SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

In praise of Sambucus "Sunrise Surprise"

ostrich
last year

As someone who lives way up north (in Zone 4a Edmonton, Alberta!) I really miss Japanese maples which I used to have when I lived in Zone 5 before. So I am very partial to plants with lace-like leaves, such as elderberry shrubs. These are my "Japanese maple substitutes'!

Over the years, I have had good luck with Sambucus "Black Lace" (one of my favourites!) and I really liked my Sambucus "Morden Golden Glow" which I had in my last house, but I could not easily find it in the stores. After I moved houses, I tried Sambucus "Lemony" - well, all 3 of them died after one year because of verticillium wilt! Since they were all at different spots, I really thought that it was more than a coincidence.... anyway, last year, I replaced them with two 2-gallon small Sambucus "Sunrise Surprise" which I got at the end of the season at a big box store, and they essentially had 2 to 3 almost bare stems each.... to my absolute delight, both came back vigorously this season with beautiful foliage and blooms, with no winter dieback at all, despite our severe winter last year! So far, I have been really impressed by these beauties.

I think that I am going to plant more of them in my yard! They make such a delightful companion to my Black Lace, which is nearby in the bed across this one shown above :-)

BTW, why is it that it is called "Welsh Gold" in Europe but "Sunrise Surprise" in North America? Or am I misunderstanding this?

Comments (7)