SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

Looking for bed sheet recommendations

foodonastump
last year

I’m sure this topic has been covered before, and I’ll look, but in the meantime I figured I’d ask for recommendations specific to what I want.

Despite my best efforts, our sheets are more ivory than white at this point. And I don’t love them anyway. I posted about the permanent creases in the top hem a while back, and while the concensus was a quality issue that I didn’t quite understand, I’ve accepted that as fact. I also fine the top sheet a few inches short. My wife likes the bed made high, and when I start by matching the top of the sheet to the head of the mattress, there’s only about five inches to tuck under the foot. Would prefer more. The feel of the fabric itself I like: somewhat crisp without feeling cheap.

So, any recommendations for generously sized, crisp sheets that look better than this coming out of the dryer? Money is no object. (Actually it is but I don’t want that to sway recommendations.)

Thanks!

Comments (67)

• nickel_kg
    last year
    last modified: last year

For what it's worth, here's a vote for Redlands cotton sheets. My criteria is different than yours, however! Instead of "snow white" I prefer natural cotton, or any light color. Wrinkles don't bother me enough to get out the iron. I care about how they feel, fit, and longevity. For some reason, DH's toenails always seem to cut through bedsheets! Honestly he keeps his feet in good condition, it's not like the nails are sharp, but regular sheets get shredded within a year. So I bought Redlands maybe 18 months ago (?) and they are holding up perfectly. They feel good and fit our queen bed nicely. I now have two sets and hope to not buy any more sheets for a decade at least.

foodonastump thanked nickel_kg
  • foodonastump
    Original Author
    last year

I appreciate all the recs even if they’re not particularly narrowing it down! 😃

I’ve noticed on the reviews of deep pocket sheets (Fieldcrest specifically) that some people complain that the fitted sheet is so big that it doesn’t stay in place. Has anyone had this issue? What’s ”fits up to 18 inches” going to lie like on my ≈13” mattress?

• Related Discussions

Sheet Vinyl Recommendations - Kitchen

Q

Comments (3)
    We have Congoleum in our kitchen and it's very nice and easy to clean. We got it at HD as the prepacked cheap stuff ($60 for 9x12) - it was supposed to be temporary until I picked a better vinyl but I actually like this one so it stays. I didn't know the brand when I picked it but we went to HD and I refused to leave till I decided on something (my husband was going to kill me). I just bought 7 rolls of prepackaged Armstrong for $10 each at Lowes - not bad looking for normally $55. I think all the name brands are decent. It just depends on how much padding you want it to have (more expensive stuff has it, which is what I originally wanted). It is very DIY friendly - just make a paper template, cut, double stick tape and use a drop of trim molding around the edge or you can glue it down (I wanted easy removal). Alot of it depends on how much you want to spend - originally I didn't care, but happen to find nice stuff I liked at a great price.
    ...See More

Twin XL Bed Sheets that Don't Look Like Theyre For a College Dorm

Q

Comments (4)
    The Company Store has some damask stripe extra long twin sheets. Here is a link that might be useful: The Company Store
    ...See More

Recommendation for sheets that FIT!

Q

Comments (16)
    Joyce - buying sheets has become too complicated. I tried to buy sheets for the double bed in the guest room. We had the same problem - the sheets were definitely sized for a much fuller mattress. I wish I could still buy my all time favorite sheets - Wamsutta Supercale 50%cotton and 50% poly. They were cool, crisp, came out of the dryer fairly unwrinkled and never wore out. I have some sets where the elastic finally gave out and I replaced it, the sheets themselves are still in great shape. Luckily when I realized that Wamsutta was discontinuing them I purchased 6 sets - 2 sets for each bed. Thanks irish for the Pottery Barn suggestion. I'm in Moorestown, NJ just across the river from Philly. Maybe I can talk my DD into a drive this summer to Lancaster when she's in between jobs. Then on my return I can browse the Amish farms for quilts!
    ...See More

Looking for names of quality sheet tile look flooring

Q

Comments (0)
    In an effort to update a kitchen that is very dated, I am looking for a sheet floor that is not a wood look, but a tile look. Can anyone recommend brand names of flooring and also what I should avoid. Thank you. Also can anyone comment on Flexitech flooring by IVC Group?
    ...See More
  • Jasdip
    last year

I love crisp sheets!!!

We bought a lot of ours at thrift shops. The best ones are Kirkland brand. Supima cotton. Very generously sized (too much even). I took them out of the laundry pile, hence the wrinkles. They're a crisp cotton. We bought them for $20, like new and seen them at Costco for $90. They're a soft mauve with pale stripes.

Other ones we bought at Beddington. They have the corded seams on the fitted sheet to keep them in place. I don't know the brand.

foodonastump thanked Jasdip
  • petalique
    last year

FOAS, there is a term for that pleating. I came across it on GW/Houzz, I think on home dec convo. I have a Laura Ashley set that does that. I think it is a defect in the weaving.

I have not tried Bean’s sheets. I have found that in the past 4 to five years it’s gotten increasingly difficult to find quality cotton products. Cotton is expensive and it seems that there have been a lot of economizing short cuts taken to maximize profits while fobbing of low quality, short staple cottons.

I like crisp cotton sheets with substance. I truly dislike that satine junk.

I am still searching.

foodonastump thanked petalique
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

FOAS - I never buy sets. I buy the fitted that best fits my bed (happens to be CA King), flat and cases for my standard pillows (many) separately. All are white or ivory, mix or match.

foodonastump thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • chisue
    last year

My Macy's Martha Stewart 400 count percales have that nasty weave problem on the top hems, but they are *plenty long* for a deep fold at the top. I spend 15 minutes ironing only the top third of our kings and three regular size cases. The fitted bottoms are taut on our 15" deep mattress. A single set is good for a year-plus, changing weekly. After that, they get a little too limp for me. Percale irons super fast. Now...if you don't want the king cases these come with, you're on your own to buy shorter ones, or you can alter the kings.

foodonastump thanked chisue
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    last year

If you don't mind wrinkles, the Red Land sheets do not crease at the top of the flat sheet. The bottom sheet fits my huge mattress well and has elastic all around to fit smaller sizes. They have two depths of bottom sheets. They are very sturdy. However, the top sheet is too short for the over size mattress.

I do not like wrinkles and I am not ironing. I also think that they should of made the top sheet longer to reflect that I ordered the extra deep sheets. That is why the low rating and the do not buy.

I did post a review on their web page and they got it, but I haven't seen it published. It was NOT a 4 or 5 star review, so I do suspect they are filtering reviews.

foodonastump thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • Judi
    last year

I'm like your wife. I like a generous top fold and I get it with these sheets.

What is a top fold?

foodonastump thanked Judi
  • Jasdip
    last year

Judi, I'm assuming long enough material to fold back generously over the cover.

foodonastump thanked Jasdip
  • Judi
    last year

Oh, you're probably right. I pull everything (flat sheet, duvet, and quilt) up to the headboard then pillows placed on top.

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    last year

Yes but what I meant was not the amount folded over so much as how high on the bed the fold is. I’d normally pull up blanket and fold at around 18” inches off the head of the mattress, she likes it more like 12”. Of course it it all sort of amounts to the same thing: actual lengyh of the sheet.

• elcieg
    last year

Great post! I am ashamed to admit, after 54 years of marriage, I am still on the hunt for the best sheets. I fall for all the 5* reviews and then I give them a 1*. Here is BHG's suggestion. $20.00?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0154ASID6?linkCode=ogi&tag=goodhousekeeping_auto-append-20&ascsubtag=%5Bartid%7C10055.g.3038%5Bsrc%7C%5Bch%7C%5Blt%7C&th=1

I remember reading an article about the sheets Jackie Kennedy loved. I would have to take out a home equity line of credit.

https://dporthaultparis.com/products/violettes-pink-10547?variant=9297344233516

Has anyone tried silk?

• eld6161
    last year

I like Martha Stewart. I try to wait for a sale.

• socks
    last year

I see the Kirkland Signature sheets at Costco are 680 thread count. Does this mean they will be heavy, thick? I'm not a "thread count snob" but Kirkland quality is pretty good usually.

The Penney's sheets shared by Nicole are a steal. I might order them.

Is there a name for that top hem piece on the top sheets?

• foodonastump
    Original Author
    last year

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that thread count is a false indication of quality and softness.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Are there two Cuddledown companies? We have an American one as well. It's based in Maine. I bought duvets from them many years ago.

• Tootsie
    last year

Believe it or not but Target Threshold sheets are great. Get all cotton. They have an extra elastic in the corner that keeps them tight!

• lily316
    last year

I might try Target's Threshold since they discontinued carrying Shabby Chic sheets which I love and have used for years. I always line dry my sheets and bring them straight to the bed every week.

• kculbers
    last year

I love Lands End and Kate Spade cotton bedding. My cream matelasse coverlet and matching box spring cover, from Lands End, is 20 years old and looks great!! I dry my sheets till slightly damp in the dryer, then hang them to fully dry. They last a long time that way. I do the same with all my and husband’s cotton clothing too.

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

I’ve noticed on the reviews of deep pocket sheets (Fieldcrest specifically) that some people complain that the fitted sheet is so big that it doesn’t stay in place. Has anyone had this issue?

Yes! I find it extremely annoying.

• chisue
    last year

I found Target's Threshold products to wear very well; bought them for our VRBO condo.

• whistle_b
    last year

I have Fieldcrest sheets and they have folded wrinkles at the top and the sides fold over several times. So annoying!!! And I do iron the tops because I can't stand the wrinkles. The problem with the length of the top sheet is the depth of today's mattresses! I don't like that either.

last year

Lily those Shabby Chic linens were amazing. We bought a king sized quilt eons ago when the boys were little. We abused that quilt. It was a picnic blancket, an extra blanket going to hotels, a blanket used in fort building, plus is was super nice looking. It lasted over 10 years before showing signs of wear.

Thanks to this thread I ordered an LLBean duvet cover and pillow cases for DS2. The Indian cotton sheets I raved about a while ago are not holding up at all.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    last year

I discovered this brand a couple of years ago and only buy their products. Sheets and quilts.

Devereux Bedding. We love the feel of the sheets!

"Home | Devereux Bedding" https://devereuxbedding.com

• Bluebell66
    last year

I really liked the Target Threshold sheets and they are generously sized for your purposes….but they shrank. The fitted sheets became too difficult to put on the bed. Both the 680 and 800 thread count Kirkland sheets at Costco get very good reviews; we have tried the 800 and they are quite thick and not very crisp. We have also tried the damask at Macy’s and found they shrank, too. I usually use medium heat on the dryer and take them out before completely dry so I’m not sure whats up with the shrinking. (Now I only use low heat and currently using bamboo sheets which feel great but are quite sloppy on the bed which we so not enjoy.)

• Valinta
    last year

Crisp sheets are 100% cotton percale with a tight weave of 400 count or higher. Packages have measurements on them as well as mattress depth on the fitted bottom sheet. Wamsutta is my favorite.

• Valinta
    last year

Hit post too soon. While expensive, I have Wamsutta sheets that are over 10 years old and look good, but I also have 2 sets so they are rotated when sheets are changed. Also, do not bleach. It breaks down the fibers.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

food, did you buy anything? I ended up having to buy sheets. I hadn't planned on it, but I had somebody come in town for my mom's funeral and we just didn't have nice enough sheets. I didn't want to spend a lot of money since it might be a one-time thing.

After my company left, I have fallen in love with them. Here's the link to completely affordable and incredibly soft sheets.

https://www.target.com/p/microfiber-solid-sheet-set-room-essentials/-/A-13521110

Maybe they can work for you too, I don't know how long they are 😉

• dimac83
    last year

Has to be 100% cotton and I never iron sheets, just take them right out of the dryer and put them right on the bed.

• sprtphntc7a
    last year

i bought these

very pleased. top sheet is generous, maybe too long. they do wrinkle but i am fine with that. nice, crisp percale!!

• jane__ny
    last year

You spent $195.00 on one pair of sheets!

I really have changed my opinion of all cotton. They wrinkle, king sheets are hard to fold without getting wrinkled. They feel heavy...I live in steamy Florida.

I'm thinking of trying microfiber sheets for coolness and no wrinkles.

Jane

• claudia valentine
    last year

Nothing beats the feel of good cotton. Linen is a second choice to cotton but I think that most cotton sheets perform better than linen. Microfibers I avoid at all costs.

I dont understand what it matters if your sheets have wrinkles. I dont get it.

So many newer mattresses are the high and deep ones and so many sheets are made for them. I find those deep pocket sheets difficult to fold to put away.

Some folks are sewing their own sheets. I would not bother, but there are many who do.

• Elizabeth
    last year

Another vote for Fieldcrest percale. I have used them most of my life. They are crisp, light, smooth and wrinkle resistant. I also have some Martha Stewart sheets I have had for many many years and they are as nice as a Fieldcrest. Both brands last a long time and the patterns don't seem to fade.

I have one set that is a "Hotel" brand but find them very thick and heavy and they wrinkle deeply. Just a lumpy mess.

• sprtphntc7a
    last year

jane_ny, i guess u are talking to me ?!

actually a little bit more, since we have a CalKing :)

not that i have to explain my spending habits, but we totally gutted our BR, new mattress etc.. and wanted nice, percale sheets... we went from a King to CalKing, so could not use what we had.

i also bought these. i only have these 2 sets and hope to have for at least 10 years. i switch off on each 'change'.

so far both have held up well, 2+ years... Snowe sheets are more of a true percale.

• Elizabeth
    last year

Microfiber sheets are polyester. Spun and woven plastic. Hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Miserable. I bought one set and got rid of them right away. They also do not stay on the mattress well.

last year

I bought the LLBean as reccomended above. I am very please. Thank you.

• PRO
    AiFL
    last year

I have a few sets of the Nate Berkus for Target sheets and they always come out of the dryer perfectly, and I’d guess the Threshold sheets are the same just different patterns/colors. But my absolute favorite are Lauren Ralph Lauren because they are so crisp, but like the RL shirts come out of the dryer a wrinkled mess.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

Microfiber has been breathable. Not hot in the summer. Can't vouch for winter yet. But, as someone who suffers hot flashes, NOT hot sheets in summer.

Maybe there are different types.

Not this set though

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

I love my Rough Linen sheets (100% linen). I put the bottom sheet on after washing (no drying, but washer wrings water out very well) and smooth it out. The sheet is crisp when dry. The flat sheets are large and I have a very generous turn-down at the top, 12 inches if I don't use a huge amount under the foot of the mattress, just enough that it won't come out. I have actually stopped using a top sheet now though because I have a duvet and with the cover, that is my top sheet. I prefer not to have my feet tucked in tightly. Putting the sheets on damp allows me to smooth them without ironing. If they go in the dryer, they are very soft rather than crisp.

• Judi
    last year

cyn427, so you have to wash your duvet cover every week? That would drive me nuts.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

Basically close to the same as washing a set of sheets. Not so difficult

• Judi
    last year

The hassle of removing and replacing the cover every week is what would drive me nuts. Much easier to remove and replace a flat sheet.

• Elaine Ricci
    last year

Hubby & I love our Comphy sheets.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

Judi, I really don't have trouble taking off or putting on the cover. You might want to check out Crane and Canopy to look at their Nova (I think) duvet cover. Innovative design. I don't have one like that, but might try it when mine need replacing. I keep getting emails from them!

• Judi
    last year

I watched the video. The zipper would be easier than the buttons on mine, but it still doesn't look like a fast process compared to using a flat sheet.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

Oh wait, that is not the cover I meant. Let me look. This one had a zipper partway down not at the end, so it looks easier. I do use the inside out method and that is easy for me, but this looks even easier. Of course, I just don't like anything tucked in at the bottom anymore (partly due to a knee replacement, I think, which made turning over difficult for several weeks and now I am used to it), but that is just a personal preference. I think most people like a tucked in top sheet. :-)

Nova cover

Sorry for the off-topic discussion FOAS!

• Judi
    last year

I think FOAS gave up on this thread. He's busy discussing fat acceptance on a political forum.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    last year

Yeah, I noticed they didn't answer my question.