SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tozmo1

A Dorothy Draper update - What would you do? Progress

tozmo1
last year
last modified: last year

I love Dorothy Draper. I have a guest bedroom that is a clean slate that I would love to do in a Dorothy Draper look that is updated for a less ornate sensibility for today.

What elements would you bring in? What kind of furniture i.e. dresser, chest, bed side tables? Rugs? Lamps? Need an overhead light of some kind for sure.

A little back ground:

• The bedroom is around 12 x 12, with two windows, one a double, one a single.
  • Flooring is light oak.
  • I'm a recovering thrift store/estate sale addict with a particular affection for chairs so I've committed to using the stuff I've collected over the years or getting rid of it. Some of them are below for consideration
  • As part of of my clean out, I found two gallons of expensive SW paint in Nearly Peach, so I painted the walls that color. I love it, looks sooo cozy. Trim is bright white gloss for Dorothy.
  • Queen mattress, no bed frame, gave that away so open to ideas for a bed.
  • I love black and white, maybe do a large stripe somewhere
  • No floral chintz please but would go with Brazilliance

Here's the windows:

Could I use these chairs? Black or white frames with some Dorothy approved print fabric?

Or incorporate my Milo Baughman's I fell in love with but can't figure out what to do with them (I have 8, two have arms). Please ignore the mess in my chair storage area, that's not the bedroom I'm doing.

Go big or go home, here's my plan. I have everything but the headboard and the Stanton Barbados carpet which I'll do as an area rug. My chair is slightly different, a 1940's arm chair with a lot of elegance I picked up at an estate sale in the North Shore of Chicago, many years ago.

Comments (28)