FIND PROFESSIONALS
SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_maker

sieboldiana reset

hosta_maker
last month
last modified: last month

what most hosta gardeners know as sieboldiana the blue one as, is really a very cultivated plant like elegans. which most blues have been bred from. it does not exist in the wild as a species. It really has its drawbacks it is a slow grower and it is very dominant. so you get hundreds of look alikes.

elegans type

zilis and solberg went to japan in search of the closest thing they could find growing in the wild.

this is what they brought back.

Hakuma souvenir

it is quite wild looking. it needs a little taming

Its time to reset and start breeding blues to be less inbred to get some of those original characteristics into it. its a fast grower so that is a good start.

Comments (10)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last month

doesnt look anything like it.. unless its just a babe.. and will mature into something else.. what do you think ..

know of any pix of it in nature???

ken

• hosta_maker
    Original Author
    last month

He has the original shot from nature on his site. pretty floppy looking.

it seems like people got misinformed to the species long ago. its built into legend so called mythology now.

https://www.hostaguru.com/product/h-sieboldiana-hakama-souvenir/

it has some seriously sexy pollen. watch out ladies.

• djacobz568sewi
    last month

Hosta_maker, I love the blues…….but I thought that original blue started with Smith’s cross of the pollen from a late reblooming H sieboldiana and crossed it to the first flowers on a Tardiaflora scape. As you know the result was 14 blue seedlings which created the Tardianas, of which Halcyon was considered to be the perfect blue. I thought before this, blues did not really exist. Soooooo, help me understand what you are saying about sieboldana here. Always ready to learn.

debra

• hosta_maker
    Original Author
    last month

europe had forms of sieboldiana in the 1880s long time ago.

smith enhanced it with the tardiflora crosses in 1960? tardiflora has heavy clear wax. not sure of the exact date.

so elegans types were probably being refined/inbred 100 years prior. blue wax

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    last month

Mine did an extra early flowering this year way ahead of everything else. I'm hoping for some selfed seed from it.

• hosta_maker
    Original Author
    last month

steve you will get more of the same. bill nash used to say he could get copies thru seed for landscapers merely by growing the seed.

except he probably had to wait 4-5 years because it grows slow

• djacobz568sewi
    last month

Wow steve, I can just barely see a scape coming up on my Elegans.
    debra

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last month

it has some seriously sexy pollen

==>>> dude. i think we discussed this before. crikey .. lol ..

• djacobz568sewi
    last month

Well ken, I guess when you are a “maker” even of plants, all matters of sex apply…….lolol
    debra