SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jally1

Attn: Non-diabetic connoisseurs - which Bubly seltzer?

jally
last year
last modified: last year

The reason this post is addressed to non-diabetics, is because I find that my palate tastes things differently than the diabetics I know. I like "sweet" flavor but not too sweet and not where its unnatural and leaves aftertastes such as with aspartame. I also don't like splenda as to me it tastes artificial. I'm what's called a super-taster a.k.a. epicure.

There seems to be so many opposite opinions as to which Bubly-seltzer is really good. Some claim the blackberry barely has taste, or else might compare it to ashes. Others love it. Some claim the Cherry-Bubly (or peach or other) tastes artificial. Others might have peach and cherry at the top of their list. So is there any Sparkling Bubly flavor that a majority likes?

Here's a clue (yardstick) re: my preferences:

I tolerate Vintage Wild-Cherry Seltzer best of all Vintage flavors. I tolerate the latter more than mandarin, and for sure more than lemon.

But note, too, that i like Blackberry TEA more than Raspberry TEA.

So, would I like the Bubly Blackberry Sparkling, or is it too much subtler than the Vintage-brand Cherry? Do you think I'd like Bubly Cherry better?

More Qs: Would I like the Bubly Pineapple, or is it too "sour-citrusy" rather than leaning toward sweeter-citrusy?

Would the Coconut-Pineapple version be better for someone sensitive like me? And how about the Strawberry and Watermelon Bubly flavors?

Comments (13)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    last year

I don’t know what any of these products are but have you considered making your own sparkling drinks using a sodastream and natural syrups, either bought or home made? I’d rather have small quantities of real sugar than any artificial sweetener. I can always taste them. And these drinks sound to be highly processed to come up with that array of ’flavours’.

• arcy_gw
    last year

Not necessarily Floral. There are many many sparkling waters out there--no calories--no artificial sweeteners. It seem like EVERYONE has an offering these days. Even Target go into the act. We are trying a few, searching for a favorite but for the most part buying which ever is cheapest this week. I know for sure the one I disliked was the one with the artificial sweetener but brands escape my brain.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Hard to beat lemon or lime squeezed into sparkling mineral water.

• Bluebell66
    last year

Agree with Zalco. I buy Minerauga mineral water in the international foods section of our grocery store and squeeze a little citrus into it. Minerauga is $1.78 for a large bottle that will last a few days and hasn't gone flat before I finish it.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year
    last modified: last year

Sorry I can't help with Bubly flavors. I've had only their unsweetened seltzer.

I don't buy any sweetened carbonated waters. We prefer unsweetened, but with various flavors added. I thought Bubly was unsweetened? I do check the ingredients, because 'sparkling water' seems to mean sweetened in some brands, versus 'seltzer' , which is unsweetened.

For instance, Aldi's store brand is Belle Vie, and it's labelled 'sparkling water', but it's just carbonated water with natural essences - no sweeteners. I buy mostly that and Walmart's 'Clear American ' sparkling water.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

Wow, you've got a lot of flavours we don't have hear. My favourites are grapefruit, and lime. I find the flavours more "true" than the sweeter fruits like strawberry and orange.

"I thought Bubly was unsweetened? I do check the ingredients, because 'sparkling water' seems to mean sweetened in some brands, versus 'seltzer' , which is unsweetened."

Actually, the difference is that "seltzer" doesn't have salt, whereas most "soda water" has salt. "Sparkling water is whatever they want it to be.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

"your own sparkling drinks using a sodastream"

I find the bubbles from SodaStream to be smaller than I like -- most canned carbonated drinks have larger bubbles. Smaller bubbles are traditionally supposed to indicate a better quality, but I prefer the feeling of the larger bubbles. I do sometimes mix Sodastream seltzer with flavoured balsamic vinegar; I only use Bubly cans when I need an easily transportable drink.

• Olychick
    last year

i love Spindrift flavors because they use a tiny bit of real juice instead of flavorings. Flavorings and essences always leave an oily residue in my mouth. But they aren’t sweet like those with artificial sweeteners, which I really don’t like. The sweetest is probably pineapple. Their flavors have from 5-15 calories per can. If you like their flavors, you could add a few grains of your preferred swetener.

• hounds_x_two
    last year

I am a Spindrift fan, too! That and plain Topo Chico with a squeeze of lime (and sometimes a shot of Tequila) are my favorites.

• Cherryfizz
    last year

I like the orange flavour of Bubly unsweetened sparkling water and also the Lime. The orange tastes like an orange pop minus the sweetness. I like the hardness of the carbonation in Bubly. If it wasn't for medication I would be drinking the grapefruit flavour

• olychick
    last year

Hounds have you tried the new Spindrift Blood Orange/Tangerine? It's really good!

• hounds_x_two
    last year

Yes! It is really good.

• sleeperblues
    last year

I hate Spindrift, I find it bitter I guess would be the word. We love Costco's brand of bubbly water, which used to be very economical. I think it was 8.00 for 36 cans. But every staple I used to buy at Costco has increased in price. My coffee when to from 9.00 to 14.00.