SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
idaalready

The wild garden

Ida
last year

I find myself desiring a wilder look in my garden. As some of you know, we have a tiny patch of backyard where I have attempted something along the lines of "a secret garden", and I'm pleased with what we've accomplished thus far.
The vitex have grown large, and they've recently finished their late spring bloom. It's always glorious when they're heavy with purple, lilac-scented flowers, and the pollinators flock to them in great droves. How I love seeing all of those little happy, industrious bees! I'd been pruning the vitex into tree shape, but am going to let a couple of them revert to their full bush nature. (Jinx grows hers as a bush, and has me convinced to put away my shears.)
This season I reseeded the clover lawn and it did beautifully for a time, but then a heatwave set in - and I got busy tending to needs of my elderly parents and neglected my watering duties - so it's a bit sparse in spots, where once it was full and lush. The clover does still provide the perfect habitat for lizards and our resident toad, and the bees and butterflies love it.
Have any of you sown wildflower seed in your garden, or bare spots in your lawn? I've just ordered a mix of seeds meant for dry areas, and intend to sow them when they arrive in a week or so. Maybe they'll come up, maybe they won't. But I really long for even more of a wild and jumbled vibe, and am wondering if anyone else here prefers that over a more manicured and structured garden?
I've enjoyed watching little lizards these past few days. I'm amazed at what curious creatures they are. I had one perch on a low part of the fence and move his head to watch the arc of water spraying from the hose the other day. There have also been teeny-tiny lizards in the garden this week (babies?), and today I was so amused watching one scurry to position itself directly beneath the gentle drip of water coming off the leaves of my Spanish lavender.

Comments (74)