SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flintridge

Small roses on new Morden blush rose

Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
last year
last modified: last year

I planted a morden blush rose this year in my east facing front yard. It seems to be growing and blooming. I was a little concerned that it wouldn't have enough sunlight. I did notice that the flowers are fairly small and not as full as the ones I've seen online. Could this be from the lack of sunlight or is it because it's only it's first year in the ground? I also find after about a week, they're sort of losing that peachy pink color and are almost white. The centers also lose their yellow and turn brown. That said, we've had some realy stormy weather with lots of rain so maybe that's why the yellow is disappearing. Thoughts?

Comments (57)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

4-8 petals on HMF roses for Sally.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last year

37 petals on Prince Jardenier per HMF roses.

• Related Discussions

WANTED: Wanted: Morden Blush rose cuttings

Q

Comments (0)
    Have daylilies, iris, peonies, and other roses cuttings to trade.
    ...See More

White Morden Rose

Q

Comments (6)
    The morden roses are also named the parkland series. Under the parkland series, there is a white rose called "Morden Snowbeauty". The Cdn Rose Society says it's named as such because of it's snow white flowers. It grows 1-3 feet high and wide, resistant to black spot and powder mildew. I have never grown this one, but it might be your best bet if you must have a white morden rose. How do rugosa roses do for you? The only problem is possibly chlorosis on our clay soils. There is a small rugosa in the Explorer series called "Henry Hudson". 1-1/2 to 2 feet high, 3 feet wide, with white blooms throughout the summer. Sometimes the blooms might have a very very slight pinkish tint. Then there is the other Morden rose, "Morden blush". Not true white, but the blossoms often range from blush pink to ivory. In cool weather they are more pinkish, warm weather more ivory. It hits 2 feet high if that. I have attached a link to the Cdn Rose Society website, it gives good descriptions of hardy roses. Here is a link that might be useful: Canadian Rose Society
    ...See More

Please recommend a small climbing rose for new rose grower

Q

Comments (4)
    You might tell her to try something like Altissimo, a beautiful, single (5 petals) red rose, or maybe Climbing Pinkie, which is a little larger and should also be okay in your climate. Pinkie has clusters of small pink fully-petaled flowers and is probably the more disease-resistant of the two. But, be aware, no rose is going to be disease-resistant or flower well with less than 5 or 6 hours of direct sunlight a day.
    ...See More

Another face of Morden Blush & Prairie Harvest

Q

Comments (2)
    people, just stop it. I still have 7 roses to get into the ground and one to move. . not to mention all the tubing and drippers to run to all the new ones. . . and I've already started my NEW wishlist and now I have two more to add to it. I have no self-control. Well, yes, actually I do. It's called a checkbook! That's the only thing that stops me. Cuz I'm hopeless. Hi, I'm wilo and I'm a rose-aholic. . . .
    ...See More
  • portlandmysteryrose
    last year

It does look kinda Hybrid Musky. Here’s my Penelope for another HM comparison. If you could cross Sally and Penelope, the result might look like your rose blooms. Ha, ha. How does your rose smell?

• portlandmysteryrose
    last year

Here‘s a cold climate thought: Oscar Peterson. Is Oscar’s foliage too glossy?

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Portlandmysteryrose, wow, very similar! those are beautiful!

Here’s a picture of the folliage on my rose.

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Another question for you all, let’s say that it is a hybrid musk rose, which are zoned for zone 5, wo would it survive our harsh winter in zone 3?

• portlandmysteryrose
    last year

I’ll have to leave answering that question to those in the know. When I lived in MN, I never tried HMs.

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

It also reminds me of this "bill reid" rose, but in pink. They're zoned for 3a. https://search.shelmerdine.com/11050002/Plant/18957/Bill_Reid_Rose

• portlandmysteryrose
    last year

Cold climate roses have come a long way over the last few decades! There are so many lovely ones now. Of course, that makes IDing a mystery rose a challenge. It’s not as hard as IDing one specific cultivar out of a gazillion Hybrid Teas, but it’s still not easy! Your rose is very pretty and so delicately colored. Like porcelain. I’ll bet pollinators are enjoying its single/semi double blooms.

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks so much! They are very pretty. The nursery said they''ll contact the supplier to find out what kind they are. Hopefully I hear back! And yes, the bees are loving those flowers. I caught one laying on a pedal the other day.

• mmmm12COzone5
    last year

I'm no help with identifying it but it is a pretty rose.

• portlandmysteryrose
    last year

@Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3), please do let us know when you have an ID!

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

I will most definitely report back with a proper identification once they respond. I hope they respond!

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

So I never did hear back from the nursery but in doing my own searching, it looks like I may have a chinook rose. I spoke to the owner of another nursery today and showed him a picture and he thought that was a strong possibility.

• portlandmysteryrose
    last year

Well, I know Chinook Sunrise is not what you ordered, Jo, but it looks like a really promising rose—4’x4’, disease resistant, blooms in flushes with sunrise colored blooms! I had to look it up on HMF. It sounds like it was only introduced in 2019, so I’d love to hear how it performs for you and whether you believe that ID is correct as your rose matures. It’s probably not widely grown yet with all the global interruptions the last few years. I still have a soft spot for cold climate roses and their breeders after living in MN. These tough beauties often make durable and fuss free plants elsewhere, too. Northern winters either kill us or make us adaptable and determined, right? Carol

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

You're definitely right. It is a beautiful rose and thank goodness it's zoned for zone 3. I have yet to see any truly peach colored blooms, which makes me wonder if it is indeed a chinook, but maybe that's to come? Some of the buds and flowers look peach when they've just opened but quickly fade. I had no idea this rose was created in 2019.

haha, yes, we're a different breed here in the north, although that doesn't stop us from complaining about the ridiculous cold each year. Thank God the summers are so nice and hot.

• rosecanadian
    last year

What do you think of a possible match with Fire Opal Kolorscape?

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.69172.2&tab=36

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Another contender! Who knew there were so many roses that were this similar in color and shape.

• rosecanadian
    last year

:) :)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last year

Dont think it Fire Opal which has huge shiny Kordes leaves and very thick stems. Also, FO will go from a pale apricot tinged colour to a deep russet with age and sun exposure. Great plant and hardy.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)

Hi, Jo,

You have Morden’s Blush & it’s a new bush. Your rose blooms are simply a little under developed as far as petals being bigger & more petals.

How tall is the new bush? If it is a small new bush about 1 foot in size they ofyen just have small first blooms & will big bigger w/more petals as tgey mature.

6hrs sun will help it to grow best. Many of my roses grow in morning sun for 6-8 hrs daily.

And is your rose normally fertilzed? Lack of fertilizer or enriched soil will stunt growth & lessen pink color. . Although a new rose in first few weeks w/ enriched soil doesnt need fertilized until 1 month old.

As far as color goes: When it’s in hot sun 75-80F+ buds will color up peachy-pink. Then when it blooms if it’s cool 68-75F-ish it will retain it’s peachy-pink color longer. In any cool weather it will usually retain it’s pretty colors. In hot sun, Morden blush fades quickly to all white & center browns. Normal.

If it’s getting less than 6 hrs sum it will grow & bloom smaller and less developed rose. I have had many new roses give me a tiny poorly developed bloom-but at least they are on their way to maturing w/ gorgeous blooms!!!

My 2 Morden Blush roses are new this spring 2022… sometimes faded… first blooms were not the best but it gets better….(I don't take photos when it turns white…)

First bloom was more pink first day then faded 2nd day below…

Faded again…

More colorful in buds

Very colorful on a cool day when it first opens

Give yours time, sun, good soil, fertilizer & it will mature w/ beautiful colors. 😋🥀😋

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Kitty,

That's super interesting. It's about 2.5 feet currently, sitting in a spot that gets close to 6 hours of sun and I have been fertilizing it once a week with Miracle Gro. It's very pretty as is but it would be nice if the blooms would become fuller, so here's hoping!

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)

What’s your temperatures now? It just needs to grow-mature-first blooms usually look weak. No worries! Most of my 1st blooms look “interesting!” Lol! They always get better!!!

My 2 Morden Blush rose bushes get 8-12+ hours sun…. They are in my most sunniest spots: morning south side of home & back yard… that's why they both fade in 1 day. But they grows fast due to the sunny spots, also.

I have roses in: 1. east morning sun front yard, 2. morning sun-south side of home, and

1. afternoon sun back yard-all over….. These 3 sides of home get good sun for roses.

Happy Gardening!!!

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    last year

Here’s mine. This is its third summer from a tiny 1 quart container. It’s got 50+ buds for its first flush.

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Kitty, The weather has been a little all over the place, on average about 26. We had one day when it was 40 degrees celcius and another it was 18, cold and overcast. But most days are in the 20s. im glad to hear its still possibly a morden blush as thats what i had my heart set on.

LClark, so pretty! i just love the color.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)

You are cooler in Canada so your roses will grow slower than mibe in hot NY… take awhile to mature. 20C is equal to 68F which is very cool for me. My TEMPS when my roses really grew & bloomed a lot were in mid70’s-80F. Your roses will be wonderful & grow tons as it warms up!

Have a lovely summer gardening!

@L Clark

Lovely morden’s Blush-50+ blooms-so exciting!!!! Much for Jo and I to look forward to in our second year!

• rosecanadian
    last year

LClark - that's what my Morden Blush was like...a bloomfest...when I grew it at my old house. Great rose!

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

@KittyNYz6 That could definitely be it. Our weahter is often all over the place. Last summer it was in the 30s for most of the summer and so so hot. This year has definitely been on the cooler side.

• VStapes (Manitoba z3)
    last year

I have both Morden Blush and Chinook Sunrise and this definitely looks more like Chinook Sunrise. Also in Manitoba.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@VStapes (Manitoba z3)

Chinock Sunrose is ” a lot more orange-peach in budding & usual opening bud performance than Morden Blush.” Morden Blush is a more light blush pink/buds a blush pink, too. Thank you for your ideas.

However, Jo’s rose buds a blush pink and opens a blush pink same as Morden Blush. Jo!s rose us just a new small rose & under developed due to cool weather, too.. Her rose is just under developed and when mature will add more petals & be a bigger bloom. Her’rose is a Morden Blush.

Happy Gardening!

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)

Examinig your petals & leaves closely I see it trying to devlop bigger petals, more rounded bloom over all shape,, more petals & ruffled petals……just like Morden Blush when mature….

Jo’s photos enlarged to see round shape

Jo’s photo enlarged-starting to ruffle

Jo’s photo enlarged here, adding more petals, changing to some ruffles, bigger rounder oetals… closer to Morden’s blush. Just a few development steps behind my rose below photo…..scroll down….

My photo Morden Blush (Mine little faded, not mature either-a new rose.) See the ruffles similarity? Some of the petal’s size are identical to my oetals in width-shape, too.

And Jo’s leaves are identical to my Morden Blush rose….

Jo’s enlarged photo leaves…

My leaves also are darker blue green, but faded cameta exposure in this photo to light green due to bright afternoon sun…..we are having 80-90F but, shape of leaf identical to yours. My dark green leaves looked just like yours in real life.

My Morden Blush leaf photo…. leaves are actually darker blue green than this photo…Notice feather edges of leaves identical…

My Morden B is getting a lot of sun now… so fading to almost light peach center. It varies from more true pink in cool to light peach in hot sun & white when all faded out in sun.

Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3) thanked KittyNYz6
  • L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    last year

Imo it is something other than Morden Blush, but I stink at ID’ing roses

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

@KittyNYz6 Thanks so much for breaking that down. You're definitely giving me hope that it's indeed a morden blush. The weather is still pretty chilly for the next week or so but then it looks like we should be getting hotter temps. Summer is usually very hot for us but June is always hit or miss.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Lets chat in awhile when it gets warmer & yours has second flush. Morden blush blooms & blooms… almost continous, but in flushes. Again , it’s more vigorous in warmer sunshine. Have a lovely summer for now!!! Blessings!!!

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

@KittyNYz6 Sounds good! i thought I would add a picture of one of the buds as they are quite peach in color.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)

Looks just like my Morden Blush buds.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)

My new 2 Morden Blushes rose bushes bloom every week….. a few new blooms….

Adding a few frills and it’s been cool w/rain lately this summer so I see more peachy pink colors!

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Its funny you just posted. I was thinking of you today when I went to water my roses and noticed a few different looking blooms on my mystery rose. They do look more like a Morden Rose bloom. I thought to myself “I think Kitty just might be right”. Yours are gorgeous! I’m just starting to get a lot of buds so I’m interested in seeing what they will look like.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)

Lovely Morden Blush! Yours is maturing! . Give her a season or so….it will add many ruffly petals!

I was looking at my last year “newbie roses,” just now…2 of them looked immature & I could not recognize then as what they should be: Stawberry Hill & Eglantyne. Eglantyne-it had so few petals I was sure it was Heritage instead. And SH just had few oetals so it looked kinda simple-no one thought it was special. Today I saw my Eglantyne & realized it really was Eglantine @not Heritage,” , a year later-more petals-mature-more ruffles-OH, MY was I surprised!!! And I see this years photos of Strawberry Hill are way more oetals & really pretty ruffles-WOW! They look more mature-prettier-like diffetent roses w/ soooo many more petals!

Sometimes first year roses are too small to have as many oetals as they will have when they get to be a big plant! Yours is growing bigger & blooms are maturing-give it time! It will be spectacular! Second year you get repeat blooms all the time.

Some of my first year roses I get 2-6 first year blooms-they are babies & sleep grow a little, Cinderella had about 6 blooms her first year 2021. This 2nd year in her first flush she had 40+ blooms! 2nd year roses are spectacular! no worries if your rose is slower in growth, blooming vigor, or less petals-it will all mutiple by second year. They say 3rd year they are a dream, too!!!

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

I'm so glad it's finally starting to show some promise! Thanks for your help and for providing all this great information. I've noticed my other prennials really start to shine in year 3 so I can imagine my roses will only get more beautiful. We'll see how they look at the end of this season. We're supposed to get some hot weather coming our way over the next few days, so that should definitely help my blooms.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)

Good Evening,

Todays Morden Blush

( I have 2 Morden Blush roses & one has little more shade/other in sun all day.80- 90F this week. The other rose in 90F today & afternoon shade has retained its color better….It just looks a little porcelain today….

Roses like ideal temps of 70sF-76F more or kess. Mine get burnt in 80F abd above because its humid and feels much hottier. My roses grow green canes fast in 80F , & bloom but wikt faster. Your summer os probably very lovely and mild weatger so-your roses will be lighter colored but keep their blooms a long time !

What’s your temps now?

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Beautiful roses Kitty! Today got up to 31 degrees and I think the rest of the week is around 28. We usually have very hot and humid summers but every now and then we get a bad season and the weather is cold and rainy like this year. Last year we barely had a drop of rain all summer and this year we had tons. My roses are still looking about the same but are in another blooming cycle, so I’m enjoying lots of flowers at the moment.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)

Hi, 31C equals 87F which is very hot esp when humid for me in NY. I am having 70-80 F mist of summer, too. However, I skso am having 90F this summer & some humidity which makes it too hot & burns my roses in full sun. My roses in morning sun/afternoon shade are retaining blooms better. It looks like our weatger is similar this summer, but you are getting a lot of rain and growing in that nice sun a lot. Yay-you have lots of blooms. The hot sun gives mine lots new growth canes/leaves which is good.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    last year

Check out this spray of blooms.

• Jo (Manitoba-Zone 3)
    Original Author
    last year

Wow, those are gorgeous L Clark!! Just beautiful.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@L Clark (zone 4 WY) Beautiful flush of Morden Blush. Mine is blooming a lot, had a flush, but not quite as much as your flush! Spectacular!

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    last year

Thanks. This is a great rose!! Can’t say enough good about it

• mmmm12COzone5
    last year

Those are really pretty blooms. Love how many petals they have!

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Morden Blush yesterday….I have 2 newbie bushes….

@L Clark (zone 4 WY)

Is your above post first or second year Morden Blush? I had a cluster bloom similar to yours a week or so ago… wish I took a photo.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living