FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_319168265

Half wall to define entryway?

Erin Barnes
last month

Would you put a half wall here to define the entryway?

We just had some dated columns removed and I’m debating whether I should leave it open or put a half wall between the entryway and what will eventually be the dining area (when the toys are gone 🤣). Or maybe a wall with architectural interest? The floors are being replaced with wood-look LVP.

Possible idea for wall attached.

Yay or nay?

Comments (29)

• Jennifer K
    last month

It would be easier to advise you if you posted an accurate measured floorplan. You can draw it on graph paper and take a picture, or use one of the online floor plan apps like https://floorplanner.com 

• kandrewspa
    last month

What style is your house? Can we see a picture of the front? I'm not sure that the wall you posted a picture of is the right style to go with the house. The front door, windows, fireplace and rug don't seem to all be the same style.

• Erin Barnes
    Original Author
    last month

@Jennifer K this is probably way more detailed than you wanted. Would I simplified version be better? I circled where the half wall would be.

• Erin Barnes
    Original Author
    last month

Oops. Too zoomed in.

• Erin Barnes
    Original Author
    last month

@kandrewspa I’m pretty style illiterate. Here’s the front.

• User
    last month

Yes, I think that is the right direction, with a half-wall with open shelving. Otherwise, there is a confusion about which way to go when you enter the house. I would mirror the wall that the sideboard is now on — in fact, I might put panels of mirrors, separated, plus at least one striking plant, and I would put some plants in the new shelving too, but leave it mainly open.

• Jennifer K
    last month

Half wall is a good move for all the reasons ital mover mentions.

• Erin Barnes
    Original Author
    last month

@ital mover, what do you mean by mirror the wall with the sideboard? You mean have it run parallel? What would you think of doing slats above the half wall?

• Erin Barnes
    Original Author
    last month

Kandrewspa, what style would you say the house is?

• User
    last month
    last modified: last month

Sorry for writing badly! First I was thinking I would put one very large thin framed mirror on that wall — but then I thought I might like 2 or 3 vertical panels of mirror instead. I thought reflecting some light in there would be nice and create a kind of infinity feel from the diring room.

I wouldn’t do slats that went all the way up to the ceiling. It would compete with the height of the fireplace — which ends in a peak — and also kind of fight the semi-arched windows. I think the open shelving that the photo shows has a pleasant airy feeling, nothing showy, just a nice atrium feel. If you have young children you won’t want ceramics or glass there, but I’m sure you can find charming simple lightweight things and some succulents or air plants. You don’t have to fill every cubby.

https://www.chairish.com/product/3346016/mid-20th-century-large-gourd-bowl-with-carved-horse-decoration

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

You mean something like your pic? (but w/the bottome portion actually there!)

I suppose you do something like these w/the bench seating. if you need it.

Otherwise I would just leave it open like it is.

(i'd for sure get a diff front door. that current one is to blah for that gorgeous front entry!)

Whether you do something like a wood door w/glass panels/sidelite, and a rustic entry console,

Or, any of the doors listed below in the pictures, painted or wood, could be an added improvement.

You could do all sorts of entry way ideas. (even this one has a partial wall)

you could do a board/batten trim portion on that wall w/a bench

or, I love this black shiplap wall w/a wood bench, runner, boho decor items. Or since you already have the black around the fireplace, just do the bench

Except I might do something cool w/the flooring at the entry. I'd weave in a cement tile, or something like this hex tile

and then do something on that wall

you can barely see the black/white cement tile, but I also like this for the entryway.

If you like more of a mid-century vibe:

and since you have that ceiling overhang, might be cool to do something on the ceiling
    this would be cool w/your black fireplace.

in the dining area, I'd do a tall tree in that corner since you won't be able to put anything else in front of the windows

you may want to do the fireplace surround like this. or something else for the white mantel surround?

what about extending the vertical shiplap over to the entryway side like shown in this pic,

bringing in a wood bench, the shelves, a sconce?

same idea. on this one I'd remove your white mantel surround and see if you could to an overlay w/a stucco, plaster, or a smooth coat. I think w/a nice wood beam and your black shiplap, this could look cool

what about removing the white, do a nice wood beam mantel, and maybe some black stone-basalt for the actual surround?

• Erin Barnes
    Original Author
    last month

Beth H. Wow! That all looks so amazing!!!

The first pic, yes. Half wall with or without the shelving on top. The demo is done and I need to decide what (if anything) I want to put there. Or just leave it open. The workers come back tomorrow. 😬

Honestly, I hadn’t even thought of replacing the door, but that’s a great suggestion. It is very blah right now. Could I paint the existing door or just go all new?

I like your ideas for changing the fireplace wall as well. I don’t love it. It’s too farmhouse-y for me and I’d say my style is more eclectic/boho.

The plant in the dining room is a great idea. I love it! And all the entryway design options look beautiful!

• Erin Barnes
    Original Author
    last month

Norwood architects, would that work with the fireplace wall aesthetically?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

He means something like this, and yes it work. I'd do vertical. you could do larger width slats if you like. (just image search 'wood slat room divider' and you'll see all sorts of ideas

(you could use a nice wood like walnut, stained oak in ebony, or paint grade wood painted black to match the FP)

• Erin Barnes
    Original Author
    last month

Beth H, whoa. That’s cool! What would you think if I did a half wall on the bottom and slats above? Or do you think all the way would be better?

• Erin Barnes
    Original Author
    last month

I don’t think I could do a bench since I’ve only got about 7” to work with but I love the look!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last month

I think a pony wall w/the slats on the upper half would work.

I also like the slats from floor to ceiling, like this one.

or, a closely space horizontal 1x1's like shown here:

You said you're doing a wood-look LVP? Why not real wood?

The only issue w/LVP is putting real wood right next to it. It just depends on the quality and the 'wood' look of your flooring.

It might be better to do a paint grade wood like poplar, and paint it black to match your fireplace.

examples of painted black ones

I found some other pics.

looks like a 1x2 or 1x4. Would you like them this size spaced? or do you like the closer spaced examples? Either way could be done atop a half wall. (but I think I like the floor to ceiling)

so you say you won't have enough room for a bench. what if you put the bench on the other side? like this one

imagine this is the half wall, and the other side gets this little bench or storage. (or it could be an open bench too)

Here's the half wall w/some 1x4's spaced a good distance apart. again, bench could be on the other side, or none at all

Kind of like this. I thought maybe you could do part of the bench under the window, but it might be too low. just depends how far out you want to come w/your slats or half wall.

you could do a horizontal black slat like this one, floor to ceiling, or half wall

Here's your basic pony wall w/the 1X1's wood slats about 3" apart. but notice how the natural wood blends perfectly w/the flooring.

You could paint yours black, or try something a little industrial looking like these grids atop the half wall.

This is cool too.

Or, modify the divider like this

and, if you're doing the slat wall, I really like this bench/decor combo for the other side of the slats. even if you did a half wall, you could easily make this bench and put it up against the half wall. The painted black portion ties into the fireplace

https://neatlyliving.com/index.php/2020/10/28/love-and-pride-for-my-diy-bench-first-solo-project/

Youre doing a diff front door, yes?

• User
    last month

Horizontal slats could clash with the fireplace and vertical slats could give you a caged in feeling, not just in the entry, but the dining area and the living space

• Erin Barnes
    Original Author
    last month

Thinking back on questions about the style of the house (which I’d never considered 🤦‍♀️), I think it leans Mediterranean (arched doorways and windows and columns - that are now gone.) I’m wondering if the slats would clash. What do you think?

What about something like this but arched at the top?

• Jennifer K
    last month

Simple is better. Make a half wall the same colour as your other walls. If you want to embellish that, add a black frame on top that echoes the shape of your windows.

• Erin Barnes
    Original Author
    last month

Jennifer K, when you say a black frame, do you mean with drywall? Wood? Shelves?

• eld6161
    last month

All the idea seem creative except you actually think of it in your home. The slates for me don't fit with the style of your home.

The easiest would be the pony wall, but that feels dated for me. Most people seem to be ripping out those type walls.

If you want to invest in more money than build a wall all the way up like your last photo.

• Jennifer K
    last month

You need to decide what the functions of the divider are. Here are some things it could do:

• define the entry
    • block or maintain view lines to the rest of the house
    • provide storage/display area
    • be a focal point or be unobtrusive

Once you've decided which of the functions you want, then you can decide on aesthetics.

• Erin Barnes
    Original Author
    last month

Jennifer K, defining the entryway would be the main reason I’d do something. It’s more of what would look best aesthetically. Like would it look better from a design perspective to have the entryway open or have more definition to it?

I think it would be kind of cool to have an architectural interest if it could work.

• Erin Barnes
    Original Author
    last month

What about something like this?

Not tech-savvy. Lol.

• Jennifer K
    last month

That's approximately what I meant by echoing the shape of your window.

Put a bench or something where you think you want your divider for now. And live with it that way. You may find that having the divider is a pain and disrupts traffic too much. Or you may find that having a bench at the door is really convenient and you want to incorporate one into your solution. If you want to experiment with sightlines, trying stapling a sheet to the ceiling to act as a temporary divider. Then you'll know if you want see-through or if you like a solid wall better.