SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

New Quintessence video

mtnrdredux_gw
last year
last modified: last year

I always love these, tho the host gets on my nerves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIC6_uIX6sM

My main take aways:

1. Of course I love the palette

2. Really unusual to take the crushed stone right up to the foundation. Our driveways are crushed stone, and i love that, but this may be too much

3. Love the pair of photos in the LR. This image is TDF. Do not show my DDs tho, they will want this instead of my vignette.

4. He really "found' Keith Haring grafitti? Sounds apocryphal.

5. I'm so happy he has lichen all over his stone terraces. We do too and i like it but was wondering...

6. He has 3, count 'em 3, Hermes blankets prominent in 3 diff rooms. IMHO that is a fail, esp for a professional. That is called throwing money at a design need.

7. Art on the floor is wrong. Says the lady with "art" next to her stove before it was a thing.

Comments (23)

• Ida
    last year

Lovely, interesting and engaging. I liked pretty much everything.

• jojoco
    last year

Didn't like the art on the floor--even if his dogs now can enjoy it (says he). Didn't love the dense "collection landscape" (the stuff that didn't make the cut for the store. Loved the idea of using just three colors (browns, whites and creams) so that everything will match without over thinking it. Loved the patio covered with lichen. Somehow mine only gets tall weeds.

Off to slipcover all my cottage furniture in white.

• Bookwoman
    last year

He really "found' Keith Haring grafitti? Sounds apocryphal

It's entirely possible. His drawings were all over the subway in the early '80s - I wish I had known to take one! I just looked it up:

"Haring drew over 5,000 chalk drawings over a five-year period, from 1980 to 1985, in New York City subway stations (visit the Keith Haring Foundation website to see his work year by year)." https://smarthistory.org/keith-haring-subway-drawings/

• rubyclaire
    last year

I really loved everything. The art on the floors may be not so much but it seems to work for them. The color palette is so well done

• Oakley
    last year

I try to keep my house camera ready like Bruce does. I really do. I bet his partner doesn't move the coffee table centerpiece off to the far side so he can eat his meal while watching sports, and never EVER puts the centerpiece back in it's proper place. It must be nice. :)

• teeda
    last year

I really, really like their home. It combines a little bit of all the decorating styles/eras that I have always loved. Beautifully done. And I love the doggies!

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

I love this! Just beautiful, the palette, their great taste, the incredible art, including the art on the floors…I may have to try out that idea. I particularly loved the bedroom, and the outdoor spaces, too. Thanks for sharing this.

• palimpsest
    last year

Those are prints of full size paintings from Robert Longo's Men in the Cities series from the 1980s as seen in Patrick Bateman's apartment in American Psycho.

I think these are interesting in the sense that they were instantly recognizable in the Manhattan art world of the 1980s almost to the point of seeming trite perhaps, but in that context only (not like the universally reproduced Patrick Nagel) ...so what sort of niche do they occupy now?

mtnrdredux_gw thanked palimpsest
  • palimpsest
    last year

As for the Keith Haring I am going to say not impossible but not easily verified. I know someone who knows someone who lived in an apartment in a building Haring had lived in. There was some graffiti on a fridge and they contacted Haring who not only would not sign it after the fact but would not verify it.

If you want to see something interesting about art verification and forgery watch the documentary about the Knoedler Gallery and Ann Freedman who unwittingly (allegedly) sold some $50M of counterfeit abstract expressionist paintings. This partly resulted from the ambivalent opinions of experts to say in no uncertain terms that these newly discovered works were counterfeit for fear of being sued by owners who would instantly lose an investment of millions of dollars.

• Kswl
    last year

My dogs would tinkle on those framed photos and prints on the floor. Any kind of painting with an unprotected canvas would be damaged just by being on the floor in dust. IMO that is not a hallmark of displaying a treasured possession but rather a poor solution to overflow.

The Hermes blankets and throws were a hint of trying too hard, which I found weird and surprising—especially the one on the bed oddly placed to make sure the logo was noticeable.

I liked the crushed stone apron, which is typical in some parts of the world.

Who fills a gorgeous window seat with tchotchkes bought by, his admission, specifically to fill it up?

Overall, do not aspire to. The presenter …. ugh.

• Jilly
    last year

Enjoyed that very much, thank you!

LOOK:

Lucite lamp! (I like mine better.)

Pal, we watched American Psycho last week (it was on cable). The business card scene cracks me up every time.

We always debate: sick fantasies or he really did any of that? I say fantasies.

• palimpsest
    last year

Plus they make fake Hermes Avalon logo blankets at 1/10th the price.

• Jackie Brown
    last year

I loved the house and the interior color palette. There are several interesting and beautiful homes on the Quintessence channel. I can only watch with the sound off because I find the host so annoying.

• Kswl
    last year

Brilliant idea, Jackie. I used to watch Brad Pitt movies the same way. 😎

• nicole___
    last year

I noticed Jinx's lamp immediately! Ellen DeGeneres has Hermes on the backs of chairs in the main room too. I think they look scratchy. I want plush, soft throws....

The color palate is GORGEOUS. The collected pieces...just every piece in there is art! Very choice!

• Bunny
    last year

All those paintings on the floor are booby traps, every bit as dangerous for me as using a step stool. And I guess my house is missing a sense of humor.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    last year

Good idea to watch w sound off! Can I also get a filter that fixes her hair?

Yes, my husband's pillow skills are lacking. What's more, he thinks my pillows are nuisance!

My issue is that he is, I would imagine, supposed to be some sort of decor expert. Plopping 3 Hermes throws around a monochromatic house is not very original. I will say they are not scratchy!

• rubyclaire
    last year

While I am quite sure I would not spring for even one Hermes throw myself, I do really like the graphic design and colors. So I can totally see being enamored with them and what they might add to a fairly monochromatic home.

• palimpsest
    last year

In Patrick Bateman's apartment the Robert Longo work appears to be "Frank" (1980) and "Gretchen" (1980) although there are Franks turned the other way.

In this house the male is untitled from 1980 and I don't know who the female is.

By the 1990s there were other variants like Frank and Glenn (1991), which I don't think are quite as successful because they aren't ambiguous. You have no idea why the individuals are contorted, but these two are clearly grappling.

As for the house I like it for for the most part, but it's not exactly earthshaking either, it's a pretty standard genre piece for "rich guy in the North Atlantic States". You can almost tell from the decor he is going to be a tubby white guy who favors cashmere sweaters. I was trying to see if he had horse-bit loafers on.

mtnrdredux_gw thanked palimpsest
  • Mimou-GW
    last year

A little OT but if you want art on the floor, there is a Keith Haring collection at Ruggables lol

• palimpsest
    last year

You can get prints of some of the Longo M i C on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/market/robert_longo

• Irish2
    last year

Thanks for the link Mtn.!

Loved the color palette. The kitchen was lovely and my favorite part of the video was the outdoor spaces and the adorable westies.

^^ Her voice was not pleasing to listen to

but then my RI accent probably isn’t either!