SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_733173324

Advice on Glass Cabinet Location in Kitchen

Panda Bear
last year

I currently have one cabinet with the see through glass cabinet in the corner as shown in picture. Does it look okay?

Or should I not do the corner and do both the left and right of the range as well as the last one on the left end of the kitchen?

What’s your thoughts aesthetically?

Open to your input.

Comments (47)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year
    last modified: last year

I do not see the cabinet in the pic.BTW not enogh space for stools along that island if the fridge is behind the stools. IMO before doing anything get an indepedant KD not some cabinets salesperson who has no wy to think outside the box.If you post the plan so we can enlarge it that would be a huge help and I aslo need to know the style of cabinets and the pic showing this glass one .BTW all the base cabinets should be drawers not pullouts behind doors but actual drawers .

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

Hi sorry idk why it didn’t attach

• Related Discussions

Layout advice - appliance location - pics inc.

Q

Comments (15)
    Damn.. I've written this twice already but the site won't let me post another follow-up. What's the deal with that!!! Anyway, I looked at the whole house plan and saw that the 'nook' is actually a corridor connecting your kitchen and DR so you have it set up like a butler's pantry. Now that makes sense (although on the first drawing it looked like it was an enclosed space). But maybe you could still extend the kitchen wall over a bit to gain more cabinets or countertop in the kitchen space.
    ...See More

Need Advice on Decorative Resin vs Glass Cabinet Doors

Q

Comments (0)
    We are doing a fairly contemporary kitchen remodel, with natural maple cabinets, and want one focal cabinet (the one with our dishes and glassware) to be translucent. The cabinet company has 9 styles of resin cabinets that have decorative reeds, bamboo, grass, or round leaves in them. We thought one of these would go well with our mid-century Asian-style home and the maple cabinets. However, the samples look somewhat scratched up and grubby (like they attract dirt over time). Has anybody experienced the pros & cons of resin cabinets over time? Our other option is to go with an interesting glass cabinet, perhaps the "rice paper" style, which might better stand the test of time (but do they get scratched too?) Any advice is helpful...
    ...See More

Need advice about painting kitchen cabinets

Q

Comments (9)
    weezel - I did not fill the grain. This was just a quick fix to get the cabinets to last a couple of more years until we rip them all out. They are builder grade 20+ years old and the finish on the bottom cabinets was looking very worn. The grain isn't super deep . Up close you can certainly see the wood grain but from a few feet away it really isn't noticeable. christasista - I found lots of blogs that showed gray wall colors in a variety of rooms and also show which ones are warm gray or cool gray, etc. I liked Edgecome Gray and Revere Pewter in addition to the Agreeable Gray I chose. I also found lots of photos with blue gray cabinets but I found that they rarely listed the actual cabinet color. That was a harder choice. SW Sea Salt is more of a green gray and I also liked Tidewater. For white, I have just been using Behr's Ultra Pure White, which is the untinted paint straight off the shelf, for all of my trim, doors and ceilings. mama goose - Thank you!
    ...See More

Kitchen Cabinet Height and Dishwasher Location Question

Q

Comments (10)
    30" uppers would look best, I think. We have an angled ceiling and chose to go with 30" uppers. I had 40s in our previous house and the top shelves were basically empty because I couldn't access them without a step stool. I know tall uppers are popular, but meh. Can the door from the garage into the house move? If not, have you thought about a narrow, single basin sink and/or an 18" dishwasher. It's possible a single basin sink in a 24" cabinet will be bigger than one of the basins in your existing sink.
    ...See More
  • Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

Here is the kitchen

• cpartist
    last year

You have bigger issues than a glass cabinet. Your island is a barrier between your sink and fridge. Normally we take food out of the fridge/pantry, move it to the sink to wash, then prep between sink and stove. Ideally you don't want to be crossing work zones either like you have.

All your lower cabinets should be drawers for greater efficiency and ease of use.

Have you laid out where all your dishes, pots, pans, etc will go?

if it were me, I'd get rid of the lower corner cabinet too and make the one next to the sink 42" with drawers and the one next to the cooktop 30" with drawers and have the corner be a blind corner. You'll get much more useful storage.

Additionally corner upper cabinets like you have it are basically useless for storage.

Where you have your spice rack is useless. A spice rack needs to be NEXT to the cooktop.

And the trash can needs to be near your prep area.

I hate cooking but because I laid out my kitchen in the most efficient way possible, I find nowadays I don't mind it at all. Do the same with yours.

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks appreciate the feed back. But some of the base cabinets I have, they are putting in pull out draws.

• emilyam819
    last year

I’d do glass in the corner, not on either side of the stove.
    Make the “spice rack” for tray storage. Make your bases all drawers and use a top drawer for spices.
    Make sure you have at least 54” from island counter to refrigerator.
    Keep the corner base lazy susan but get a Super Susan (it does not have the pole in the middle).

• mcarroll16
    last year

Not a fan of angled corner cabinets, but even less a fan of blind corners. Both styles create storage spots that are difficult to view or access. I would make that upper a regular 90-degree corner cabinet with a hinged door. Agree with cpartist somewhat on fridge placement. It's not ideal. It wouldn't be a big deal for me though, as I tend to gather fridge supplies and stack them on the worktop, then put egg and milk cartons away at the end of prep. When space is limited, I think having the fridge across the room is an acceptable tradeoff

But, you asked about glass cabinets. And for that, the crucial question is the one cpartist asked--what are you storing where? For me, the uppers surrounding my range hold oils, seasonings, noodles, etc. Things I really don't want displayed. Glass cabinets are best for dish storage. Dish stacks and rows of glasses display well without much effort. And it's a convenience for guests to be able to see them w/o opening random cabinet doors. In your plan, the uppers flanking the window seem like the logical place for dish storage.

• cpartist
    last year

Thanks appreciate the feed back. But some of the base cabinets I have, they are putting in pull out draws.

And you still lose about 4"-5" of interior useable space versus a drawer. Plus that means having to open the cabinet, bend down to grab the drawer versus just bending down to pull on a handle.

I had roll outs in my last kitchen. I now have all drawers. I have a heck of a lot more storage room and it's so much easier on my back, etc.

• cpartist
    last year

Is this a new build or a renovation?

• cpartist
    last year

One other thing I noticed is it doesn't appear your island counter is deep enough for stools. how deep is the overhang?

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

I appreciate the feedback. It’s a new construction, so appliance location, is kind of set.

I was going to use the spice rack for cookie sheets and cutting boards.

Draw left of range will be utensils
    Draw right of range will be cooking utensils.

Base cabinet to right of range and right of sink will be pots and pans.

• artistsharonva
    last year

Hi Panda Bear,

The cabinet layout is kind of misleading for figuring out walkway spacing without the countertop overhang. So here's a sketch of some things to help review with your installer/builder...

Like others mentioned, when humans sit at the overhang they will be in the way with fridge door & people walking by.

If you lose the 12" deep cabinets on back, that would help.

besides those under cabinet are harder to get into anyway.

Here's a quick sketch.

Change spice rack to a cookie sheet ofr baking pans & cutting boards.

As for glass, circled in yellow is where I would suggest.

What's best for you, depends on what you want to display & put in cabinet.

If you have nothing to display, then do regular cabinets to hide stuff in cabinets.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Here's the "why" on drawers vs. shelves.

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much guys I do appreciate the feed back! It is very helpful

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

Would you consider doing three draws in the base to the right of the sink?

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

So should I be doing the glass cabinets to hold dishes and cupware surrounding both sides of the sink or the one all the way to the left and the corner one

• artistsharonva
    last year

The glass location is a personal preference.

Imo, I do the one far left or the one in corner or both.

Not the 2 around sink due to differ sizes & I like symmetry when possible around window.

Again, if you want to show off something inside & have the patience to always take extra time & care to arrange it attractively since all will be seen.

I personally would not want glass cabinets in my kitchen because I am fast cook & too busy to keep it pretty for outside viewers.

I do love glass cabinets elsewhere in home to display sentimentals & or collectibles I want to showcase & keep dust off of. I also like them on bars.

Again that's me, so it depends on the users use & natural habits:)

Friendly reminder...

Don't forget to change that spice rack to a tall door cookie sheet for your baking sheets & cutting boards. They won't fit at all with just a spice rack ;)

I highly suggest double checking about the spacing of the walkway, I would lose the cabinets on backside of island or just do a prep island no overhang for seating. To test that spacing, maybe go see a home with that setup or do a mock up get some foldup tables & chairs & test it to your liking. I have fixed several islands for clients because it was a nuissance by being more in the way than useful. Sometimes bigger is not always better ;)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Have all the cabinet doors solid with no glass. Live in the house/kitchen for a year. Determine then whether you want glass in any of the doors.

• Candace
    last year

We just renovated our kitchen and besides below the sink and on the back side of the island (where the stools are) I don’t have a single cabinet - all drawers - and I LOVE it! I’ve had the pullout drawers - now you’re adding a step to open both sides of the cabinet then open the drawer instead of just opening the drawer. Don’t know if you have the option of corner drawers - they are so much more spacious!

• la_la Girl
    last year

I like the idea of glass shelves on either side of the sink if dishes will go in one cab and glasses in the other - makes unloading the DW pretty convenient

btw I have all glass uppers in my kitchen and really like them - they store glasses, dishes etc, (no arranging needed) then everything else is in drawers or pantries - if you want them dont be talked out of them :)

• mcarroll16
    last year

My vote would be for glass in both cabinets flanking the window, or in just the cabinet above the DW. No glass on the corner, unless it's holding large serving pieces. My experience with angled corner cabinets is that they end up a bit hectic inside, even for dish storage, because of the odd back corners.

For lowers, all drawers, except for the cutting board cabinet and a lazy susan corner cabinet. Although if your cabinet line offers corner drawers, those might be better. Do you have a cabinet over the fridge? If so, that's a great place for divided tray storage for baking sheets, cooling racks, and serving trays.

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

Mcarroll thank you.

Would it look weird to have the glass cabinets surrounding the sink diff sizes as it is in the pic?

I understand your point for the corner cabinet.

The only other cabinets that I could make draws would be the one to the right of sink and right of the oven.

When you say draws, do you mean the 3 draws just like how it is to the left of the oven currently which is where I plan to put my utensil?

By putting 3 draws does these draws fit pots and pans?

• mcarroll16
    last year

I don't think it would look weird to have glass cabinets of different sizes. But I'm not very concerned about symmetry in kitchen design, and I'm not a design pro. So I'm not the best source on that.

For fitting pots and pans, I won't make any promises. It comes down to the interior dimensions that your cabinet provider makes. How tall is the interior of the drawers? How tall is your tallest pot? Are you storing things flat or on their sides? In general a 3-drawer base should store about the same amount as a cabinet with one drawer and one interior shelf. But cabinets can be adjusted for really tall items. Drawers can't. My advice is to map out storage locations for every single item. I didn't order my cabinets until I had mapped out a storage spot for every single item.

• cpartist
    last year

Would you be willing to consider a different layout for your kitchen that might work better than what you have? If you're set with how it is, I'll shut up.

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

cPartist, this is the layout and I have to configure cabinets for efficiency while cooking. So appliances cant change in location.

What’s your thoughts if I change the spice rack to a tray pull out for cutting boards and cookie sheets.

Then make the 30 inch drawer to the right of the sink 27 so I can fit in a 3 inch spice pull out to the left of the lazy Susan?

Would 27 inch drawers be too small?

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

Ok MCarroll, I’ll look into this but what’s your thoughts on my above comment to CPartist

• mcarroll16
    last year

I don't like spice pullouts. I don't want to crouch down to find a small spice jar that's 5 inches from the floor. I keep my spices in a shallow drawer, with labels on the lid. I can look down and see everything at once, find what I need immediately. So I think swapping the spice pullout by the DW for a tray pullout is good. And cutting down drawer sizes for an actual spice pullout is bad. Repeating myself, but I would want a pullout, or even just a cabinet with an interior tray divider, down low for cutting boards. I would also want a cabinet over the fridge with tray dividers for my baking sheets and trays. But I might have an unusual number of those items.

• Melissa Kroger
    last year

i have 4 glass cabinets in my kitchen. Two with double doors and two with single door. I store a variety of plates, bowls and platters in two, glasses in another, and vintage tea cups in another. The ones flanking my sink are not the same size and it does not bother me at all.

I will echo what many have said: go with as many drawer stacks as possible. All my lowers are 3 drawer stacks, except for one four drawer stack and a spice pullout. The only doors I have are under the sink. I can fit all my pots, pans, tall stockpots, and everything else in the drawers with no problem. The only thing that won’t fit is my enormous lobster pot, so I store it elsewhere. I will never go back to lower cabinets again.

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the perspective. Maybe I’ll use the second draw left of the oven for a spice draw since my 1st draw on top would be utensils.

Yea I’m not feeling the spice pull out all the way in Guam since that would make no sense for me to grab spices and then walking over to where I would actually prep/cook food lmao.

I brought up the tray pull out because it’s annoying to stack them flat and then have to take out the whole thing and pick which one I want.

I have cabinets over my fridge. But I really do appreciate the advice on changing the cabinets I have right of the sink and right of the oven to drawers. That makes sense.

I’m just trying to think if that makes sense for where I should put my pots and pans. I also have like a crockpot and toaster which I don’t plan to leave out so what would you suggest?

The 3 draw pull outs are the widths in the picture x 24 deep and 11.25 inch in height each draw. (Except the top draw which is 6.75 inch)

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

I really do appreciate your comment Melissa and everyone else. You guys have been so helpful!

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

For the drawer stack to the left of my oven should I do 3 or 4? I ask because I plan to use the top draw for utensils, second draw for spices.

If I do 3 then the 2nd and 3rd draws are 11.25 and the 1st draw is 6.75

If I do 4 then the 1st is 6.75, 2nd and 3rd is 6.25 and 4th is 9.

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

^^ Sorry 1st 2nd and 3rd are 6.75. my misreading on the cabinet catalog.

• mcarroll16
    last year

Personally, I'd do 4. One drawer would be pot holders, one would be utensils I don't use frequently (potato ricer, food mill). What items do you still need to store? Have you got a spot for pot holders? For kitchen towels and dishcloths?

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

I would think my pot holders is the cabinet I’m changing to draws that are to right of sink contingent that they are deep enough but I’ll measure. I also have a cabinet to right of oven that I will change to draws that can hold pots as well.

• cpartist
    last year

I realize you can't move appliances but you can make the cabinets wider, get rid of the corner useless cabinets and have all lowers drawers. To answer your question, yes a 27" cabinet will not hold much. Ask me how I know. (In my old condo kitchen, i was more concerned with symmetry than function so the cabinets on either side of my stove were only 27". Big mistake. If I had that kithen to do over, I would have made wider cabinets and made them all drawers and no corner lazy susan or pullout. Just like I'm suggesting to you.

• cpartist
    last year

Your top drawer can be for both spices and utensils. Do a 3 drawer and have a divider inside.

• cpartist
    last year

This is the changes I'm suggesting. Nothing major but it will give you a lot more storage and it's easier to divide a larger drawer than a smaller roll out. Make the cabinet to the right of the sink and the two cabinets flanking the stove 3 drawer stacks.

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

Should I be concerned that the corner draws would hit each other’s handles?

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Here are some ways around the corner drawers issues.

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    last year

Looking forward to what style

• cpartist
    last year

Here are some ways around the corner drawers issues.

I happen to have those corner drawers and for my purposes they are great. The big difference is my kitchen is larger at almost 13' deep x 15'8" wide so I have room for a lot more storage. In fact, I have a few cabinets with almost nothing in them. The OP doesn't have that advantage as her kitchen is smaller so she needs to get the best storage out of every single space. For the OP's kitchen, it's still wasted space and the larger regular drawers as I proposed would be better. :D

Should I be concerned that the corner draws would hit each other’s handles?

When designed properly they won't.

Below you can see my corner drawers.

Excuse the mess. (My middle corner drawer holds pot holders and towels and the bottom drawer holds small glass containers for things like having a scoop of ice cream or some nuts.

• cpartist
    last year

Op, one other question. The fridge is by itself. You bring in groceries so where do you put the groceries down to load them into the fridge. Or conversely, you need to take out lots of things from the fridge?

Where do the openings to the left and right of the fridge lead to?

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

If I have my back to the fridge. To the right leads to garage door and hallway to laundry and powder. To the left is breakfast area which leads to living room. I’d be walking in with groceries from garage door and using island

• Panda Bear
    Original Author
    last year

Also beautiful kitchen!

• cpartist
    last year

Thank you.

My first house had a small kitchen in that the kitchen was all of 10' wide. Back then we didn't have drawers for lowers, but I did make any of my lower cabinets as wide as possible.

• Mrs Pete
    last year

I'm coming in late, but here are my thoughts:

- To answer the original question, I'd go with just one glass-front cabinet, and I'd make it the corner angled cabinet.

- As others have said, the aisle behind the island stools is too narrow. Additionally, you're going to have a table within arm's reach, so island seating isn't needed. I'd do away with the island stools altogether and have a deeper island with cabinets opening on two sides.

- I would like to see a larger window over the sink /would give up some upper cabinet space to get that larger window.

- Yes to drawers instead of pull-outs.

- I would go with a Super Susan in the corner /I'd store pots and pans in it.

- This kitchen isn't all that big. I'd downsize the range to 30" to get a little more cabinet space.

- I'd store spices in the upper cabinet to the right of the cooktop.

- Is that a bump-out on an exterior wall for the refrigerator? This will be expensive. And then you'll need to run water to that area so you can have an ice maker. Though this goes against what I said a moment ago, I'd bring the refrigerator into the "L" (though that isn't ideal) and to with a pantry (which wouldn't require the bump-out) in the refrigerator's current spot.