgeder
    last year

nekotish posted this recipe on an earlier thread.

It looks delish and somewhat easy.

Easy Greek Casserole

Jilly thanked pudgeder
  • Tina Marie
    last year

Another vote for smoothies. i keep frozen fruit in the freezer for smoothies, it helps thicken and they are nice and cold (no need to add ice as some people do).

Jilly thanked Tina Marie
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Have you run out of spinach yet?

Jilly thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Soon. 😄

• OutsidePlaying
    last year

I do love spinach salad. My favorite is with fresh strawberries, mandarin oranges, and feta with poppy seed dressing. You can use just about anything, and can mix it with a little romaine if you don’t like just raw spinach.

Smoothies pretty much like rhizo describes is my other use. And DH loves creamed spinach.

Jilly thanked OutsidePlaying
  • petalique
    last year

Jinx, just saying — if you haven’t been responsible with that package of spinach, you still have options:

Leave it in a closed up car in the Texas heat.

Put it a a pot of hot water with some fabric or clothing you want dyed green

Put it on your lawn on next to a plant that needs a boost

Jilly thanked petalique
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Petalique, that’s how they make canned spinach (Texas heat):

😁

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I was going to suggest sauteing it too with onions and garlic in olive oil...and a dash of nutmeg which I always add to greens to perk up the flavor. If you do that with half that package, you'll end up with 2 servings...it wilts to nothing so quickly. I also make a tortellini soup with spinach in it. Yum.

Jilly thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Mmm, Annie, I love tortellini soup!

• Jilly thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • HU-977136802
    last year

I'm overloaded with greens. y GI doctor said I should eat more greens. Well, ok I ate a lot anyway but now every day. I add them to many dishes. But I still can't keep up with my current harvest so I'm braising them and then freezing.

Jilly thanked HU-977136802
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

HU, GI issues here, too! Luckily, I’ve always loved greens anyway. :)