SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

What is wrong with these pole beans? (Marvel of Venice)

katyajini
last year

I planted the Marvel seedlings on June 11th. They looked very healthy then. They have barely grown and look hurt now.

What can have caused this? I am thinking, is it from the compost? I spread a thick layer (3 inches) of purchased compost and inserted the root balls into that. And sprinkled some plantone and covered with mulch. The Trionfo pole beans next down the row dont look like they are hurting like this. There were multiple bags of compost and some bags can definitely could have been far worse than others. I cant be sure that the Trionfo root balls are in the exact same compost composition.

Trionfo now:

Furthermore there was left one Marvel seedling that I forgot to plant and it has some funkiness in its leaves as well. Maybe not the same thing? This last seedling has not seen any purchased compost.

Marvel seedling still in pot (lower left quadrant):

So what do I do now? Just water and wait to see if they recover? Could this be from excessive salts in the compost? The seeds carried an illness? I am inclined to think it is environmental not genetic.

I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Comment