SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_271732978

Does very young bamboo look like grass, or am I fooling myself?

oldmobie
last year
last modified: last year

I dug up two culms of my bamboo some time ago (like last spring.) I cut them down to about an inch above ground and put them in an air prune box to grow them out and see if they took. They aren't growing anything that looks like bamboo, but each one has what looks like grass. I don't recognize the kind of grass from anywhere else on the property. It doesn't seem to spread away from the bamboo roots. I transplanted them into pots this spring and a few sprigs got separated. I put the sprigs back into the air prune box. They aren't spreading either, though they're getting a little taller. I'm trying to find out if these are going to become new groves of bamboo in time, or if I'm wasting my time on some kind of grass and need to dig new bamboo starts. I'll attach a picture or two. Let me know if I can help folks answer better with more or better pictures.

(I'd offer the botanical name, but I've lost it. It grows about 12- 16 feet tall. The stems are yellow. The fattest culms are about 1/3 the diameter of my wrist. It's growing in zone 6 in South West Missouri.)

Comments (4)