SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 6/26

l pinkmountain
last year
last modified: last year

Ok I'll start.

I am staying for three nights in a nice hotel about three hours from home. It's in a pretty nice small town adjacent to some recreational areas. I am combining a personal business trip with a three day quarantine as a safety precaution after my husband returns from a family visit out of state. He's not sick but we are going to quarantine for three days then test before returning to our relative bubble. We can't afford to get sick and neither can my 90 yr. old father. Hubs was with unvaccinated kids and their friends and other unvaccinated adjacent family.

I have business Monday and Tuesday but today, (Sunday) is free. I brought some things to do and there is a pool and I can go for walks and explore the town, and I packed food but it's still less than ideal. The hotel offers free bakery chocolate chip cookies and the adjacent restaurant has almost nothing low calorie/fat to eat. The food I packed is mostly uninspiring because that's all I could take out of my home fridge. I forgot a few things too . . .

So I'm having trouble staying on track. Yesterday I ate breakfast and lunch at home, stopped on the road at a Culver's drive through. I didn't want to get out of the car, and also because I thought they might have a fish basket. They didn't but they did offer just fried shrimp which I got because it was a treat for me and also within my calorie budget. Today I have a whole day of just me and some temptations. Obviously will try and keep busy and distracted.

On the plus side, I can now fit comfortably back into my size 12 clothes. I have reached my first goal of being under 145, which is the maximum weight for me in the "not overweight" range. I'm clocking in fairly regularly at 141.

I can see that this trip might be a derailment which will bum me out. So much sacrifice and so many months of dieting, and a couple of days off the wagon and weeks of weight loss can be erased. (I normally lose about 1 lb or less a week).

Also, the hotel has two large well-lit, full-length mirrors, and when I look at myself sans clothes (something I don't do often at home) I can see that somehow I need to tone up, particularly with posture and core issues. I have never been successful at that. I also hate that my arms look so flabby. The wrinkled skin doesn't bother me as much as the obvious lack of muscle tone.

Comments (51)

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    last year

pink, one of the best changes in attitude I found helpful last year was not to consider any lapses or failures as "forever". Tomorrow (or whenever you get back home : ) ) is alway a new day and a new opportunity to get back on track. Just do the best you can. It sounds like you're managing very well given the challenges!

Good luck with the Peloton, Sue!

• Springroz
    last year

pink, I know that struggle! You will make the best possible choices. Congrats on keeping the weight stable!!

Sheet pans are my favorite, and that combo sounds wonderful, Sue!! I usually do chicken thighs (liberally seasoned with TJ’s 21 Seasoning Salute) and either brocolli or cauliflower.

My mentor (Cristy Nickel) suggests packing the irresistable food up and putting it in the person’s own space to get it out of YOUR space.

I had a whoosh this morning, and lost 3 lbs….I hate weighing so much for my size. My shoulders are broad, I have guns, and ribs, and almost 15 inch calves…but I wear a size 2-4 pants. I also have ZERO self image, so no matter WHAT my size, I see the same person in the mirror. It has not gotten better with menopause…..

• Related Discussions

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 6/4/2023

Q

Comments (15)
    Also got food poisoning in NOLA, so I totally understand. We were there for the college football national championship. My friend and I had the same lunch except she got chicken gumbo, and I got seafood, and a few hours later I was vomiting, and it was game day. I made it to the game and drank ginger ale. That would have been horrible to spend that much money and miss the game. Luckily, our seats at the dome were on an aisle and near a bathroom. But I was feeling better by game time than the afternoon and then luckily for the long bus ride home the next day I was OK. But yes, I have an aversion to gumbo now. Also still haven’t done my decorative flowers! This week is supposed to be good weather, so I should be able to go out and get them. I will do the front planter box, hanging baskets, and some general pots for the deck. I did a Pilates reformer small group class yesterday so it was good to be back for that. I need to re-up my private sessions. DH bought me a gift certificate for my birthday, but he bought the group classes vs. privates. With the new studio, she has changed the class offerings, and he doesn’t really know the difference between a class pass and private session. So, I have over 10 class sessions but now 0 private lessons, so I will need to buy another package. He is actually intrigued by the Reformer, so maybe he will use one LOL. But I have to start somehwere with him with basic strength training. He just had his physical and everything is great—cholesterol, A1c, PSA, etc. But yes, after having alcohol more days last week due to travel and my birthday, I am ready for another dry period. We have Peter Frampton tickets at the end of the month, so no need to have any alcohol until then. We picked the rest of our lettuce from the garden since it was getting near the end, so lots of salads this week. I ordered the Oikos protein yogurt with my online shopping order yesterday, so that will be a good afternoon snack. I tracked my food as best I could but it’s a huge educated guess when dining out. Zumba today! Have a good week, everyone!
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 6/11/2023

Q

Comments (33)
    Bunny - my young adult son started Invisalign a while back. Maybe 9 months or even a year. He's lost about 35 lbs! For exactly the reasons you stated. He just isn't snacking anymore. So if keeping your weight is an issue for you (oh, how I wish that was a problem for me!), definitely be mindful. I haven't posted on these threads (or many here) but I do read these every week. You all do inspire me. I am not overweight, but as I get older (early 60s) it becomes harder and harder to take off any weight added. We have been traveling more. That son I mentioned just graduated college and he's our last. Amazing how finances change when no longer paying that college tuition! Anyway, I always have a very hard time getting back on my exercise routine after getting home from vacation. And I usually put on a couple lbs while on vacation as I don't worry about what I'm eating. But string a few of those vacations together and it's becoming an issue. We are away again for a week mid July (Cape Cod) so I must get back on my exercise routine pronto! If I don't do it first thing in the morning, before even coming downstairs for coffee, it doesn't get done. And I've never been one that enjoyed exercising, so it's a constant battle with myself to get myself to do it. Ugh.
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 8/20/2023

Q

Comments (21)
    Things are going well here as far as the exercise goes. I of course can't really lose weight but I'm enjoying going dancing two or three times a week thrown in the mix right now. Going to free summer concerts helps with that. Also we go dancing once a week to alive music pub Friday nights or Saturday nights. The music is pretty good. DH is enjoying tries out different beers one beer each time. Are you ready for fall activities, clothes and food? I'm not ready for Fall. But I am more than ready for Fall. I don't want to stop wearing my summer clothes and going to all the summer dancing that we have been doing. I want the fires to be gone and people to not be too hot who are uncomfortable in the heat. It is weird to feel such Joy in being able to do these summertime activities and feel such sadness for people who are caught in fires and storms and etc. I guess both can exist at the same time but they are uncomfortable together. How are you doing with your healthy lifestyle goals? In as much as I can do my healthy lifestyle style goals are being met. As I said above I can't lose weight. But hopefully I can shift things enough through weight lifting etc to help with my problem areas. I'm looking at you muffin top.. What's going well As I've said before the shortened time span that I eat my meals with IF seems to work very well for me. My weight stays fairly consistent and has ever since I started this program. I don't look at it to help me lose weight as that seems to be a non-starter for me. It does definitely contribute to maintenance. I seem to need to cut out all extra evening snacks to maintain my weight no matter what level of activity I do. What needs more work and focus? I need to weight lift more even if it is body weight lifting and de-stress somehow so that I can lose the excess cortisol in my system and maybe not have a muffin top ;-). Wishing everybody else health and safety. I've been distracted by all these summer activities so haven't said much to individuals. But I think of you all almost every day.
    ...See More

Healthy Lifestyle Progress - Week of 2/18/2024

Q

Comments (24)
    After watching a bunch of videos thrown my way of people who have lost large amounts in shortish time periods, I realize even with the occasional loss (and that is ALL I have been seeing for the last year), I need to get more serious. I am not looking to do anything extreme for quick weight loss-- it's not healthy or sustainable for me-- but I do need to make some serious adjustments. I too easily let myself veer off path and choose something that is less than healthy because of time constraints or just because I WANT them. I did track most days this week ... even the day I had nothing but 2 packs of ramen and a snack pack of fig newtons. That hurt :( but it also made me realize that I am too easily swayed and sabotaged by my own self. I can't sit and whine that I am making no progress when I am not putting in the effort. I have been mostly talk and no walk for the last year. I sat down this morning and recommitted to a healthier lifestyle every single day. It isn't going to happen just because I want it to. I told my team earlier this week, we are not going to successfully hit our targets unless we make changes TODAY. With that in mind, I have identified 3 things that I can easily change starting TODAY: Return to and stick to intermittent fasting (this will start tomorrow because I already had a large orange before 10am). NO chips, pretzels, pizza or any high calorie/low value indulgences for any reason until my birthday in April. get outside and active at least 3x a week - could be a walk, jumping rope or yard work. Must be outside and active. I'd like to increase this # but for now, 3x will require effort to be successful. It's important to me that my changes are easily achievable with effort and without stress/anxiety. I am fully aware that I have said these words before lol ... but I am committing to them. I have a few trips coming up in April/May and that will be my motivation but in case that is not enough, I am budgeting/earmarking funds I will make available only if I stick to the above from now to mid April. If I do, I will purchase some items for my trips and have extra money to spend on them. It may seem silly lol ... but these are things that motivate me. I gotta go with what works!
    ...See More
  • l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    last year

Ohh, that would be a great discussion topic, irresitable road food. The hardest thing yesterday was I just didn't want to get out of my car. Usually I bring a sandwich and an apple for those occasions, but I was so rushed all I had time to do was pack the sandwich ingredients. I can only eat a half sandwich and stay within my calorie budget anyway. So a fast food drive-thru sandwich would not have worked . . . I didn't run across anything else that offered both drive through and low fat/carb stuff. A couple of places offer salads but that's not "eat while you drive" fare. I have to keep my meals around 400 calories tops.

I googled it and found a few options. I like to keep mostly to vegetarian stuff so that kind of limits me. Not that I won't eat meat ever, I just try to keep my meat or eggs or dairy to one serving per day. I had chicken soup for lunch yesterday which was why I was kind of stymied. I found out Starbucks has a "protein pack" which does include chicken but also hummus . . . Burger King offers a vegetarian burger but it's kind of big and would have been a little out of my calorie range. Panera is great with their half sandwich offerings, but not drive through. I have found their service to be glacial so I don't stop there when I am in any kind of hurry. Subway 1/2 tuna or a turkey meets my criteria but yesterday I didn't see one along the road. Also, have to go in for that . . . but they are much faster than Panera.

• Funkyart
    last year

Thanks for starting the weekly thread, Pink. I was away from home this weekend and just returned.

As I mentioned, my solar scale lost power last week so I set it up for a long charge in another room. I havent weighed myself since last Sunday... when I had gained 3 lb after surgery. I knew I would shed it eventually, it surely wasn't due to eating-- so I decided to just wait until today for the next weigh in.

So I did lose the 3 lb i gained post surgery-- as expected... and then lost another 3.2. Very unusual for me to lose so much and I am not yet cheering enthusiastically because there were extenuating circumstances that contributed to the loss this week. I pretty much lost my appetite with the news on Friday.. and then yesterday I was in the pool and sun all day with an empty stomach and I guess I very much overdid it. I was very ill last night. I couldn't even keep water down.

I know it is likely I will gain some of the 6.2lb loss back as my body readjusts from being so ill last night. But I am going to try hard to keep it steady... even when limited to soft foods.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Congrats Pink, nice job.

I just go to a grocery store if available restaurant fare is not healthy enough.

not to consider any lapses or failures as "forever".

This. For years I used to think, darn I "ruined" my "diet." Eff it I will start over tomorrow or after the weekend or....

But I don't let myself do that anymore. When I am disappointed in the choices I make, i now tell myself "you can reset the clock with your next bite." There is no such thing as "on" or "off" a diet. We are the sum total of all choices. I am never "on a diet" but I am always trying to make the best choices for me (which sometimes mean enjoying something that I don't consume regularly).

I still haven't weighed in, because I am superstitious. But I did fit into old jeans. Too bad they are on the precipice of a dangerous thigh blow out. 🤣

• blfenton
    last year

I just wanted to poke my head in and say hi. I'm following and you guys are an inspiration for me. And to reiterate what others have said - just because you eat too much one day or if you a weekend is difficult I go back to what someone once said to me - You only have to be good 90% of the time and trying for perfection can lead to disappointment and that isn't fair to yourself.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    last year

I will say that hydration is also key when you are doing something that upsets your normal routine, like traveling or being sick, etc. Water is necessary for the breakdown of fat. If your body is stressed it's not going into "fat breakdown" mode, just the opposite. Water helps with the reset. I tend to forget to hydrate when under stress or traveling. I hate to make potty stops . . .

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I thought they had debunked a lot of the water myth. I always drink water anyway; we grew up drinking a lot of water before it was a thing.

Scientists say there's no clear health benefit to chugging or even sipping water all day. So where does the standard advice of drinking eight glasses each day come from? "Nobody really knows," says Dr. Stanley Goldfarb, a kidney expert at the University of Pennsylvania.

https://www.npr.org/2008/04/03/89323934/five-myths-about-drinking-water

There may be some empirical evidence linking water consumption to weight loss, probably because a "good" dieter likely follows the water rules.

• Funkyart
    last year

I think drinking water (or iced tea, in my case) helps keep my appetite low-- or at least encourages me to eat only when I am actually hungry. Water is definitely needed for a lot of body processes-- including burning fat-- but not sure I need the almost 3l I am drinking each day.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    last year

The 8 glasses is an arbitrary myth, however, adequate hydration is not. I didn't give a set amount of water to drink, just to be aware of hydrating. For example, if I don't drink enough water I get headaches. There's not set water intake that is perfect for everyone, but water intake is key for many, many types of body processes and metabolic chemical reactions. Mild dehydration can cause a whole host of mild problems, such as my aforementioned headaches. Your water needs depends on what you are doing, what kinds of activities and stresses you are putting on your body. That isn't one set thing all the time.

https://hub.jhu.edu/at-work/2020/01/15/focus-on-wellness-drinking-more-water/

That NPR article appears to be one doctor's opinion, Dr. Goldfarb, and also he seems to be slanting his advice to make it seem like he's busting the "drink water" myths. They myth is perhaps with water, if a little is good, a lot is better. Yes, you can drink too much, but also too little so it really is up to the individual. As I said, when I am stressed I tend to drink less than normal, so just reminding myself to hydrate keeps my hydration up. I don't drink 8 glasses of water a day. However, I was told by my gastroenterologist to drink at least 6 as part of a regime for acid reflux, diverticulosis and stomach ulcers. And it just has to be liquids, not necessarily pure water.

Also, in the NPR article it said you don't have to sip water on a walk, but then said it is recommended that athletes consume 16 oz. of water prior to a period of strenuous exertion. So no, if you are going on a 30 min. walk you don't need to sip water. But if it's a long hike, either drink a whole bunch before you do it, or yeah, why not sip along the way. If you're sweating a lot, then maybe take a break every two hours and drink two glasses of water if you don't want to "sip." That doesn't negate the importance of water or negate the possibility that you could become mildly dehydrated if you don't consume water at some point in the day's activities.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

No weight loss for me. That is a victory all things considered.

I too go to the grocery store on the road. Of the fast food chains, Starbucks usually has something acceptable to eat, like grapes, cheese and apples, or hummus and veggies.

WRT drinking a lot of water, sure it fills you with no calories, but aside from that my understanding is there are no benefits.

There is this doctor who makes hilarious videos. He has a nephrologist cry out on the subject of drinking lots of water, Is homeostasis a joke to you?

last year

Funky, I hope you are feelng better today. It sounds like you may have been seriously dehydrated.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

I think we can all agree that "adequate hydration" is a good idea, of course!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Zalco, that video comports with my latest understanding; drink when you are thirsty. You can also drink for other reasons. like if you are hot. Or if you anticipate sweating. AFAIK drinking to stave off hunger works for 20 minutes.

• daisychain Zn3b
    last year

As of yesterday, my crazy month of highs and lows is finally done and I can focus on getting into a healthy routine.

I'm trying not to weigh myself as I've heard from several people that they only started to lose weight when they stopped daily weigh ins. I get it. When I binge, it doesn't show up until a week later and, even though I know that, it gives me mental permission to keep going with the over eating. I also can't seem to get past the psychology of, "yay! I've lost a few pounds, now I can eat lots again". Which worked for me my whole life (I never had more than a few pounds to lose), but now I need to lose 15 lbs minimum and I need to get past that 5 lb celebration and keep working at it.

What I've had success with recently is a high fibre diet and continuing to cut the sugar as much as possible. Brunch is 1/2 cup of all bran with a sliced banana and blue berries. Supper is some sort of lentil/bean with veggie dish. Unfortunately, with the craziness of this month, I haven't been able to stick to this very well, but even so, it's helped. I'm looking forward to making it into more of a habit over the summer and creating some staple recipes that I can stick with going back to work in the fall.

We will be empty nesters (sob!) come September and the only thing I am looking forward to is not having to make meals that satisfy my hardworking teens' need for calories.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Daisy,

I am a total scale moron. I only have 2 reactions to the scale:

1. "yay! I've lost a few pounds, now I can eat lots again".

or

2. I'm up. Eff it. I can't do it.

last year

AFAIK drinking to stave off hunger works for 20 minutes.

Yes, Mtn, the problem with me is, I eat when I am not hungry, so drinking water helps distract me from doing real damage, as is my custom these days.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    last year

The problem is, "a lot of water" is not precise in any way. So it could easily be misunderstood one way or the other. So it is not advice based on science because "a lot of water" is the farthest thing from a scientific phrasing, so yes, easily picked apart by a doctor since it could mean anything. I don't even know anyone who seriously gets advice like "drink a lot of water" from a medical professional or someone speaking in a scientific context. My comment was, "Be aware that when you are under stress you sometimes forget to drink water so make sure to take time for yourself to replenish yourself." I think most times that the body is under stress some mild hydrating is helpful. Again, don't want to google a whole set of data on how much or in which cases it is not a good thing, but they don't give you IV fluids for nothing when you are undergoing stressful procedures in the hospital, so when you get home, you should probably make sure you keep on drinking, instead of just staying in bed and not drinking because you don't feel well. When I got my covid booster I was so sick that I could hardly get out of bed (one day only). I had to call my hubs on his cell phone to ask him to bring me a glass of water. He didn't even think to pop his head in my room and ask if I wanted one. All day long.

• Funkyart
    last year

Thank you, Zalco, you are so sweet! I am feeling better today but very low energy. I did drink throughout the day yesterday (both water and fresca-- no alcohol) but I am definitely dehydrated. I have been drinking lots of clear fluids this morning and just now ventured to drink some coffee. So far, so good-- if that stays down, I will add some light food.

• jojoco
    last year

Not a stellar week for me. We had a houseguest for six nights and the stay was centered around eating and drinking. I bowed out of most things (gotta haves, ie, fried seafood, drinks overloooking the water, an upscale steak dinner, pizza from Pepes-I did do that one.) I had ice cream twice and generally feel yuck this week. I'm up 1-2 lbs. The guest was a life-long friend of DH. Both have left and I have the cottage to myself this week. I'm starting afresh.

• eld6161
    last year

Jojo, you did the right thing by knowing when to bow out. Just because we have guests and have to put out a spread, doesn't mean we have to partake.

1-2 lbs up is fine under those circumstances.

Mtn I get the scale thing. But for me, I need that morning weigh in. It helps me adjust what I can or cannot do for the day. If you are on the weight lose track rather than the maintenance track, your mindset cannot be that you are rewarded if you lose. That just puts you back to square one.

Daisy, my weight goes up immediately. I guess you have to know how your body works. A heavy high caloric meal will always be a 2lb up on the scale the next day.

I have heard that hunger can be masked by being thirsty. When I think I am hungry when I shouldn't really be, I tell myself that you might just be thirsty.

My problem is not I am never thirsty. For year's I never drank enough water. I don't believe in the 8 glass suggestion. I try for 3-4 not counting tea.

It helps that DH likes to be fit. He suggested we go to the beach for dinner last night. This is mostly a greasy spoon, but....they also have simple broiled fish over greens. DH is now onboard with getting this rather than the fried baskets. We usually share fries, though. Sometimes I cave if he wants to share a dessert. It is mediocre at best so it's easy to only take a few bites. Last night he agreed to skip it.

• legomom23
    last year

I’ve had a pretty good couple weeks. weight loss is slow, but progress is being made. I’m reading and listening to all sorts of health podcasts. It’s really helping me change my mindset from weight loss to long term health, which hopefully still results in weight loss:) I’ve made a bunch of little changes in the last few months, but the result is a vastly different diet. I really feel like I can stick with these changes because now I’ve learned enough to understand why I should, instead of feeling like im missing out.

last year

Oh, btw, my husband has lost 10 pounds since we started this. How I wish I could share in that victory.

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    last year

There have been some pluses today, and some minuses. I took a very long walk this afternoon, and found a local Chinese/Thai restaurant that did have some options if I felt like splurging. They only do takeout so that was great. Also I guess one can get passable salads at McDonalds and there is a grocery two blocks up the road and I could probably find something there.

On the downside, I didn't realize it but the fridge in the room must have been set too high, all my "green" foods froze. A few things were OK thawed, but the coleslaw was a total loss. So I didn't have as many greens today as I had planned . . .

The hotel has a beautiful pool and no one uses it. Sparkling clean heated, all to myself. Ironically, it was kind of chilly today, only 74 degrees tops and windy. Tomorrow cloudy and 72. This is after two weeks of low 90's upper 80's.

I bought some hair dye at the drugstore, I just might dye my hair as another activity to stave off boredom in the evenings. It's not the permanent kind . . . another downside of having big mirrors and bright lights in the bathroom, my hair looks tired and dull with all the grey streaks among the brown, and then my auburn highlights seem to be mostly a thing of the past . . . sigh.

I also ended up taking a nap. I don't know what the problem is, but I cannot seem to boost my energy despite exercise, sleep, good diet, vitamins, water, etc. I've also had a blood test, nothing other than high cholesterol which I am working on. I have just lost so much energy this year. I can't seem to get it back.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Oh no, how frustrating w the fridge. The walk and the swim sound nice, and the nap too.

• Kswl
    last year

This week started off very well. I am eating more mindfully, and eating nothing that could be considered unhealthy. Weight loss, energy and better fitting clothing have been the rewards. I am getting weekly B12 injections and that is doing wonders for my energy levels. I have another lab panel coming up in August and expect it to be much improved.

• Funkyart
    last year

I weighed in this morning and I am still down 6.2 lb from last week-- 3 of those lbs were the 3lb I was up after surgery-- presumably from the anesthesia/drugs so I am hoping I can maintain the loss through this week. It's an unusual loss but i am going to do my best.

Something that has been bothering me is my loss of muscle tone and strength. I was an athlete in my youth and always very active much of my life. That changed quite a bit with increased work demands, reduced vision/loss of depth perception and working from home 100%. I don't drive so heading out for a hike or a gym isn't convenient .. and I don't even have to walk a large building at work anymore. I am not safe walking in my neighborhood (uneven paving/lack of sidewalks are an issue with my vision disabilities) and can't easily get to a track. However, I DO have a very professional treadmill in the basement. I need to regain my strength and add cardio so my focus for the coming holiday weekend is to make a pleasing workout space. The basement is a fairly dreary space-- but it does have a nice large window. I am in the process of shopping items from this great new store, Funky's Closet.. I have curtains, a rug and who knows what other surprises. I have a jump rope, dumb bells and going to order a new yoga mat and a good fan. No more excuses-- I am motivated!

• Springroz
    last year

You might try Leslie Sansone’s walk at home youtube videos. tThey start at 15 minutes. I used them to train for hiking, and they really helped me get back into it. Funkys closet sounds like fun! About 7 more pounds and we go through Spring’s closet!

• Feathers11
    last year

Funkyart, to back up Springroz's comments, there are so many good exercise videos on YouTube, as I'm sure you know. But, to me, having a dedicated workout space that is, at the very least, pleasant, is essential.

I'm weighing myself twice daily--in the morning and at night. Many would consider this obsessive, but I know myself, and it's not. It's for observation and curiosity purposes of what foods are causing inflammation. Weight-wise, I'm down a few pounds, but not celebrating because I need to gain muscle mass and strength. I don't mind cardio, but I have a mental block with the discomfort of weight training.

The kids were home from college over the weekend, which means having foods that I don't normally eat. Including pasta salad--the kind my great aunties made for family picnics. The kids barely touched it, but I had a heaping serving yesterday evening. And then later on, as we binged Hulu, I ate the leftovers. The good news is that I needed to find a show to watch while I work out--that's my motivation for weight training. And the pasta salad is gone. My goal this week--AGAIN--is to hit the barbells (or whatever you call them).

• Sueb20
    last year

After a few weeks of no ”real” exercise, I reintroduced myself to the peloton yesterday and did: 15 min biking, 10 min upper body weights, and 10 min stretching. (All individual programs on Peloton.) I have been using my ongoing med tests as an excuse not to ”over do” which is bs since no dr has told me not to exercise!

To summarize the ongoing health saga, several weeks ago I went to the dr because after recovering from a standard bout of Covid in early April, I had started feeling very fatiqued, achey, and often out of breath and even lightheaded at times. I assumed I’d be diagnosed with some form of long covid, but my dr wanted to eliminate all other possibilities. I have had tons of bloodwork, all normal except for slightly low iron. Had an ultrasound because of my family history of ovarian cancer. All good there too. Now waiting for lyme disease test results, because I did find a tick on my neck not long before this all started. Meanwhile, I’m wearing a heart monitor for two weeks. I think I am better than I was a few weeks ago, and I will be very surprised if it’s anything other than covid complications or ”long covid,” but it has been a little unnerving to have all these tests — at the same time, though, reassuring that everything has been negative so far! Anyhoo, that is my long excuse for being lazy but I am tossing that excuse aside as of this week.

Today I made a yummy smoothie with coconut, pineapple, a bit of vanilla yogurt, and coconut water. Mmmmm. Dinner tonight will be a bowl with chicken, quinoa, and veggies. I had gained 3-4 lbs last week on vacation and have already lost 2-3 lbs since I got home. The quick u-turn does make a difference…

• Funkyart
    last year

So glad to hear that all the scary things have been pretty much ruled out, Sue.. not that Lyme or long covid are walks in the park!

Your post vacation meals have sounded wonderful! I might do a "soft food" variation of your chicken bowl tonight-- do you put any sauce or toppings on it? I am thinking thinly sliced turkey breast and either broccoli or brussels sprouts steamed until soft.. no quinoa but i have brown rice which I guess is second best. Maybe a lemon vinaigrette on top?

• Sueb20
    last year

Lyme test just came back negative.

I am not big on sauces, but I might do trader joes ”everything but the bagel” seasoning and/or some feta cheese, depending on what veggies I decide to include. Or, I might add black beans and salsa and do brown rice instead of quinoa. With some shredded cheddar sprinkled on top.

• Funkyart
    last year

That's the beauty of bowls-- you can make them what you want! I am kind of excited for dinner now-- something I haven't been since I'd been on soft-ish foods! Thank you for nudging me to think outside the box!

Glad to hear Lyme was negative too!

• localeater
    last year

I want to reiterate how much I appreciate these threads.

I dont weigh myself often, maybe once a week. I did see a numeral in the tens place yesterday that I hadnt seen in a while so I was pretty pleased.

I dont actually know what I am doing differently. Maybe just a little more focused on not eating if I am not hungry. DH eats a lot and is always hungry. He actually has Graves Disease and hyperthyroidism, which is medicated and under control, but I swear the man eats 5000 calories a day. Of course he also runs 5 - 8 miles a day and then comes home and splits wood with a maul because it is fun, while I sit on my tuchus. I am also trying to stay more active, longer faster walks, more gardening.

Sharing here is really essential to me staying the course.

@Sueb20 Glad you and the Peloton are back on friendly terms.

@Funkyart Glad your mouth is healing well. We often drizzle lemon tahini on our quinoa bowls. I like the nuttiness of the tahini, could do a peanut sauce riff too.

@l pinkmountain Hope you stay healthy, sorry you are having food choice woes. I often do too when away from home. Grocery store salsa with carrots as dippers is delicious. And lots of grocery stores sell hard bolied eggs, and you can cook scrambled eggs in a hotel microwave oven. Hmm you could even cook an egg in salsa sort like traveler's shaksuka. Can you tell I like salsa LOL

I really want to start doing a video in addition to my walking and gardening. Thanks for the rec @Springroz

• Funkyart
    last year

OK so I just sat down with my brown rice, brussels sprouts and turkey bowl.. roasted the brussels sprouts with olive oil and minced garlic until soft .. salt and peppered everything and then squirted lemon on top. It is delicious .. so easy and perfect level of "softness" for my recovery. I started the brown rice right before my last meeting of the day and started roasting the sprouts when it was done. I could have gotten the timing a little better but no complaints. Everything was still warm, if not hot.

Next time I will likely skip the meat.. and add tahini or peanut sauce or maybe even a thai curry sauce. Thank you, @Sueb20 and @localeater.. this has opened so many options!

Sorry if my enthusiasm seems OTT lol.. it's just been a long time since I've had something that wasn't soft or soupy. This had just enough bite to feel like "real" food!

• localeater
    last year

Funky, DS's favorite bowl is blackened corn(frozen corn in cast iron skillet with cumin and chili powder til the corn chars or at least toughens ups), black beans(or Amy's Organic Refried Beans) sauteed peppers, and a drizzle of Sriracha Aioli. Serve with grain of choice. Oh and add cheese for DH.

• Funkyart
    last year

I loooove mexican street corn salad-- add it to some black beans or pinto beans with rice, lime, jalapenos, shredded lettuce and tomatoes would be divine! I am all about quick prep these days and jumping on the bowl wagon is going to change my meal plans for the summer!

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    last year

Yesterday was a diet bust, but fairly typical of my travel eating. I had it all planned out but I was rushed so the execution was poor. I splurged on espresso in the AM but forgot to pack the granola bar I was planning on eating so stopped and got a rather large biscotti. Long day, lots of exercise but I had way less water than I thought and I hate to buy water and hate to have those plastic bottles around so I probably got mildly dehydrated because I was dune hiking for at least an hour and then running some other errands. I ate half my packed sandwich (tofu salad) but it fell apart and I forgot to pack any utensils or hand wipes or even paper towels so I just shoved it back in the container to finish another time. I didn't sleep at all the night before (decline in US democracy is really bothering me) so I was pretty dang tired by dinner time. I got fancy coffee for the ride home (Sumatra, supposed to be low acid) but it was bitter so when I got back to the hotel I picked up one of the free cookies to eat with the coffee (it was oatmeal raisin, could have been worse) and then eventually heated up some whole wheat spaghetti with wild greens and roasted vegetables which was my planned dinner. Early to bed with a headache from not drinking enough. Not good but could have been worse. I bought some salad at the nearby grocery for today, we'll see how well I do.

• Funkyart
    last year

I can't really "like" your post, Pink.. but it definitely sounded like a series of unfortunate events. Gotta make sure you have plenty of water and some quick items to reach for to keep hunger at bay-- nuts and apples are (were) my go-tos. They provide enough to buy you a few hours to a get to healthier options. Sorry you had crappy, bitter coffee when you were intending to splurge. Hope today's options are much better!

• Springroz
    last year

I know today will be better….hugs, lpink.

I feel victorious, right now (gimme a few minutes, and the manic phase will pass…). The scale has not gone up in two weeks!! I really think my key is 5 hours between eating anything. I am trying to treat it like a prescription….similar to the mind game I taught DH.

)If the fast food is calling, tell yourself it stinks (it does…those nasty rancid seed oils smell horrible).

)Instead of telling yourself ”CAN’T have that”, say ”I DON’T choose to eat that”. If offered something off your plan, say you are allergic. In DH’s case, this is probably true.

• Funkyart
    last year

Great strategies-- fast food DOES stink. I can always smell it when I get into a car when someone has stopped for a quick burger and fries.

I especially like the "I DON'T choose to eat that" mantra. It reinforces that every bite we put into our mouths IS a choice. They might not all be the best choices or even good choices but they are all choices. Accepting them as choices is key to owning and managing our diets. This was especially valuable to me over the last 8 months of dental work/oral surgery where I needed to find soft food options that were nutritious and low calorie- it would have been so easy to just eat mac & cheese, pudding, cake and mashed potatoes-- but I would have backtracked on my weightloss and health improvements.

• JustDoIt
    last year

Sister had a birthday party on Sunday at a Mexican food restaurant. I swore I was only having the seasoned beef and salad, but those chips and dip came calling. Scale showed 27 lbs lost. I think that works out to a little over 1 lb for the last week.

EAT SMALL TO BE SMALL (I saw that somewhere and am trying to keep it in the back of my mind.)

• l pinkmountain
    Original Author
    last year

Calorie wise I didn't go much off my diet over the three days I was gone. But I gained 1.5 lbs. erasing three weeks of dieting. Just goes to show how difficult it is going to be to get and keep my weight much below 145. I've been at this point before. For almost ten years I could not move the dial off of 144 no matter what I tried. Gave up even trying. Then I started to really put on weight when I started binging on junk foods. So yeah, getting my binging and sugar and empty starch and drinking under control keeps my weight down, but how far remains to be seen. My goal is 138 but I haven't seen that weight for 15 years or more . . .

5 lbs is easier to lose when you are 30 lbs overweight than when you are 5 lbs. overweight . . .

• Springroz
    last year

It IS such a struggle!! The problem I have with calories counting is that to keep losing, you have to keep cutting. When you decide to add muscle to increase metabolism and get stronger, then you have to increase your calories, or the body eats its own. Just does not seem like a fair system…..

I am fighting my scale…I think the battery is redundant. Yesterday, up 3.8. impossible. No cheesecake was involved!, Today, down 5 lbs, which is 8.8 from day before. LOL. Unless the gravitational pull is messed up?? Heard anything about that?

• Funkyart
    last year

I didn't weigh this morning because I was running very late for an appt and I feel ridiculously bloated today. The good news is, I am cleared to eat normal food! I will likely need to work up to steak and apples but I am so excited to have a summer salad-- cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower! Now I can get back to my healthier regimen.

• Springroz
    last year

That is SUCH good news!! Yay!!

Lunch here is salad with lefover salmon, some cucumber, sunflower seeds, and maybe some craisins. Dressing: red wine vinegar and grapeseed oil, with a healthy shake of 21 Seasoning Salute, a pinch of Penzey’s Herbes de Provence, a little salt and pepper, plus a drop of Sucradrops. Let it sit a few, so the herbs rehydrate…

In light of my apparent scale malfunction, I measured my waist, looking for any NSV (non-scale victory)…and I am down 1.5 inches!! I got up the nerve to try on my very high waisted shorts (quite snug pre weight gain…) and I might have been able to button them if my wrist were not sore….

• Funkyart
    last year

I think NSV (non-scale victories) are SO important-- I put way too much focus on the scale which I know will fluctuate. I don't want to lose sight of the scale (I weigh daily most weeks) but I feel much more successful when I can fit into something I couldn't previously and look good! I am going to start measuring! Just as soon as I find my tape measure ;)

• eld6161
    last year

INMHO the scale should flucuate. Then you know it's working.

Spring, same thing happened to me.

Side story: year's back my scale showed me at a good weight that I was happy with. But it didn't move for days which I started to then get suspicious. As it turns out I was 5lb up after putting in new batteries. I should have realized by my clothing.

The trick for me is to have the cap weight. A bit higher than I want but when I see that, I know to buckle down.

• pricklypearcactus
    last year

Late to the party. My weight has been in flux this week. Started the week out 1lb up but now that it's Friday I'm 1lb down, so hopefully I'm either unchanged or 1lb down overall. Trying to stay strong during the weekdays, having healthy meals and avoiding any alcohol. Though to be honest, this has been the kind of week that makes me want to have a cocktail pretty badly.

I have been great with cardio this week. Swimming or running every single morning and trying to push myself during the workouts. I am really struggling to find the time to prioritize lifting weights. I've only gotten 2 lifts in this week and I should be at 4. I've been really sore from swimming and running and that's probably impacting my motivation to do it.

Had some really exciting non-scale victories this week. My favorite smallest size jeans from 8 years ago fit again! I was not sure I would ever fit into them again but they fit. And every single pair of older shorts fits again too! It feels great to be able to grab some old favorites out of the closet and wear them. Then I had two separate people tell me that I looked great. I know I shouldn't be worried about what others think, but it was nice to feel like finally someone other than myself could see the progress.

Thank you for the accountability and support that these posts bring. I love hearing all the successes and what you use to motivate yourselves and stay on track. It really really helps.

• Feathers11
    last year

Congratulations to the NSVs!

I've noted before that I weigh myself daily, often twice. This has helped me identify foods that are inflammatory, because, IME, gaining a few pounds in a week isn't because of volume of calories, but types of calories. This way, I can splurge on occasion and not panic when the scale increases. When it does, I fast for 12-16 hours, which, for my body, helps calm inflammation, then pick back up with healthy foods. This approach isn't for everyone, of course, but it has made me more aware of my body and its triggers. (Summer craft cocktails, I'm looking at you.)

I have used weights 3 times this week, and I'm feeling it. But it feels good. Cardio is never a problem--I walk a lot with friends, my son and I biked for 15 miles the other day, etc. But I have to push myself to do the weights.