SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kingofthemonarchs

Butterfly Weed growing in strange form!

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster!

I hope someone can help me with a strange issue affecting one of my Butterfly Weeds (A. tuberosa). I have numerous specimens throughout my garden (zone 6, Hudson Valley of New York), and all are growing very well.

This one is actually my oldest specimen and has been in the ground for 6 years now. I've never had any issue with it, and it has always thrived alongside my other Butterfly Weeds in full sun in clay-loam. I know Butterfly Weeds have issues with poorly drained soils and clay, so I've always succeeded with them in the highest, best-draining parts of my property, and a few of my plants are the 'variant' of the species that grows better in clay (sold by Prairie Nursery).

This year, for some reason, the vast majority of the shoots on this plant are growing in a much more compact fashion, with very small, chlorotic looking leaves compared too all my other, healthier Butterfly Weeds. The even stranger part is that 2-3 shoots of this plant have come out normally, with taller stems, and larger, lusher, darker green foliage. I'm positive that these shoots are all coming out of the same plant crown. I've always deadheaded this one well before the seed pods develop, so there's no chance it's a seedling growing next to the mother plant.

In any event, does anyone have any idea why the original plant has suddenly grown so "stunted" and chlorotic" this year in the same conditions as all my other thriving Butterfly Weeds? And also why it has the random 2-3 shoots that are growing normally?

Photo 1 shows the whole plant with the stunted, chlorotic growth at right and the normal, larger green shoots at left.

Photos 2 and 3 show close-ups of the ”stunted” and ”normal” shoots:

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor