SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tina_kashyap

staining red oak floors

tina kashyap
last year
last modified: last year

Hello,

We are in the process of home building where it's time to choose the interior paints and Hardwood stains. We were hoping to go with lighter hardwood floors for easy care and maintenance because (1) darker floors show every spec of dust and (2) we have seen scratches on darker floors in our friends homes with pets. Though we do not have pets of our own, we love our friends' pups and always welcome them into our home.

We have open floor plan and our cabinets are already ordered - Lafata (simple shaker style) white for perimeter and Lafata Rye on island with Calacatta Laza quartz countertops. We love clean lines, minimal and elegant design.

The builder asked us to choose from Minwax stains. The flooring is red oak. We did try weather oak and classic gray on our floor and while I liked both, I am worried it might bring up the orange tones when applied to larger area.

I have been researching on this and the more I read, the more confused I am. Would lighter tones always bring the yellow / orange / red undertone? How best can we achieve the lighter look that goes well with our cabinets and counter tops and tie everything together and look elegant? We will have to select the stain and also SW wall colors and time is running out. I initially had SW Alabaster / Snowbound in my mind, but I am not sure how well all this will tie up. Any suggestions / help from your experiences is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments (31)