SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laceyvail

Raccoons and......Colchicums?

Twice now, at two different properties, I've had raccoon invasions. They dig madly throughout mulched areas and they also dig up Colchicum bulbs. No other bulbs. Just Colchicums. At the first property where I had some 6 or 8 areas of Colchicums, they dug them up every single night for many nights. There were a lot of bulbs and I just stuffed them back in the ground. Now, at my new property, where I had just moved a few Colchicums from the old place there were only 4 or 5 bulbs of two varieties in two widely separated areas. Again, all dug up. No other bulbs touched. Aside from the problem of how to protect them, and aside from the fact that the bulbs are never eaten--they're highly poisonous-- does anyone have any idea what the attraction is?

I'm keeping my upturned wheelbarrow on one planting at night, but any ideas as to how to protect the other one would be appreciated too.

Comments (2)

• beesandblues88_z7a
    last year

Motion activated sprinklers work good if itsvin a area that you could set one or 2 . Keeps them out of my pond.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    Original Author
    last year

I'm about as untech as it's possible to be and still function, albeit minimally, in this world, but maybe I can get someone to help me set something up.