SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_468229179

Contractor attempted a leach field repair and made it worse! Help!

Rob N
last year

We have owned our home for almost 3 years now. Bought it from a couple whose kids had long-since moved out. There was a dark patch on the front lawn that he struggled to get to grow grass, but it was not wet. It is a very hilly sloped front yard and it does contain the leach field.

So my wife and our 3 kids move in and that patch by the following spring was wet and a new patch was starting. It was manageable but not good. The usual telltale signs so we called a few contractors. One of them suggested adding some lines and almost creating a half of a new field to add on, quoted about $15,000. The second contractor said that they could put in a new distribution box and put new lines in between the old ones and that the soil there was still good and useable - $8,500.

Within about a month of completion the front yard was trashed and we have multiple VERY wet spots and it is absolutely horrible compared to what it was, far worse.

He has suggested putting in a dry well for grey water but has not offered to try to fix anything and doesn't sound like he wants to make good on his screw up. I really think we have been lied to, I think he did something illegal, and I think we are going to have to do a whole new system.

Should I take him to court?

Comments (5)