SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
guy_with_a_house

Precast Concrete Step Bolted to Foundation - Prevent Frost Heaves?

guy_with_a_house
last year
last modified: last year

I have a precast concrete step that's just a single slap step (not stairs). It is supported by a bracket that is attached to the foundation under the side door. I was told by the contractor that you need to leave a gap under it, or frost heaves will tear it right off.

The problem: The driveway was paved years back right up to the step. Since there is a gap under the step, soil/gravel has been collapsing under it, and the asphalt has been undercut and so is also collapsing. I want to have some pavers come in and fix up my driveway, but I need to make sure it doesn't just collapse under the step again.

Can I fill in under the step with coarse gravel? Or does that present a frost heave risk?

Do I need a barrier that prevents the collapse while keeping a gap under the step?

Should I just have the step removed, pave the whole area, and build a wooden step? I like the precast step, though.

Thanks.

EDIT: Photo added. I'm fairly certain there are no piers under the step. It is supported by the bracket that holds it to the foundation. I don't need to hold it up, I need to make sure the frost doesn't push it up. If I can't fix this without removing it, I may just remove it permanently and do something else.

Comments (5)